Strike against Iran now "inexorable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strike against Iran now "inexorable"

Michael Hayden, CIA chief under President George W. Bush, said that during his tenure "a strike was way down the list of options." But he tells CNN's State of the Union that such action now "seems inexorable."
    http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/hayd...7/25/id/365566

Time to buy oil futures...

Edit: I personally believe Israel will strike first, and draw us into it.
    Last edited by katoa; 08-03-2010, 08:59 PM.

Originally posted by katoa View Post
    http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/hayd...7/25/id/365566

Time to buy oil futures...

Edit: I personally believe Israel will strike first, and draw us into it.
    New guy:

Can you please funnel all of your posts into one thread called "Liberal stuff"? Thanks in advance.
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
      New guy:

Can you please funnel all of your posts into one thread called "Liberal stuff"? Thanks in advance.
      Tim, you know, he might be right. He was right about Israel attacking Iraq over all those SCUD missiles.

(Translation with sarcastic filter: The Israelis are shrewd brinkmen.)
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

New guy:

I, sir, am no liberal (except in the libertarian "classical liberal" sense).

How is an opinion by Bush's CIA director that we are going to strike Iran soon, or my brief opinion he is probably wrong (thinking Israel would strike first), "liberal"?

I looked for another thread in the past 6 months discussing possible military conflict with Iran, finding none, thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss (again, not on the rightness or wrongness of the conflict, but on whether is was likely, and if so, whether we or Israel would initiate). Again, how is that topic "liberal"?

And by the way, real conservatives have always been the ones opposing military empires (as opposed to Staussian neocons).

Neoconservatism... originated in the 1970s as a movement of anti-Soviet liberals and social democrats in the tradition of Truman, Kennedy, Johnson, Humphrey and Henry ('Scoop') Jackson, many of whom preferred to call themselves 'paleoliberals.'

Comment

Originally posted by katoa View Post
          I, sir, am no liberal (except in the libertarian "classical liberal" sense).

How is an opinion by Bush's CIA director that we are going to strike Iran soon, or my brief opinion he is probably wrong (thinking Israel would strike first), "liberal"?

I looked for another thread in the past 6 months discussing possible military conflict with Iran, finding none, thought it might be an interesting topic to discuss (again, not on the rightness or wrongness of the conflict, but on whether is was likely, and if so, whether we or Israel would initiate). Again, how is that topic "liberal"?

And by the way, real conservatives have always been the ones opposing military empires (as opposed to Staussian neocons).
          So, where was it you are getting your masters again?
          "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Don't listen to them, katoa. You are one of the more interesting posters to come around in a while.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

New guy:

Why?
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I am a liberal, and find myself agreeing with katoa all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                  I am a liberal, and find myself agreeing with katoa all over the place.
                  I assume you haven't read his posts about taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                    I assume you haven't read his posts about taxes.
                    I'm one of those very rare liberal libertarians. I think that there are social challenges that are too big to be successfully addressed by the private market, and that governments that represent the collective will of a (relatively) free people are a reasonable tool for addressing the social needs where free markets fail to do so. Most libertarians are willing to acknowledge the role of government in some aspects of our lives, traditionally police, military, courts, and a minimal government bureaucracy. As a libertarian gets more 'liberal,' the legitimate role of government tends to expand to include things like public education, public roads and highways, public parks, and other public services. As a liberal libertarian, I'm willing to go even farther than that. Of course all of this gets paid for by taxes.

Katoa is a conservative libertarian. I'm a liberal libertarian. There is naturally going to be a good deal of overlap in our ideas.

Comment

New guy:

Don't be an asshole.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        Don't be an asshole.
                        or get as high as a mother%&ck^r!

But go ahead and slap the nurses on the ass, they like that stuff!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

IMO the ultimate need to eventually do something about Iran (and Saudi Arabia) is the real reason why we went into Iraq in the first place. Sadam was just dumb enough to give us an excuse (His betrayal by the Fench toadies that he thought he'd bought-off sealed the deal).

We can't launch US attacks from Israel. And while we can sometimes let them do the attacking (when attacking needs done), we can't always rely on them to do it. Sometimes them attacking will cause more harm than good. So we needed a presence. And we have one. And we're never going to leave. In 50 years, we'll still have troops in Iraq, just like we're still in Germany & Korea...

Comment

IMO, strike the nuke faculities in Iran is going to be very difficult. From what I have read, Iran has seen this coming and has dispursed their nuke program. It will not be a one and done like the Israeli stike on Iraq in 81. It will be a sustained campaign, more akin to the Serbia bombing campaign. From what I have read, some of the faculities are buried pretty deep, so getting them from the air will be very difficult.

This does not mean that we won't try, but I think it will be the USAF that attempts it and not Israel.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                              IMO, strike the nuke faculities in Iran is going to be very difficult. From what I have read, Iran has seen this coming and has dispursed their nuke program. It will not be a one and done like the Israeli stike on Iraq in 81. It will be a sustained campaign, more akin to the Serbia bombing campaign. From what I have read, some of the faculities are buried pretty deep, so getting them from the air will be very difficult.

This does not mean that we won't try, but I think it will be the USAF that attempts it and not Israel.
                              When you mention this, I was brought back to a book I read this past year from Vince Flynn.

Protect and Defend.

Link:
                              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Protect-Defend-Thriller-Mitch-Rapp/dp/074327041X"]Amazon.com: Protect and Defend: A Thriller (Mitch Rapp)…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51xqZPjn3iL.@@AMEPARAM@@51xqZPjn3iL[/ame]

Is is about Iran's nuke program and goes in-depth about it being deep underground etc. and it was between us and Israel who blows it up.

Good book and strangely coming true..

Comment

Working...
                              X