Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Freeman Solves the Race Problem

[YOUTUBE]I3cGfrExozQ[/YOUTUBE]

This is extremely interesting. As a High School Social Studies teacher, I am very uncomfortable with months assigned to celebrate various minorities, precisely because it seems so superficial. Blacks, Hispanics, Women all should be included in the curriculum throughout the school year. Part of me agrees with Morgan Freeman that we need to see people as people, but part of me feels like ignoring race won't get rid of racism. I see so much brown/black racism in my school and it seems like part of the reason it continues is because no one will address it and have meaningful dialogue about the issues surrounding racism.

Comment

Good points. I think one of the root causes of racism is fear. Mankind seems to be naturally afraid, and when they are most uncertain about their future (particularly economically) they seem to become more fearful about those that are different than themselves. I think this is perhaps part of the reason we are seeing such a rash of fear of Mexicans in our country - many, many people are struggling financially and feeling helpless.

Another core root cause, the one which Morgan Freeman seems to be suggesting, is focusing on groups rather than individuals. I really like this explanation:

Racism is an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism...

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence, not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

More importantly, in a free society every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Rather than looking to government to correct our sins, we should understand that racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty.

Comment

Working...
      X