The best of times, the worst of times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best of times, the worst of times

One thing many of you will understand is this: It is difficult to sustain a negative thought while watching the surf roll in on a sunny beach. So I am now in a reflective mood after yesterday's peevishness. (I am sure you are all delighted and relieved to know that.)

This is the best of times for devoted Ute fans. Getting into the PAC10 is simply huge for us and really a dream come true. Enough said about that.

This is in many ways the worst of times for devoted BYU fans. I won't say much about that because little needs to be said, just this: All Ute fans who are honest with ourselves know how we would feel if our positions were reversed.

This is also the worst of times for the rivalry and in many ways for this board (IMO). In it ahort history this board has been a pretty friendly place except as the fall progresses and the rivalry game approaches. Then the game is over, one side or the other gloats, bowls come along, and we mostly move on.

This year that pattern was disrupted by the conference realignment circus. It seems that all our rivalry sore spots have been rubbed raw, and it has been as if Rivalry Week -- when very few of us are at our best -- has been going on for three months now. Ute fans smugly hope that Utah will drop BYU from its schedule. BYU fans do all they can to devalue Utah's PAC-10 achievement. And those are just examples. It has gotten very old and I am beginning to hate it, and yesterday I overreacted to a couple of people (who, frankly, really ticked me off).

Time and the relentless surf, however, have added some perspective. Several things seem pretty sure to me now:
    • The rivalry will continue. I know this without a shadow of a doubt, with every fiber of my being. Seriously, ending it is just unimaginable.

• BYU football (and athletics generally) will be just fine. The Big 12 may well happen, creating terrific opportunities for the Cougs. Even that doesn't happen, some pretty smart people with a very broad perspective (I don't want to start a war, but many of us consider that perspective "inspiration") will still decide how best to use BYU's considerable (and in many cases unmatched) resources to advance the school's mission.

• Utah will have great opportunities going forward. Whether we will convert them into real achievements remains to be seen. There is a lot of work ahead for the University and its boosters.

• This board will be a fine place to hang out and have some very diverting fun. We may need a few months for the current "sore season" to pass, however.

• YOhio will always be a warthog-faced buffoon and a miserable vomitous mass. SU will always be a Rodent of Unusual Size. The jury's out on Lebowski.

That is all. Now I think I will go borrow a water bike and cruise around the Bay.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    The rivalry will continue. I know this without a shadow of a doubt, with every fiber of my being. Seriously, ending it is just unimaginable
    We're not playing in 2011, not unless one of our two road NC opponents intervenes on BYU's behalf (request?). And until we know our setup for Pac-1X games, it's premature to say we'll play BYU every year. With 9 conference games, we're not going to take up 2/3rds of our non-conference inventory with in-state opponents. Something's gotta give.

Comment

I think the "new" rivalry has been fun thus far. I just don't take any of this too seriously. SU is the worst ute troll anywhere, but he is one of the people here I would most like to meet for dinner sometime. Along with you of course, LA.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I think the "new" rivalry has been fun thus far. I just don't take any of this too seriously. SU is the worst ute troll anywhere, but he is one of the people here I would most like to meet for dinner sometime. Along with you of course, LA.
        Yeah, I agree and I would also meet SU and LA for dinner as long as they are buying.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
          Yeah, I agree and I would also meet SU and LA for dinner as long as they are buying.
          I have no interest in meeting either of them for dinner. They both seem like the types that would want me to buy dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            Ditto, except that I'd hate being SU's designated driver. It's a little disturbing that except for matters pertaining to the LDS Church and BYU, SU and I share a great deal in common.

LA should bring us all together for a pre-game mud wrestling match in November.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
              we're not going to take up 2/3rds of our non-conference inventory with in-state opponents.
              Why not? If it keeps selling out like it has there's no reason to get rid of it. It adds too much to the schedule.

When the other fanbase is buying season tickets to have access to that one game, it is definitely worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I have no interest in meeting either of them for dinner. They both seem like the types that would want me to buy dinner.
                I'll buy dinner for everyone who comes and is older than me.
                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

I'll buy dinner for everyone who comes and is older than me.
                  Joke's on you! Us warthogs will get fat(ter) feasting on the crumbs from your table!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Joke's on you! Us warthogs will get fat(ter) feasting on the crumbs from your table!
                    No, no, you need to get it right. You're no warthog, you're a warthog-faced buffoon. I don't want to demean a noble creature.
                    ― W.H. Auden

Comment

I agree that it really is a "new" rivalry. The old rivalry had familiar contours and familiar ups and downs. Now there is a conference rivalry overlaid on top of the existing emotions. In a year, and maybe even this year, there will be endless threads when any team from the Pac 10 or MWC wins or loses a game they aren't supposed to. I think in time it will become familiar and we will all settle in to it. I do think that the "balance of power" in terms of how both sets of fans think about themselves and their programs has shifted and that exposes a lot of emotion.

I think it will get worse before it gets better, but in a few years it will settle in to whatever the new "norm" is.

Comment

Personally, I don't care about Utah. I don't define myself by Utah. It's bothersome being in the same market and listen to Utah stuff in the media.

The rivalry doesn't make this board great. Interesting posts, unlike the original post in this thread, make this site great.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                          Personally, I don't care about Utah. I don't define myself by Utah. It's bothersome being in the same market and listen to Utah stuff in the media.

The rivalry doesn't make this board great. Interesting posts, unlike the original post in this thread, make this site great.
                          What do you suppose is the percentage of BYU fans who don't care about their arch-rival?
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

What do you suppose is the percentage of BYU fans who don't care about their arch-rival?
                            Fairly high. Especially for out of staters and for a lot of attendees of the institution. I root for Utah when they don't play BYU. I hope they do well in the Pac-10. I will be associated with them wherever I go anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                              Fairly high. Especially for out of staters and for a lot of attendees of the institution. I root for Utah when they don't play BYU. I hope they do well in the Pac-10. I will be associated with them wherever I go anyway.
                              Look, NMD, that was not a helpful answer and it really kind of blunted my point. Can't you do better than that?
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                              X