Lethbridge F-18 plane crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lethbridge F-18 plane crash

I don't know if any of you caught this over the weekend, but there was a spectacular F-18 plane crash at my hometowns airshow. It was a practice run the day before the event.

Check it out:

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...219/story.html

The video at the bottom is amazing.

We were driving through there last year when it was going on and pulling into town at sunset we saw these lights flying across the sky super fast. The sun was reflecting off of the planes so they looked liked they lit up. It was pretty cool.

Also notice that "staying alive" is playing in the background over the PA system when the plane goes down.

It is nice to know that the song rang true here.

Comment

There are some great photos of this at:

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...terjet-crashes

The music was quite appropriate.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I don't know if any of you caught this over the weekend, but there was a spectacular F-18 plane crash at my hometowns airshow. It was a practice run the day before the event.

Check it out:

We were driving through there last year when it was going on and pulling into town at sunset we saw these lights flying across the sky super fast. The sun was reflecting off of the planes so they looked liked they lit up. It was pretty cool.
        You can tell he's not a great pilot because of how he handled his throttle during the stall. He had afterburners on and tried to just power through, but at such a low altitude that kind of power will cause loss of control.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Wasn't Lethbridge a Mormon colony?
          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
            Wasn't Lethbridge a Mormon colony?
            There are lots of Mormon towns a little south of there. Stirling, Raymond, Magrath and Cardston. Lethbridge wasn't establish by Mormons though.

I've heard conflicting reports about Lethbridge while growing up there. I've heard the locals liked them because they had experience with irrigation, but I've also heard they weren't welcome and it was tough to get a job or a house there.

Probably both have some truth to them.

Comment

There are lots of Mormon towns a little south of there. Stirling, Raymond, Magrath and Cardston. Lethbridge wasn't establish by Mormons though.

I've heard conflicting reports about Lethbridge while growing up there. I've heard the locals liked them because they had experience with irrigation, but I've also heard they weren't welcome and it was tough to get a job or a house there.

I'm a dual citizen via Raymond, home of some of the best football players in the whole province(in part because of BYU love, no doubt).

Comment

I was up at Hill AFB years ago when one of their fighters went into the ground. It was during the show and the pilot didn't punch out in order to keep the plane from hitting nearby homes. It was freaky.

I remember the emergency trucks all lighting up their lights and sirens and people jumping in front of them to take photos like it was part of the show while the responders yelled at the crowds to get out of the way.

Sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                  I was up at Hill AFB years ago when one of their fighters went into the ground. It was during the show and the pilot didn't punch out in order to keep the plane from hitting nearby homes. It was freaky.

I remember the emergency trucks all lighting up their lights and sirens and people jumping in front of them to take photos like it was part of the show while the responders yelled at the crowds to get out of the way.

Sad day.
                  If it was the same one I am thinking about it was in 1980 and the Thunderbirds were flying T-38s. It seemed like the tail section was in that field for about a month before they halled it away.

That crash is on of the reasons that U193 along the south end of the HAFB runway is a no parking zone today.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
                    That crash is on of the reasons that U193 along the south end of the HAFB runway is a no parking zone today.
                    Really? I remember watching planes land from the north/south road just off 193 south of the runway with my dad when i was younger, and I'm pretty sure the signage there prohibiting parking and watching is post-9/11.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

So are you a Pronghorn fan?
                      I have nothing else to say at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
                        So are you a Pronghorn fan?

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                          Really? I remember watching planes land from the north/south road just off 193 south of the runway with my dad when i was younger, and I'm pretty sure the signage there prohibiting parking and watching is post-9/11.
                          Yep, There was a commanders call just after I started working at Hill, Somebody asked the question and the then CG said that was the main reason.

After 9/11 they put more of it off limits and ran the off limits area down Ft. Lane for about a half mile and put barriers up at the intersection of Ft Lane and U193

EDIT

The signage was there before 9/11 but as the memory of the crash faded they got kind of lax about enforcing it
                          Last edited by happyone; 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Check it out:

One of those photos looks crazy because the pilot seems to be directly next to the fire as he is landing on the ground...

Comment

Originally posted by camleish View Post
                              You can tell he's not a great pilot because of how he handled his throttle during the stall. He had afterburners on and tried to just power through, but at such a low altitude that kind of power will cause loss of control.
                              Are you sure about that? He was a demonstration pilot, one of the best. He was doing a high-alpha pass, nose up, very slow, basically sitting on the engine thrust. One of the engines blew chunks, and the plane yawed right, with little margin for error. In other photos I've seen from other angles, you can see one engine's nozzle wide open, the other closed. Not much anyone could do at that point but punch out.

Comment

Working...
                              X