TV Deal for Pac-12 could be comcastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Deal for Pac-12 could be comcastic

Lets hope Larry Scott learned from Hair Thompson about what not to do with getting your channel around the country before he signs with the devil
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Does this mean DirecTV is going to drop Versus right before football season again?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
      Does this mean DirecTV is going to drop Versus right before football season again?
      Is it back on directtv right now?
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
        I'm hoping it means Versus is moved to the basic tier on Dish. That would make a move back to dish much more appealing to me.

Now if they would just get the mtn. or have BYU move out of the MWC....

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          Is it back on directtv right now?
          Yeah, it came back some time after football season.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I don't care which broadcaster buys the rights, just as long as I can see my team. Considering that Comcast is purchasing a majority stake of NBC, I'm not too worried about a Comcast/PAC-10 partnership. That may put PAC-10 games on NBC each week.

The downside is that NBC is a single channel, and I don't think my Utes are going to be the ones highlighted, and I don't believe NBC has a sports only family of channels like Disney (ESPN family of channels), CBS (CBSC, Versus), or Fox (Fox Sports family of channels), so I really don't know what channel my Utes would end up playing on.

I guess the other option is a PAC-10 network partnership with Comcast. I guess the question is would Dish and DirecTV pick up a PAC-10/Comcast channel? They currently carry the BIG-10 network which is owned by the BIG-10/Fox Cable Network. That's the biggest problem with The Mtn IMO.

Unless, of course, they would allow local channels to pickup games that aren't broadcast on national/regional networks. Then maybe we'd see them on KTVX or KJZZ again, but only locally. I don't think the current TV contract with the Mtn allows that.
            Last edited by U-Ute; 07-23-2010, 02:58 PM. Reason: The local option.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
              The downside is that NBC is a single channel, and I don't think my Utes are going to be the ones highlighted, and I don't believe NBC has a sports only family of channels like Disney (ESPN family of channels), CBS (CBSC, Versus), or Fox (Fox Sports family of channels), so I really don't know what channel my Utes would end up playing on.
              Versus is owned by Comcast.

NBC also has a Universal Sports channel.

Comment

The NBC conglomerate owns the USA Network, Bravo, and the Syfy channel on top of their news channels. They also own Hulu.

Best-case scenario, NBC takes the "Game of the Week"; Versus shows two others, and maybe they decide to show games on MSNBC (which would bump the "How to Catch a Predator" marathons they run on the weekends) or USA network. I'm also assuming all PAC-10 games will continue to be shown on ESPN's GamePlan package, if not the family of ESPN networks. On top of that, every single PAC-10 game is available streaming for free through either Hulu or the PAC-10 site.

Moral of the story, Mr. Larry Scott: make the TV deal look like the Big Ten, and make the online presence look like the SEC.
                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  Versus is owned by Comcast.
                  I stand corrected.

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  NBC also has a Universal Sports channel.
                  Like I said...

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                  The NBC conglomerate owns the USA Network, Bravo, and the Syfy channel on top of their news channels. They also own Hulu.
                  Oh, I know they have a lot of channels, but none of them are geared towards only sports. Maybe they'll launch one to keep up with the Jones's.

I'm also assuming all PAC-10 games will continue to be shown on ESPN's GamePlan package, if not the family of ESPN networks. On top of that, every single PAC-10 game is available streaming for free through either Hulu or the PAC-10 site.
                  That, does not suck.

Moral of the story, Mr. Larry Scott: make the TV deal look like the Big Ten, and make the online presence look like the SEC.
                  I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                    Oh, I know they have a lot of channels, but none of them are geared towards only sports. Maybe they'll launch one to keep up with the Jones's.
                    Call me naive (or optimistic), but it really wouldn't surprise me if they chose to show games on the USA Network or MSNBC. I know TNT/TBS are a different animal, but it seems like things are going ok for them when they're showing sports without being a sports channel.
                    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Working...
                    X