The new LDS Ute smackdown is not unclever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new LDS Ute smackdown is not unclever

I've seen this rejoinder a number of times now: BYU should attend to spiritual things, forget the worldly. Give up football, etc. It's a nice rejoinder smackdown to Lord's University smack, if you're an LDS Ute. (I think LA pioneered it; I can tell he's a great lawyer.)

Where I sit, I'm of two minds. I agree with Ute fans in a sense. The way I'd put it is BYU is this unusual department of a religion masquerading as a university, and is intolerably trying to attain two irreconcilable ends. But I agree with BYU fans who are trying to get BYU to embrace the worldly and tear itself away from the suffocating, overbearing and ultimately domineering religious element of its culture.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I've seen this rejoinder a number of times now: BYU should attend to spiritual things, forget the worldly. Give up football, etc. It's a nice rejoinder smackdown to Lord's University smack, if you're an LDS Ute. (I think LA pioneered it; I can tell he's a great lawyer.)

Where I sit, I'm of two minds. I agree with Ute fans in a sense. The way I'd put it is BYU is this unusual department of a religion masquerading as a university, and is intolerably trying to attain two irreconcilable ends. But I agree with BYU fans who are trying to get BYU to embrace the worldly and tear itself away from the suffocating, overbearing and ultimately domineering religious element of its culture.
    We get it. You are a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus View Post
      We get it. You are a troll.
      No, I'm being sincere. This is who I am; what I believe; what I feel deeply. Deeply. I feel it deeply. I feel deeply that BYU is a bad thing. I feel deeply. (I'm not angry; on the contrary; just trying to help.)
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
      X