Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holmoe press conference

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/b...rence.html.csp

However, he said the Pac-10 never offered an explanation to him or other BYU officials as to why it had no interest. He said the conference didn't extend a courtesy call.
    "You would have to ask the Pac-10" those questions, he said, noting that all he knows is what he's read or heard Pac-10 officials say in the media.
    As far as continuing its rivalry with Utah, Holmoe said BYU wants to continue to play the Utes in all sports if that is at all possible. He said he didn't want to speak for Utah athletic director Chris Hill, but that the vibe he has gotten from Hill is that the Utes want to continue playing BYU as well.
    Asked if BYU has explored the possibility of going independent with no conference affiliation, Holmoe said the school has "looked at all its options, and will continue to do so." He stressed that athletic directors don't make decisions of that magnitude; rather, those are made by school presidents and boards of directors.
    Finally, when asked if he or football coach Bronco Mendenhall had any input at all on whether the school would re-admit football star Harvey Unga in time for the 2010 season (after Unga withdrew in April for Honor Code violations), Holmoe said he had no part in that decision at all, and was not consulted by the dean of students who made the decision.
    I don't know about you, but when I read this, I feel totally confident. We've got an intelligent, competent, powerful man in the AD position.

"I don't know...Maybe...They didn't talk to me...I wasn't involved in that decision...They wouldn't ask me if they made a decision like that...No, they didn't ask my opinion on that...Not sure, ask someone else....But, HEY, we have Gifford Nielson in town!"

Seriously. Why does anyone in the media even bother asking this guy any questions.

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

I don't know about you, but when I read this, I feel totally confident. We've got an intelligent, competent, powerful man in the AD position.

"I don't know...Maybe...They didn't talk to me...I wasn't involved in that decision...They wouldn't ask me if they made a decision like that...No, they didn't ask my opinion on that...Not sure, ask someone else....But, HEY, we have Gifford Nielson in town!"

Seriously. Why does anyone in the media even bother asking this guy any questions.

Because school presidents don't do interviews on these subjects.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

A courtesy call? Seriously? He expected Larry Scott to kiss his ring, then explain why BYU wasn't being considered?

If you've been preparing for conference expansion for three years, do you really need someone from the Pac-10 to tell you what you should already know? Aren't you long past the point of needing to get the lowdown from a kingmaker like Scott?

I wonder if BSU's AD is feeling as "slighted" as Holmoe was.

Comment

Because "there's opportunities—great opportunities for BYU that did not exist last week."
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
          A courtesy call? Seriously? He expected Larry Scott to kiss his ring, then explain why BYU wasn't being considered?

If you've been preparing for conference expansion for three years, do you really need someone from the Pac-10 to tell you what you should already know? Aren't you long past the point of needing to get the lowdown from a kingmaker like Scott?

I wonder if BSU's AD is feeling as "slighted" as Holmoe was.
          If I could ask Scott one question, this is what it would be: "Were you told not to talk to BYU under any conditions?"

Comment

It is a stupid thing to say, but in fairness it looks like he was responding to a (stupid) question from the news media.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

It should be obvious to everyone that the Pac-10 didn't want BYU. A courtesy call from Scott wasn't necessary. Of course, the California and it's state schools are on the fast path to bankruptcy so it may not matter much in the end. Scott better hope that he can get the money in the new contracts that he think he can or the Pac-10+2 may have his head on a stick. Even the optimist, Holmoe, thinks that the new TV contracts for both the Big 12-2 and Pac-10+2 could come in at less than expected:

[Holmoe] said BYU is watching the stability of the Big 12 (-2). He dismissed the idea that if the new TV contract comes in significantly less than projected - which he believes it could for the Big 12 and Pac-10 - that it would throw a wrench in the 10 remaining schools' commitment to stay together.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
                If I could ask Scott one question, this is what it would be: "Were you told not to talk to BYU under any conditions?"
                That's a damn good question. I might rephrase it as such: "Were you told by any of your current member schools not to talk to BYU under any conditions."

Comment

That's a damn good question. I might rephrase it as such: "Were you told by any of your current member schools not to talk to BYU under any conditions."
                  That would like asking him "did anyone tell you not to eat a chili cheese dog during the last 3 months."

Comment

Might be better to get right to the point and ask Scott: "Was BYU ever even considered by the PAC10 as a possible expansion partner?" It would be interesting to know.
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                      Might be better to get right to the point and ask Scott: "Was BYU ever even considered by the PAC10 as a possible expansion partner?" It would be interesting to know.
                      It's amazing to me how interested the Utes are in this thread. Move on. You guys have just nearly won the war. Act like you're winning not losing.

Comment

It's amazing to me how interested the Utes are in this thread. Move on. You guys have just nearly won the war. Act like you're winning not losing.
                        Oh, it just comes up continually, mainly because of news media questions like the one I was criticizing about a "courtesy call," and also because so many BYU fans can't get over the idea that Utah got a PAC10 spot that in a just world would be the Y's. This is an interesting subject. Besides, we haven't "won" at all because BYU's admission to the Big 12 is imminent, a done deal,and that's a much cooler conference to be in. Just ask Red Legger.
                        ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Act like you're winning not losing.
                          I've been told by more than one Utah fan that such sentiment isn't allowed on this site -- that we're supposed to suck up to the insecurities of BYU fans. So I'm trying to play nice here.

Comment

You can make anyone sound like an idiot if you cherry pick the right statements.
                            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

So is this something that Holmoe started doing just recently? Has he done these in the past? The timing of this seems kind of odd especially because I can't remember him doing these in the past. I honestly don't even know why this press conference was even necessary. Sorry, just being honest.
                              Last edited by Hot Lunch; 07-17-2010, 11:33 AM.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X