On CU going to the Pac 10(12)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On CU going to the Pac 10(12)...

I don't believe the Utes will have much of a rivalry there. Thought ya'll might enjoy this from a UT blog:

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2...-ass-mountain/

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

I like you Red Legger. Please stick around.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Did the Utes make a mistake?

Here's a nice article from the KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/03...-football.html

If you'll notice in the article, the lowest paid Big 12 member, K-State, received only $8.4 million from the Big 12 last year. Yet that was more than the Pac 10 distributed to its 10 members. The Big 12 distribution will likely increase by 1/3 in 2012 as FSN is reported to be ready to double its $20 mill/year payment to the Big 12 for teevee rights. In 2015 depending on the economy (and Big 12 internal politics), the Big 12 is likely to sign the most lucrative teevee deal w/ ABC/ESPN as they will be desparate to stay on the air on Saturday's in the fall and w/ college basketball. Whatever the Pac 10 signs w/ Fox, the Big 12 will do better if it makes the right moves by keeping UT happy, retains the Denver market and enters the SLC market.

That being said, who's gonna be better off:
      1-CU Buffs/Utah Utes playing in the middle of the night on the West Coast against a bunch of dope smoking hippies who don't give a rip about college football or
      2-BYU/? (CSU) playing on prime time Saturday afternoons in Tejas/Oklahoma where football is a freaking religion. To top it off, BYU will retain its own local network rights (which is what kept UT in the Big 12) probably allowing the Cougars full broadcasting rights to one or two football games per year and most of their pre-conference MBB games (and all the womyn's BB games).

The Big Loser in this entire game has to be the Buffs (well, them and Mizzou who are the biggest losers ever). Not only have they walked away from a better paying gig, they've opened up their market to the Big 12 (CSU/AirForce), increased their travel budget, shot their MNC history in the Big 8, blown their rivalries up, etc etc. Can anyone imagine Coach Mac in the Pac 10? All because they didn't want to associate w/ 'Corn Country' anymore. Rock Chalk Rammies.

'Kansas farmers should raise less corn and more hell.'-Mary Lease, 19th century Kansas Populist

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou
      Last edited by Red Legger; 07-09-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Legger View Post
        Here's a nice article from the KC Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/03...-football.html

That being said, who's gonna be better off:
        1-CU Buffs/Utah Utes playing in the middle of the night on the West Coast against a bunch of dope smoking hippies who don't give a rip about college football or
        2-BYU/? (CSU) playing on prime time Saturday afternoons in Tejas/Oklahoma where football is a freaking religion. To top it off, BYU will retain its own local network rights (which is what kept UT in the Big 12) probably allowing the Cougars full broadcasting rights to one or two football games per year and most of their pre-conference MBB games (and all the womyn's BB games).

I had no idea that BYU is going to get in the Big 12. Congrats. Good for the Cougars. When are they leaving the MWC? Has it been decided to be 2011 or 2012?

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah
          or playing at anytime during the day on a network no one has or watches.

I'm pretty sure whatever network(s) the PAC-12 ends up on will be better than the mtn.
          I'm not familiar with the intricacies of our Pac-12 TV deal, but there's some real odd ducks to deal with in the Big 12. To wit:

1. Red Legger mentioned "local TV rights" for Big 12 football. Complete and total misnomer, because there aren't any that BYU (or Utah) fans are used to and prefer, ie, free over-the-air broadcasts like in the old days with KSL. Those body-bag games you'll have to schedule with a tougher conference slate? They're not going to get picked up by the networks, and will only be available on PPV at $30 a pop. Bottom line is this -- not every game involving every Big 12 team is televised.

2. The Six-Day Window. This one's a real doozy. Go look at the schedule of any Big 12 school right now, and see if you notice a glaring omission across the board. Almost none of the conference games have TV times set to them, and three times per year, ABC can invoke a six-day window before announcing the times to the following Saturday's games. And this is done almost exclusively during the conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
            I had no idea that BYU is going to get in the Big 12. Congrats. Good for the Cougars. When are they leaving the MWC? Has it been decided to be 2011 or 2012?
            Yes! It's not fair for Red Legger to swoop in here from the great State of Kansas and give us only part of the information. Why can't he be more like MBN and give us at least half the story?

(You know I love you, MBN.)
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I like Red Legger. I hope the Ute Fans don't run him/her off.

I guess that's the chance we take when we have a fairly open board.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  I like Red Legger. I hope the Ute Fans don't run him/her off.

I guess that's the chance we take when we have a fairly open board.
                  You only like him/her because he/she says stuff that's (slyly) negative about Utah. Admit it!
                  Last edited by LA Ute; 07-10-2010, 08:26 AM.
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

I do not believe I've posted anything negative about the Utes. I have been negative toward the Pac 10/CU (and Mizzou, of course).

Comment

I do not believe I've posted anything negative about the Utes. I have been negative toward the Pac 10/CU (and Mizzou, of course).
                      Like I said, you are sly. Just like MBN.
                      ― W.H. Auden

Comment

An attack on the PAC is an attack on every Ute fan here! MBN is right, watch yourself or we will kick you out of here. Just because there are only seven of us doesn't mean we can't do it.
                        "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                        "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                        "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Red Legger, stick around.

As you can see, these Ute Fans are a sensitive lot. I thought Pac 10 ascendance would have an ameliorative effect, but I guess it will take some time. They're not all bad, though.

Comment

Do you follow Big 12 football like at all?

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              Red Legger, stick around.

As you can see, these Ute Fans are a sensitive lot. I thought Pac 10 ascendance would have an ameliorative effect, but I guess it will take some time. They're not all bad, though.
                              We have our eyes on you both, buddy: The Sly Assassin and his Faux Kansas Cousin.
                              Last edited by LA Ute; 07-10-2010, 05:34 PM.
                              ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                              X