On a cold day in Des Moines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a cold day in Des Moines

in a late-1999 Presidential Debate this question was posed to the field of six candidates, "Which political philosopher or thinker do you most identify with and why?"

Steve Forbes had the first shot and he came back with John Locke and Thomas Jefferson.

Allen Keyes generically referenced the Founders.

The next answer was given by then Governor George W. Bush and it stole the headlines, "Christ, because he changed my heart." Bush was lambasted for this naked appeal to the religious right, as well as what appeared to be an unrefined political philosophy.

Orrin Hatch had the unenviable task of following Bush, responding with Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. He also bore testimony of Christ as his Savior.

McCain, as only he could do, used his opportunity to praise the virtues of Teddy Roosevelt and he did so convincingly.

Finally Gary Bauer had his shot and elaborated on the answer of Governor Bush, quoting scripture to demonstrate his admiration of Christ as a political thinker.

It's easy to criticize the answers of the field, but with only 30 seconds to address such a deep question they had a tough job. In the over ten years since watching the debate I've thought back to the question. What would my answer be? What constitutes a political philosopher or thinker? A politician like Reagan, Roosevelt or Lincoln? The Founding Fathers? Religious figures like Christ or Muhammed? Or are we limited to someone like John Locke, a political philosopher?

I'm curious as to what drives the political thinking behind our Water Cooler participants. What political philosophers or thinkers do you most identify with? There is no wrong answer.

Niccolo Machiavelli
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      in a late-1999 Presidential Debate this question was posed to the field of six candidates, "Which political philosopher or thinker do you most identify with and why?"

Steve Forbes had the first shot and he came back with John Locke and Thomas Jefferson.

Allen Keyes generically referenced the Founders.

The next answer was given by then Governor George W. Bush and it stole the headlines, "Christ, because he changed my heart." Bush was lambasted for this naked appeal to the religious right, as well as what appeared to be an unrefined political philosophy.

Orrin Hatch had the unenviable task of following Bush, responding with Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. He also bore testimony of Christ as his Savior.

McCain, as only he could do, used his opportunity to praise the virtues of Teddy Roosevelt and he did so convincingly.

Finally Gary Bauer had his shot and elaborated on the answer of Governor Bush, quoting scripture to demonstrate his admiration of Christ as a political thinker.

It's easy to criticize the answers of the field, but with only 30 seconds to address such a deep question they had a tough job. In the over ten years since watching the debate I've thought back to the question. What would my answer be? What constitutes a political philosopher or thinker? A politician like Reagan, Roosevelt or Lincoln? The Founding Fathers? Religious figures like Christ or Muhammed? Or are we limited to someone like John Locke, a political philosopher?

I'm curious as to what drives the political thinking behind our Water Cooler participants. What political philosophers or thinkers do you most identify with? There is no wrong answer.
      Only one answer for a Democrat: Karl Marx.

That is for IPU, dabrockster, and Hallelujah

Comment

Peter Griffin

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about."

Peter: We all love the bible in this house.
        Francis: Really? What's your favourite book of the bible.
        Peter: Umm ... the one where Jesus swallows the puzzle piece, and the man in a big yellow hat has to take him to the hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          Niccolo Machiavelli
          That would have been a great answer. Not politically smart, but great.

Comment

PickleButton
            Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
              Only one answer for a Democrat: Karl Marx.

That is for IPU, dabrockster, and Hallelujah
              A refreshingly honest reply.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Working...
              X