Next Step for Tea Party: Nullification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Step for Tea Party: Nullification

Well, I suppose it was inevitable. Just got an e-mail about a new project where a political activist wants to send a copy of a book on nullification to every member of the Utah legislature.

http://www.utahnullification.com/

Here is the book in question:

http://www.thomasewoods.com/books/nullification/

Nullification is basically where a state unilaterally decides that a federal law is unconstitutional and consequently refuses to obey it. South Carolina tried this back during the Jackson presidency over a tariff dispute and it almost led a military conflict. In many ways, it was a precursor to secession.

Nullification Crisis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose this is the logical evolution of the tea party movement. I wonder when they will start promoting secession? I say six months from now.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-06-2010, 04:27 PM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I wonder when they will start promoting secession? I say six months from now.
    The intriguing question is whether they will still pronounce it "sea-session" with the emphasis on the first syllable.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      The intriguing question is whether they will still pronounce it "sea-session" with the emphasis on the first syllable.
      Whatever you say, Nero.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
        Whatever you say, Nero.
        Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          Huh?
          Yes, some jokes really bomb. As did this one. See, the country is falling apart and you are talking about how to rponounce the word as being the most intriguing part. Rome is burning and Nero is enjoying the fire while playing his fiddle. As soon as I pushed 'submit reply' I htought 'bad idea' but, hey, I didnt get where I am by second guessing!
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Yes, some jokes really bomb. As did this one. See, the country is falling apart and you are talking about how to rponounce the word as being the most intriguing part. Rome is burning and Nero is enjoying the fire while playing his fiddle. As soon as I pushed 'submit reply' I htought 'bad idea' but, hey, I didnt get where I am by second guessing!
            It would have been funny but for my ignorance.

Comment

I suppose this is the logical evolution of the tea party movement. I wonder when they will start promoting secession? I say six months from now.
              Of course, just like communism is the logical evolution of any liberal movement.
              sigpic
              "Outlined against a blue, gray
              October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
              Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                Of course, just like communism is the logical evolution of any liberal movement.
                Exactly!

So you watch Fox News too?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Exactly!

It's a slippery slope, no matter which direction you turn.
                  "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                  "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                  "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Exactly!

Are Hannity and Beck considered Fox News or are you just using it as short for Fox News Channel?

Comment

I am going to ignore this hijack and try to get back the thread topic.

Doesn't anyone find the idea of nullification interesting? It was a disaster for South Carolina so I am curious to see how they think it would fly now. Not sure I have the time to read the book but I am wondering if anyone here has been privy to discussions/articles related to the modern incarnation of the tactic.

Comment

Oh. I thought it was a reference to "sea-cession", which sounds like "c-section", or "Caesarian section."
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

I am going to ignore this hijack and try to get back the thread topic.

Doesn't anyone find the idea of nullification interesting? It was a disaster for South Carolina so I am curious to see how they think it would fly now. Not sure I have the time to read the book but I am wondering if anyone here has been privy to discussions/articles related to the modern incarnation of the tactic.
                          I'm all for nullification, if you're talking about the Supreme Court declaring a law unconstitutional. States don't get to declare laws unconstitutional. We tried that, and it doesn't work.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            I'm all for nullification, if you're talking about the Supreme Court declaring a law unconstitutional. States don't get to declare laws unconstitutional. We tried that, and it doesn't work.
                            I read the Andrew Jackson bio last year (great book, btw) and obviously a big part of the book was related to the nullification crisis.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/American-Lion-Andrew-Jackson-Notable/dp/0812973461/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278463042&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House (New York Times Notable Books) (9780812973464): Jon…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IJontUykL.@@AMEPARAM@@51IJontUykL[/ame]

Jackson was a fascinating character. Extremely gifted in many ways, yet deeply flawed. He seemed to make good decisions overall during the nullification crises. I think he may have delayed the Civil War for a time at least.

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                              Word. Although, jefferson davis did think it was a pretty badass idea...
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                              X