Jayhawk fan of BYU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jayhawk fan of BYU

I've been following ya'lls pursuit of a BCS league w/ a lot of interest. A couple of points:

1-Are ya'll sure ya'll want to be in the same league as Teja$? Deloss Dodds is an old Kansan that's went fairly nuts playing w/ all that Burnt Orange money. If KU/Ksuck could get out from under the T-cups, we'd both do it in a heartbeat. We're just kinda addicted to that extra $10-15 million/year that makes Allen Fieldouse the basketball palace it has become. That ain't happening w/out those 30 million Tejas teevee sets.

2-Ya'll will be in the Big 12 soon enough. The question is who is coming w/ you. New Mexico/CSU? It will not be TCU. Baylor has made that clear and the northern schools will not allow anymore Tejas influence in this league. I've heard Tech making noise about their rivalry w/ New Mexico, but KU losing the Denver market is a blow to the Red Leggers. There are probably as many Jayhawkers in Denver as there are Buffs (including a real important one named Phil Anschutz). Losing that game at AFH West (ie the Coors Events Center) is a bigger blow than the rest of the Big 12(10) understands. It's a Jayhawker winter tradition to build a ski holiday around the Red Legger's visit to AFH West (ie Coors Events Center). Honestly, I expect Bill Self to start scheduling Colorado State just to retain a venue in that market. And on the backside, Teja$ and the rest of the Big 12 might feel like sticking it to the Buffs by replacing em w/ the Rams. Only difference between CSU Rams and the KSU Mildcats is one Bill Snyder and one Cotton Fitzimmons. An extra $10 million from the league can buy that.

3-Beating OU last fall really helped ya'll. OU folks here in Wichita think the world of BYU football. Most think that BYU would replace UNL nicely plus road trips to Provo sound much nicer than gawd awful Lincoln w/ its prisons and dreary landscape. Besides, for the last 10 years, BYU has played much better football than the Cornganstas.

4-Ya'll will like Kansas Memorial Stadium. 50,000 folks enjoying Arthur Bryant BBQ smoke beneath Campanile Hill. And this is KC BBQ. Beef. Not the squirrels they smoke in North Carolina and call BBQ. One of those great MidWestern football venues on perhaps the most gorgeous campus in the country straddling Mount Oread between the Wakarusa and the Kaw. I would suggest ya'll visit the Free State Brewery, however, ya'll have standards. Also, this playing on Sundays will not be an issue in the Big 12. Even the Tejan$ respect folk's standards. We're not the Pac whatever.

5-Ya'll will hate Missoura. Everything about em. Everyone does. Hard to think of a positive thing about Missoura. They are savages who once invaded Kansas and were only repealed by the Abolitionists, the Jayhawkers and the Red Leggers standing tall for the Free State. When ya'll join the Big 12, I regret that your young men and womyn will have to visit gawd forsaken Columbia Missoura. Just plug your nose and hide your eyes from all the XXX signs/fireworks advertisements/walnut bowl festivals you'll have to endure getting there.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Welcome!

I have similar Texas concerns, but think I would like the Big-12, especially Kansas basketball two times a year.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Red Legger View Post
      2-Ya'll will be in the Big 12 soon enough. The question is who is coming w/ you. New Mexico/CSU? It will not be TCU. Baylor has made that clear and the northern schools will not allow anymore Tejas influence in this league. I've heard Tech making noise about their rivalry w/ New Mexico, but KU losing the Denver market is a blow to the Red Leggers. There are probably as many Jayhawkers in Denver as there are Buffs (including a real important one named Phil Anschutz). Losing that game at AFH West (ie the Coors Events Center) is a bigger blow than the rest of the Big 12(10) understands. It's a Jayhawker winter tradition to build a ski holiday around the Red Legger's visit to AFH West (ie Coors Events Center). Honestly, I expect Bill Self to start scheduling Colorado State just to retain a venue in that market. And on the backside, Teja$ and the rest of the Big 12 might feel like sticking it to the Buffs by replacing em w/ the Rams. Only difference between CSU Rams and the KSU Mildcats is one Bill Snyder and one Cotton Fitzimmons. An extra $10 million from the league can buy that.

5-Ya'll will hate Missoura. Everything about em. Everyone does. Hard to think of a positive thing about Missoura. They are savages who once invaded Kansas and were only repealed by the Abolitionists, the Jayhawkers and the Red Leggers standing tall for the Free State. When ya'll join the Big 12, I regret that your young men and womyn will have to visit gawd forsaken Columbia Missoura. Just plug your nose and hide your eyes from all the XXX signs/fireworks advertisements/walnut bowl festivals you'll have to endure getting there.
      Welcome.

Two things:

1. It's hard to argue that BYU doesnt' have a lot of desirable qualities for a BCS conference. Their two biggest barriers are Sunday play and a dance partner. If the Horned Frogs are ruled out without argument (and Houston/SMU for the same reasons), it's awfully hard to find team #12. CSU isn't a great draw, especially since their football program has been down since 2003. New Mexico would be a great fit basketball-wise, and having a rivalry with Texas Tech is a nice touch, but they don't offer much outside of that. SDSU and UNLV both offer strong basketball programs, but massively underachieving football programs (considering their bountiful recruiting territories) and perhaps too many miles, travel-wise. Arkansas has a really sweet deal in the SEC. Unless you want to look at wooing a Big East or C-USA team (which is possible, and I've heard Cincinnati bandied about, but unlikely), the Big 12 is stuck.

2. The Mormons got kicked out of Missouri. They'll relish giving them the what-for 180 years later. You know, because there's a lot of lingering bad blood.

Hope to see you stick around. Maybe you can keep the folks with UT and OU sympathies in check.
      Last edited by BoylenOver; 07-06-2010, 05:46 AM.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Fast forward to the 8:00 mark

[YOUTUBE]DHfNq6A0StI[/YOUTUBE]
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I used to walk with my dad to games in the Allen Fieldhouse to watch Darnell Valentine, Paul Mokeski, Ken Koenigs, et al. Great times. I'd love to be in a league with Kansas basketball, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I've been following ya'lls pursuit of a BCS league w/ a lot of interest. A couple of points:

. . .

Good post. I was roomates for several years with a huge KU fan. A few of us traveled to Lawrence sometime around Dec. 2001 to watch KU beat Wake. (For reference, it was the game that Mangino was announced as the new coach.) After BYU, I would say that my second favorite college bball team is Kansas.

KU's campus is indeed very beautiful. I had a great time.
            "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
            "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
            This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
            "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
            "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Great spot for my first post... first off man: hate, Missouri, and Mormons... put those three words in any order and it works (granted Zion is supposed to be in Missouri according to the doctrine... but I digress). I'd love to beat up on those kitties on a yearly basis if we did get in the Big XII-2. I served as a missionary in Misery... I mean Missouri for 6 grueling months, and it was like winning the lottery when I got transferred back to Illinois for the rest of my mission.

Second, I'd absolutely love to see Kansas fans faces when they walk into the Marriott Center... definitely a hidden gem on the College basketball scene. And vice-versa, I've been dying for a chance to go to KU for a game. I worked with Bill Riley (the Utah Sports Radio version... not the Fox News screamer), and he is a die-hard Kansas guy who has had me licking my chops to go for a while.

Your right about Kansas City and the BBQ's, went through there with the Tabernacle Choir last year and got hooked of the food and the City (and the ridiculously nice basketball arena that really needs a team)... I wish I could see a BYU move soon (like the C-boarders want you to believe) but am not getting my hopes too high. BYU is unique, and a tough fit for anybody, I understand that and cheer them on anyway... but here's hoping for the best, and the Mid-West for BYU.

Comment

It's nice when a thread produces a twofer; glad to have both Red Legger and PolyCoug aboard. I'm unclear whether PolyCoug is a descendant of Hagoth, or simply an aficionado of synthetic fabric, but hope both of you will head over to the Town Hall (in the Community section on the home page) and introduce yourselves. Consider using the Pellegrino-approved template.

How did you find CUF?

What do you like about CUF?

What don't I like about CUF?

How did you choose your moniker?

What do you do (other than read CUF)?

How many States have you lived in?

What are your sports loyalties?

What's your standing in the church?

Do you pee in the sink?

When your kids get older, will you do drugs with them in order to teach them a responsible approach to drugs?

Are you looking forward to Wuap's welcome question and what do you think it will be?

Why are you so creepy? How long have you been lurking?

Comment

Ya'll need to buck up.

The Big 12 will expand or it will die. Period. Most likely in the next two years in preparation for its FSN contract talks due in 2012. Perhaps it won't expand until 2015, but it will at that point because then it will be negotiating its ABC/ESPN deal. It has to get back to at least 12 teams and a championship game because ABC is not gonna be left out of championship weekend and ain't gonna pay Big 10 style money w/out a championship game. Already, UT/OU are facing the reality of the Red River Rivalry being moved from the Texas State Fair to early December to give ABC what it wants w/ the 10 team format. That ain't sitting well down in the bowels of the al Rafsanjani el Hussein Martyrs Sports Complex in Austin and Bud Hall in Norman. The Big 12 will be back to 12 as soon as the we get done looting UNL/CU share of the current teevee contracts.

That being said, BYU is the most attractive college football franchise available to the Big 12. Who would you rather pursue:

1-Louisville Football at a MBB school w/ no tradition and a small fanbase on the eastern edge of your time zone in a city that has been losing population for 3 decades

2-BYU Football w/ a MNC, a Heisman winner and the last veritable coaching genius in Lavelle Edwards. Plus BYU has a national following similar (though smaller) to Notre Dame and dominates sports in a state that has grown by 1 million folks since the Big 12 was formed 15 years ago.

Obviously, the Robbie Boscoe is the big winner over Never Nervous Pervis.

Don't worry about ya'lls standards. The no-playing-on-Sundays thing will only be a problem in womyn's basketball and presents an easy work-around. The old Big 8 schools will respect ya'lls standards as will the Texans if the money is right.

That gives us two questions that must be answered: (1)who is coming w/ ya'll and (2) do ya'll want to ride w/ the beast that is the UofTeja$ and be associated w/ the filthy Slavers of Missoura? I'm hoping its CSU just to screw the Buffs, and I'm guessing ya'll are up for the challenge of playing w/ the Tejan$ and kicking the Slavers

'Kansas farmers should raise less corn and more hell.'-Mary Lease, 19th century Kansas Populist

Comment

The Big 12 will expand or it will die. Period. Most likely in the next two years in preparation for its FSN contract talks due in 2012. Perhaps it won't expand until 2015, but it will at that point because then it will be negotiating its ABC/ESPN deal. It has to get back to at least 12 teams and a championship game because ABC is not gonna be left out of championship weekend and ain't gonna pay Big 10 style money w/out a championship game. Already, UT/OU are facing the reality of the Red River Rivalry being moved from the Texas State Fair to early December to give ABC what it wants w/ the 10 team format. That ain't sitting well down in the bowels of the al Rafsanjani el Hussein Martyrs Sports Complex in Austin and Bud Hall in Norman. The Big 12 will be back to 12 as soon as the we get done looting UNL/CU share of the current teevee contracts.

That being said, BYU is the most attractive college football franchise available to the Big 12. Who would you rather pursue:

1-Louisville Football at a MBB school w/ no tradition and a small fanbase on the eastern edge of your time zone in a city that has been losing population for 3 decades

2-BYU Football w/ a MNC, a Heisman winner and the last veritable coaching genius in Lavelle Edwards. Plus BYU has a national following similar (though smaller) to Notre Dame and dominates sports in a state that has grown by 1 million folks since the Big 12 was formed 15 years ago.

Obviously, the Robbie Boscoe is the big winner over Never Nervous Pervis.

Don't worry about ya'lls standards. The no-playing-on-Sundays thing will only be a problem in womyn's basketball and presents an easy work-around. The old Big 8 schools will respect ya'lls standards as will the Texans if the money is right.

That gives us two questions that must be answered: (1)who is coming w/ ya'll and (2) do ya'll want to ride w/ the beast that is the UofTeja$ and be associated w/ the filthy Slavers of Missoura? I'm hoping its CSU just to screw the Buffs, and I'm guessing ya'll are up for the challenge of playing w/ the Tejan$ and kicking the Slavers

'Kansas farmers should raise less corn and more hell.'-Mary Lease, 19th century Kansas Populist

I don't know if I like the idea of moving the red river game to early December. It is fun to go to the state fair, sample the latest fried foods, and watch a great game. This is a great tradition for a lot of folks. In addition, the OU/Texas game is under contract to stay at the cotton bowl on the fair grounds until 2015. I am not convinced the other alternatives (UT vs. Tech, OU vs. OSU, Kansas vs. Mizzou) would get the eyeballs that ABC wants. Therefore, the Big 12-2 may need to expand back to 12 sooner rather than later. Another question is if there is enough money in Bevo's hind tits to attract the teams.

As for the other team besides BYU it would be nice if Arkansas came back to the fold. Jerry would be very happy and TAMU/Arkansas wouldn't have to use an OOC game for the SouthWest Classic. There is most likely not enough money to get the hogs to come back, however.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      It's nice when a thread produces a twofer; glad to have both Red Legger and PolyCoug aboard. I'm unclear whether PolyCoug is a descendant of Hagoth, or simply an aficionado of synthetic fabric...
                      Ha, yeah man... Straight up Tongan here(well... my Mom would make sure I point out I'm half Swedish)

I like how the numbers work and the logic everybody brings to the argument when it comes to BYU joining the Big XII-2, I just quit believing quite as much after Beebee came out and said it for the umpteenth time, when he last met with the AD's... but I'd love to see it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by PolyCougar View Post
                        Ha, yeah man... Straight up Tongan here(well... my Mom would make sure I point out I'm half Swedish)

I like how the numbers work and the logic everybody brings to the argument when it comes to BYU joining the Big XII-2, I just quit believing quite as much after Beebee came out and said it for the umpteenth time, when he last met with the AD's... but I'd love to see it happen.
                        Also, if y'all want to be taken seriously, you've GOT ditch the roman numerals. Can you imagine if Utah had petitioned to get into the pac ex conference?

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          Also, if y'all want to be taken seriously, you've GOT ditch the roman numerals. Can you imagine if Utah had petitioned to get into the pac ex conference?
                          Good to see that you're still alive. Others won't say it, but we were worried about you.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

Comment

Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                            Good to see that you're still alive. Others won't say it, but we were worried about you.
                            And well you should be! THEY'RE TURNING ME INTO A LONGHORN.

Imagine if one day you woke up half a mile from Rice-Eccles and wearing crimson. Seriously, I think it'd be less disconcerting to wake up in a bathtub with one of those "seek medical attention immediately" signs.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
                              And well you should be! THEY'RE TURNING ME INTO A LONGHORN.

Imagine if one day you woke up half a mile from Rice-Eccles and wearing crimson. Seriously, I think it'd be less disconcerting to wake up in a bathtub with one of those "seek medical attention immediately" signs.
                              If I woke up one day a half mile from Rice-Eccles and wearing crimson, it would be a good thing.
                              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill

"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

Comment

Working...
                              X