You say you'll change the Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You say you'll change the Constitution

Living in the UC these last few weeks for the first time in my life, I've noticed some things I've never come across before. One is the near worship by a lot of people of the Constitution. From the bumper sticker on my SIL's car (The Constitution: Confounding Liberals since 1789), to Mike Lee campaigning as a "Constitutional Expert," to a number of Constitutional themed floats in the Provo parade today.

I believe the Constitution was written with the help of some divine intervention, but was far from a perfect document then, as now, with some good and bad changes over the years. I get the impression that some feel the original with the Bill of Rights was enough and subsequent amendments have ruined an originally perfect document. Is this a popular sentiment others have come across? Or is it limited to a few on the fringe? I don't know what is more frightening, that these people don't realize the original Constitution allowed for slavery and counted blacks as 3/5 a person, or that they do realize it.
    "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
    "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
    "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
    ...the original Constitution allowed for slavery and counted blacks as 3/5 a person...
    You do realize that the two examples you give are conflicting, right? The 3/5ths compromise is not a sign of overt racism. It was intended to WEAKEN slavery, and did a good job of doing so...

Comment

Living in the UC
      Don't call it that.
      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Don't call it that.
        What is UC???

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
          What is UC???
          Utah County. That's where DU Ute, mpfunk, Jay Santos and Jeff Lebowski live so you can imagine how horrible a place it is.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            Utah County. That's where DU Ute, mpfunk, Jay Santos and Jeff Lebowski live so you can imagine how horrible a place it is.
            You're forgetting someone.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              You're forgetting someone.
              I didn't mention cougjunkie on purpose. He is an example of someone who transcends the UCO mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                What is UC???
                The first thing I thought was that UC = Univ. of California. But then I kept reading and realized it wasn't.
                I intend to live forever.
                So far, so good.
                --Steven Wright

Comment

Living in the UC these last few weeks for the first time in my life, I've noticed some things I've never come across before. One is the near worship by a lot of people of the Constitution. From the bumper sticker on my SIL's car (The Constitution: Confounding Liberals since 1789), to Mike Lee campaigning as a "Constitutional Expert," to a number of Constitutional themed floats in the Provo parade today.

I believe the Constitution was written with the help of some divine intervention, but was far from a perfect document then, as now, with some good and bad changes over the years. I get the impression that some feel the original with the Bill of Rights was enough and subsequent amendments have ruined an originally perfect document. Is this a popular sentiment others have come across? Or is it limited to a few on the fringe? I don't know what is more frightening, that these people don't realize the original Constitution allowed for slavery and counted blacks as 3/5 a person, or that they do realize it.
                  I still can't believe we gave women the right to vote and IMO that amendment directly led to them wearing suit pants.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I have been out of Utah for over 10 years now. I have forgotten all the lingo..

Brian: That is what came to my mind as well..

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                      Don't call it that.
                      I was hoping for this and was not disappointed.

Comment

No one seriously thinks that all the amendments are bad, do they?

Some have already been brought up (i.e. women's right to vote) How about no term limits for the president? What about the runner up becoming Vice President? What about the state legislators picking Senators instead of popularly electing them? They don't think people from the DC should have a vote for who is president?

I live in the UC as well.

Comment

With the church teaching that the Constitution is a divinely inspired document as it does, I'm surprised there isn't more of this than there is. There are well reasoned arguments for and against many of the amendments to and interpretations of the Constitution that are now the law, but in my experience most of these types are not acquainted with them. Its more of a generalized anti-federal government sentiment that has nothing to do with the constitution but the constitution gives them a hook to hang those feelings on. They view the constitution as pure at inception but now in apostasy.

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                            You do realize that the two examples you give are conflicting, right? The 3/5ths compromise is not a sign of overt racism. It was intended to WEAKEN slavery, and did a good job of doing so...
                            I don't believe they're conflicting. I recognize the 3/5 compromise was an important step forward, but it's still an example of the original Constitution being far from perfect.
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              I should go on record that I think it's a great place, it's just been a little different. I've never lived somewhere that's. More than 50% LDS or somewhere quite so über-conservative.

Comment

Working...
                              X