Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuelson and mixed motives

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=5659580

I don't know if I believe this straight up, especially about BYU to Big 12. I do believe the aspect of it that it's possible Samuelson lets his love for and ties to the U get in the way of what's best for BYU. Samuelson's a moron if he believed Utah ever was serious about only skipping the MWC with BYU. And he's a bigger moron if he didn't pursue a conference move independent of Utah.

Not buying it for a second.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Not buying it for a second.
      Buying what?
      Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Buying what?
        Well maybe "buying it" is the wrong expression. Stuff like that is so notoriously unreliable that it doesn't really merit discussion.
        Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-01-2010, 02:25 PM.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I couldn't tell if you were talking about vedderhall or Santos.

Comment

I am not sure if I would believe anything that comes from Veddarhall. He doesn't seem like he as a good record on his claims:

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/m...tml?id=3140889

Mark my words, we will not play another season under the mtn, and will not be in the MWC next year.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Was that a personal opinion or claimed to be based on inside info?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                I couldn't tell if you were talking about vedderhall or Santos.
                I didn't really state anything.

In that post, I'm mostly posing opinions based on hypothetical.

I do state I think it's possible Samuelson lets his Utah past influence the actions he takes related to BYU athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                  I didn't really state anything.

In that post, I'm mostly posing opinions based on hypothetical.

I do state I think it's possible Samuelson lets his Utah past influence the actions he takes related to BYU athletics.
                  The plan is coming together nicely...
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                    The plan is coming together nicely...
                    I would really like to know if Samuelson was pissed the Utes left the conference and whether he thought there was an actual commitment the two schools had to stick together and only leave as a package deal.

If true, then it's the biggest blunder ever committed by a BYU official relating to BYU athletics. Also if true, his past life as a Ute absolutely played into it.

FTR, I don't care if there was a deal or promise or understanding between BYU and Utah to be a package deal. It's stupid to believe it had any teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                      I would really like to know if Samuelson was pissed the Utes left the conference and whether he thought there was an actual commitment the two schools had to stick together and only leave as a package deal.

If true, then it's the biggest blunder ever committed by a BYU official relating to BYU athletics. Also if true, his past life as a Ute absolutely played into it.

FTR, I don't care if there was a deal or promise or understanding between BYU and Utah to be a package deal. It's stupid to believe it had any teeth.
                      How can it be the biggest blunder ever committed by a BYU official relating to BYU athletics if it had no effect on BYU athletics? Did we turn down a chance to get into a BCS conference by waiting for Utah? What did we lose in "reliance" on this "deal"?
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        How can it be the biggest blunder ever committed by a BYU official relating to BYU athletics if it had no effect on BYU athletics? Did we turn down a chance to get into a BCS conference by waiting for Utah? What did we lose in "reliance" on this "deal"?
                        We lost five years or however long it was of time selling ourselves to the Big 12 or Pac 10 on our own merits not as a package deal.

Comment

Jay, I am surprised that you put so much stock in this "package deal" theory. I guess I just haven't seen evidence that it was ever anything more than what K-Dog has described (a commitment to ensure that we can continue to schedule games).

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Jay, I am surprised that you put so much stock in this "package deal" theory. I guess I just haven't seen evidence that it was ever anything more than what K-Dog has described (a commitment to ensure that we can continue to schedule games).
                            1. I've heard rumblings of it several times through the years. I'm pretty sure Holmoe addressed it a few years back but I don't know how direct he was about it. It might have been something softer like "BYU and Utah's fortunes are tied together and we work together to look at how to strengthen the MWC or attaining a BCS conference invite".

2. Most people seem to have interpreted Holmoe's newspaper comments last week to be a slur against Utah for not keeping allegiances.

3. There has been a number of "inside" reports about Samuelson and/or Holmoe being royally pissed at the Utes for breaking their word with BYU by accepting a Pac invite.

I'm not saying it's true. I think it's possible it's true. My opinions of the involved figures here Holmoe (idiotic and weak in general) /Samuelson (biased) are completely contingent on all this being true.

Comment

College football, is above all, a business. No school is going to pass up a great business deal because one of their rivals may not like it. I'm pretty sure BYU has known for ages that the PAC-10 was not interested in them and never would be, so I don't buy the idea that BYU and Utah had a "package deal" arrangement. Also, from all accounts, Cecil is pretty dyed in the wool blue these days and retains no loyalty to Utah. I imprint absolutely no mixed motive to him. Again, from all accounts, he is working hard to get BYU in the best position possible. I shudder to think what would be happening if Bateman were still the Pres.
                              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                              Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X