Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I missing it, or is there an outdoor forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing it, or is there an outdoor forum?

On the assumption that it does not exist, per my own limited and half-assed examination of the site, I come here to announce that I am going to return to the mothership for a week.

The good news is that I'm not coming to talk sense into pregnant sisters or bitch-slap my sister in law this time. Even better, I'm not going to hang around Salt Lake and let all my nasty relatives find me. Instead, I'm going here with my brothers and/or their WAGs:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...7,9.887695&z=7

I haven't been in a couple years, but the plan this year is probably about 40 miles round trip hiking, four days, and some awesome gear. I have upgraded from a POS Jansport internal lead frame pack to the Gregory Whitney 95. I am also going to get a Jetboil instead of that clunky scout stove I usually take. Same water filter as last time, but a new tent (Clip Flashlight 2).

May can't get here fast enough.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

I didn't like my Jet Boil, so I gave it to my brother and bought a MSR pocket rocket. Also, the Whitney is a great backpack. I was all lined up to purchase one a couple years ago, and then I stumbled upon a Lassen on ebay for $120.00, which I couldn't pass up. It doesn't have the 4th access to the main area that the Whitney has, but for the price difference, I can live with that.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      I didn't like my Jet Boil, so I gave it to my brother and bought a MSR pocket rocket. Also, the Whitney is a great backpack. I was all lined up to purchase one a couple years ago, and then I stumbled upon a Lassen on ebay for $120.00, which I couldn't pass up. It doesn't have the 4th access to the main area that the Whitney has, but for the price difference, I can live with that.
      What was the deal with the Jetboil - I know the self-lighter is sometimes suspect, but otherwise it gets really good reviews.

Comment

I actually never had any problems with the self ignite on mine, but it was just so heavy and bulky compared to the pocket rocket. IIRC, the jetboil weighs about a pound, whereas the pocket rocket and an ultra-light titanium kettle that I use only weigh a combined 7 ounces.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I actually never had any problems with the self ignite on mine, but it was just so heavy and bulky compared to the pocket rocket. IIRC, the jetboil weighs about a pound, whereas the pocket rocket and an ultra-light titanium kettle that I use only weigh a combined 7 ounces.
          You are talking to a guy who is currently using something that weighs close to five pounds. Not including cookware.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            You are talking to a guy who is currently using something that weighs close to five pounds. Not including cookware.

You're really going to miss the versatility.

Comment

You're really going to miss the versatility.
              Lol - take the fuel tank from that and then add a big-ass burner, and you have my current less-than-lightweight setup.

Comment

Working...
              X