Utah's and BYU's National Presence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah's and BYU's National Presence

Here is an interesting article on crowd draw for BYU and Utah football...

Also, in direct comparisons with Utah since 2005, BYU has come out on top. In 2006, Utah traveled to UCLA and drew 59,709 to the Rose Bowl. One year later, BYU came to Westwood and attendance was listed at 72,986, more than 13,000 more.

In state, BYU at Utah State has had consistently larger crowds than Utah at Utah State. For example, in 2008 BYU at Utah State drew 23,101; Utah at Utah State maxed out at 19,061.
    I was at the 2005 BYU at ND, 2007 BYU at Tulsa, 2009 BYU vs. OU at Jerry's World, and 2009 BYU at Tulane games mentioned. I have given up on going to that hell hole called Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, however.

Edit: I have to add watching BYU playing at ND was truly a religious experience for me.
    Last edited by Uncle Ted; 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
    Edit: I have to add watching BYU playing at ND was truly a religious experience for me.
    Even though we lost, that was one of the best college football experiences of my life. It was absolutely fantastic.
    Not that, sickos.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint258 View Post
      Even though we lost, that was one of the best college football experiences of my life. It was absolutely fantastic.
      Absolutely. I didn't even care (too much) that we lost.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

BYU at TCU, 2008: 36,180
        Utah at TCU, 2009: 50,307

So what?
        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Darnell Dickson = Dick Harmon lite. Take with a HUUUUUUGE grain of salt.
          "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
            BYU at TCU, 2008: 36,180
            Utah at TCU, 2009: 50,307

So what?
            Tough to compare those two years because TCU was a BCS candidate in 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Tough to compare those two years because TCU was a BCS candidate in 2009.
              UCLA was unranked and playing a Utah team that finished 7-5 the previous season in 2006, but were ranked 14th and playing a BYU team that finished 11-2 the previous season in 2007.
              "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
              "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Darnell Dickson's conclusion is BYU has a national presence for football and it might even be better than Utah's. He tries to make a head-to-head comparison but it is hard to do that unless BYU and Utah played the same teams in the same year. Therefore, most likely the really only valid data point may be Utah State if comparing BYU and Utah but we already knew that BYU has a greater Utah draw simply by comparing average home attendance.
                Last edited by Uncle Ted; 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Attendance = national presence? Am I missing something?
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                    Attendance = national presence? Am I missing something?
                    Yes, you and the rest of us are missing better data.

It would be nice if we had something like Nielsen Ratings data for viewers in various top markets for BYU and Utah nationally televised games. Can someone buy this data and share?
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, you and the rest of us are missing better data.

It would be nice if we had something like Nielsen Ratings data for viewers in various top markets for BYU and Utah nationally televised games. Can someone buy this data and share?
                      I will concede that BYU (because of its Church ownership) does a great job at filling stadium seats. The data from bowl game TV viewership shows that BYU doesn't draw very many eyeballs to TV sets, however. (And neither does Utah. They're about the same.)
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Here is an interesting article on crowd draw for BYU and Utah football...

I was at the 2005 BYU at ND, 2007 BYU at Tulsa, 2009 BYU vs. OU at Jerry's World, and 2009 BYU at Tulane games mentioned. I have given up on going to that hell hole called Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, however.

I was at the BYU vs ND game as well. I came away a HUGE fan of the fans there. They were the best fans I had ever experienced. Cordial and nice and never did they even taunt us..

It was also cool that I was sitting in Frank Leahy's son's seats.. His was my brother's boss and he gave my brother his tickets for the game.. 50 yard line just about 10 seats up right smack dab in the middle of the ND Alumni section.. When they asked how we got the seats and my brother told the guys next to us. There was a moment of silence in respect.. Or they were more stunned that the Coaches son would even allow the enemy to have his seats. Either way it was a sweet experience...

Comment

I will concede that BYU (because of its Church ownership) does a great job at filling stadium seats. The data from bowl game TV viewership shows that BYU doesn't draw very many eyeballs to TV sets, however. (And neither does Utah. They're about the same.)
                          Except for the huge boost in TV numbers for the Utes that happens every four years for some reason.
                          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

You mean the data that you make up in your imagination?

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                              Except for the huge boost in TV numbers for the Utes that happens every four years for some reason.
                              You mean 2 of the 3 lowest BCS bowl TV ratings in history?
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X