Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could 2011 be the first year with no Rivalry Game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could 2011 be the first year with no Rivalry Game?

On a radio interview that I heard today, Dr. Chris Hill extraordinaire, stated that it was his intent for the Utah/BYU Rivalry to continue on an annual basis. He further mentioned that it may be tricky to schedule the game in the first 2 years upon entering the PAC-12 due to existing schedule contracts, but that it was his full intent to make the rivalry game an annual fixture even if there are only 3 non-conference games to schedule.

Personally, I think that if there were no rivalry game played 2011 or 2012, then 2013 would be pretty intense. There's nothing like abstaining from food to whet the appetite.

Who knows, by then it could have an added intensity if it is a PAC-12/Big-12 showdown.

So you are saying Utah is afraid to schedule up, so it will refuse to schedule BYU until it can get some really bad team s on the schedule? Pansies?

There will not be too many scheduling conflicts. If Utah doesn't schedule BYU, it will be because they are afraid to play us because we are too good. There's no other way to spin it. The game can be scheduled. USC plays OSU and ND every year even though they have had 9 conference games.

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post
      On a radio interview that I heard today, Dr. Chris Hill extraordinaire, stated that it was his intent for the Utah/BYU Rivalry to continue on an annual basis. He further mentioned that it may be tricky to schedule the game in the first 2 years upon entering the PAC-12 due to existing schedule contracts, but that it was his full intent to make the rivalry game an annual fixture even if there are only 3 non-conference games to schedule.

Personally, I think that if there were no rivalry game played 2011 or 2012, then 2013 would be pretty intense. There's nothing like abstaining from food to whet the appetite.

Who knows, by then it could have an added intensity if it is a PAC-12/Big-12 showdown.
      I don't think the rivalry game will be played in 2011 and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't played in 2012 either.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I was just thinking about this. It seems to me that the rivalry game is going to be really watered down in the coming years. If it isn't played for a few years I think it could be even less important once it happens.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by wally View Post

Tony Dow was a youth track coach for the Valley Raiders Track Club when I was a proud member the Simi Valley Vikings Track Club. It was one of the first times in my life I wondered about the cost of fame. It had to get old having 10-14 year old punk kids saying "weren't you a little hard on the Beaver" all day long when he was only wanting to spend tome time with his kids and help some other kids improve in various track events.
          Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
          -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
          -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            So you are saying Utah is afraid to schedule up, so it will refuse to schedule BYU until it can get some really bad team s on the schedule? Pansies?

There will not be too many scheduling conflicts. If Utah doesn't schedule BYU, it will be because they are afraid to play us because we are too good. There's no other way to spin it. The game can be scheduled. USC plays OSU and ND every year even though they have had 9 conference games.
            I'm just reporting what I heard on the radio. AD Dr. Hill wants the rivalry game to continue on an annual baisis. There was additional talk of expensive buyout from some of the existing nonconference games scheduled below:

9-1 Iowa State
            9-17 Oregon
            10-1 at Boise State
            10-15 at Pittsburgh

8-30 Washington State
            9-8 at Utah State
            9-22 at Colorado
            9-29 Boise State

8-29 Utah State
            9-14 at Washington State
            9-21 Colorado
            9-28 at Boise State

There is a PAC team scheduled for each year, which would become a conference game but the other 3 non-conference games would fill up Utahs PAC-12 nonconference schedule.

I don't know what BYU's future non-conference schedule looks like.

Comment

I think Utah drops or at least delays Boise St.
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                Tony Dow was a youth track coach for the Valley Raiders Track Club when I was a proud member the Simi Valley Vikings Track Club. It was one of the first times in my life I wondered about the cost of fame. It had to get old having 10-14 year old punk kids saying "weren't you a little hard on the Beaver" all day long when he was only wanting to spend tome time with his kids and help some other kids improve in various track events.
                I only chose the image because Creekster kept making fun of me with Beaver references. My nickname was wally at one time.

If you were close to Mr. Dow, I will respectfully change the image.

Comment

Let it never be played again.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                    C'mon man, we complete you, and you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      That may to soon for my liking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post

Something's gotta change in 2011. BYU's not coming to SLC two years in a row, and Utah is not going to play three non-conference games on the road, leaving it with only five home games for the entire year. If USC schedules similarly, your comparison might have merit.

If Utah doesn't schedule BYU in 2011, it's because Pittsburgh and Boise State refused to budge off our commitments to play at their stadiums that year. And we know how big BYU is on honoring commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          Dropping BSU is unlikely. Not since they've made one trip to SLC already, and now that Utah is a Pac-10 school.

If we buy out Pittsburgh or BSU, it should quash forever any talk from Provo about Utah's commitment to keeping alive the rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                            I wonder if Boise's move to the MWC creates any similar scheduling problems that makes the 2011 game mutually beneficial for both teams to drop?
                            "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                            "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                            "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
                              Something's gotta change in 2011. BYU's not coming to SLC two years in a row, and Utah is not going to play three non-conference games on the road, leaving it with only five home games for the entire year. If USC schedules similarly, your comparison might have merit.

If Utah doesn't schedule BYU in 2011, it's because Pittsburgh and Boise State refused to budge off our commitments to play at their stadiums that year. And we know how big BYU is on honoring commitments.
                              I would say your superiority complex is new and unwelcome.

But this has been your MO for a long time.

I find it funny that you are still 365 days from being actually in the 12PAC, yet your shit already doesn't stink.

Awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X