Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get a little clarification here? Why is the MWC autobid dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get a little clarification here? Why is the MWC autobid dead?

I keep hearing that with the loss of Utah the MWC Automatic Qualifier is likely dead. I will admit that I don't really understand this notion. With the addition of BSU we get to count their past wins. How does this not leave us exactly where we were at the end of last season?

Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I keep hearing that with the loss of Utah the MWC Automatic Qualifier is likely dead. I will admit that I don't really understand this notion. With the addition of BSU we get to count their past wins. How does this not leave us exactly where we were at the end of last season?
    Apparently we would have needed Utah's record as well.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      I think they were short with Utah's added in as well. The bottom is pulling the conference down. They met 2 of the 3 criteria. The last one was the average rank of all of the teams in conferenc.e
      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
        But I don't recall any talk of adding Boise last year and yet the MWC was considered a strong possibility for an AQ spot. I still don't see what's changed. Yeah, with Utah AND Boise the case would have been a lot stronger but prior to all this expansion talk we were considered to be right on the cusp and moving on up.

Comment

As far as BYU's concerned, the MWC AQ status is a moot point.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

The MWC automatic qualifying is still up in the air but it was probably a done deal if we had all 4 of the teams in, although it is likely that the BCS would find a way to pull the rug. Now we can expect that they will try even harder to pull the rug.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?page=roadtobcs/0910"]Road To The BCS: The Mountain West's AQ quest - ESPN[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              As far as BYU's concerned, the MWC AQ status is a moot point.
              Please explain. (Not being snarky)
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                Please explain. (Not being snarky)
                Be snarky. Indy responds better to snarky.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                  I think they were short with Utah's added in as well. The bottom is pulling the conference down. They met 2 of the 3 criteria. The last one was the average rank of all of the teams in conferenc.e
                  That's why I was saying the MWC should expand to 12 by inviting schools with decent programs. There aren't any real great non-BCS schools out there not in the MWC, but there are some decent programs on par with say an Air Force that would pull the average ranking up.
                  "Remember to double tap"

Comment

You don't need an autobid. If Boise wins at Virginia Tech watch it play in the NC game. (Not being snarky.) Honestly I never have cared about that.
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

This is why I think you'll see BSU, TCU, and BYU in BCS conferences in the next few years. The best way for them to preserve the status quo is to invite the "overachieving mid-majors" to the club.
                      "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

It isn't.

Had Utah stayed we still would have fallen short in the top to bottom rankings and needed an exemption.

With Utah gone and BSU in, the numbers are pretty much what they had been and that was going to be most likely close enough that we WILL get the exemption.

Should BSU make a run at yet another unbeaten season and end up in the NCG or a BCS bowl that makes the case that much stronger. Ditto for another MWC team that isn't Utah making a BCS bowl.

The AQ status deal is far from over and IMO we're in really good shape.

Comment

Even with Utah and Boise St., I didn't think the MWC would get AQ status. They need to trim some fat and change it with the likes of Fresno St. and Nevada if they want to. I know, I know, every conference has fat but when 60% of the conference is "the fat" they won't meet the requirements. The bottom of the conference kills them.
                          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                            Even with Utah and Boise St., I didn't think the MWC would get AQ status. They need to trim some fat and change it with the likes of Fresno St. and Nevada if they want to. I know, I know, every conference has fat but when 60% of the conference is "the fat" they won't meet the requirements. The bottom of the conference kills them.
                            Ugh... Fresno St & Nevada? Then we can have road trips to dumpy stadiums in Fresno, Reno, Cheyenne AND Albuquerque.
                            This space is available.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Incredible View Post
                              Ugh... Fresno St & Nevada? Then we can have road trips to dumpy stadiums in Fresno, Reno, Cheyenne AND Albuquerque.
                              I am saying replace these dumpy locations that actually have a decent football program with a couple of the dumpy locations that have crappy football programs. It is trading dump locations for another dumpy location that has a better football team. In the end it is dump for dump though.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X