Any Truth to the BYU/Big-12 Rumors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Truth to the BYU/Big-12 Rumors?

I keep hearing cryptic things from those who would know something about BYU's conference affiliation. I don't know what they mean but the conversations go something like this:

KillerDog: I'm pissed that the U is going to make more money than us, have a better stadium than us and play in a better conference than us. We're going to be BYU-Hawaii in 5 years.

Unnamed but well placed BYU source: It won't matter. By the time the Utes leave, BYU will be just as well placed.

They will never explain their cryptic remarks. I don't know if they are really, really confident about MWC plans or have something else up their white shirt sleeves but they all have a very knowing look and lack the wild-eyed staring of the common fan.

I think we'd be hearing some rumors from the media if this were true. A wise man once told me this type of thing is preceded by leaks to the media.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I think we'd be hearing some rumors from the media if this were true. A wise man once told me this type of thing is preceded by leaks to the media.
      Does BYU often leak things to the media, especially when negotiations are ongoing? Remember, Mormon culture places a high value on secrecy.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        Does BYU often leak things to the media, especially when negotiations are ongoing? Remember, Mormon culture places a high value on secrecy.
        That is right.

Comment

My completely unsubstantiated specualtion is that there might have been some truth to them but that Nebraska leaving for the Big 10+1 +1 screwed it all up. Now it really depends oin whether or not Texas can play the NCAA like it played the Pac-10 and get a chapm-een game with just 10 members in its little conference.

I have no source. I have no clue. I have no money to bet.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I have no inside info but I believe that the Big 12-2 will get back to 12 teams sooner rather than later and BYU is in a good position to be seriously considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Colly Wolly View Post
              That is right.
              Oh no he dident!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                My completely unsubstantiated specualtion is that there might have been some truth to them but that Nebraska leaving for the Big 10+1 +1 screwed it all up. Now it really depends oin whether or not Texas can play the NCAA like it played the Pac-10 and get a chapm-een game with just 10 members in its little conference.

I have no source. I have no clue. I have no money to bet.
                I agree. The Big 12 now has a problem finding two teams. BYU is an obvious choice for one slot, but I just don't know how they add another team. Short of Arkansas bolting the SEC and hoping it can better recruit out of Texas with an association with the Big 12, I just don't see where that 12th team is coming from.
                Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                  Only when the parties involved are less than honorable. Hence, nothing from BYU until the ink is dry.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                    Royal Blue unis for the Utah and Bowl games are exhibits 1 and 2. I don't remember hearing any hint at all that this was happening.
                    "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
                      Royal Blue unis for the Utah and Bowl games are exhibits 1 and 2. I don't remember hearing any hint at all that this was happening.
                      I knew about them a total of 30 minutes in advance, but only because I had sources on the team at the time. Said sources are now gone, btw. The point is that BYU really sucks at leaking information.
                      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        I agree. The Big 12 now has a problem finding two teams. BYU is an obvious choice for one slot, but I just don't know how they add another team. Short of Arkansas bolting the SEC and hoping it can better recruit out of Texas with an association with the Big 12, I just don't see where that 12th team is coming from.
                        Why would the Big 12 take BYU and whomever over some of the Texas schools. I can see TCU, Houston, SMU or even UTEP invited in first. The Big 12 may look a lot like the old Southwest Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                          Why would the Big 12 take BYU and whomever over some of the Texas schools. I can see TCU, Houston, SMU or even UTEP invited in first. The Big 12 may look a lot like the old Southwest Conference.
                          None of those schools add new tvs to the pot. Besides if you believe Beebe's recent quote when the Big 12 expands they'll look outside of the current footprint.

Commissioner Dan Beebe said the Big 12 currently has no interest in expansion. "And certainly we wouldn't look to expand with any institutions that are in our geographic five-state area now," he said. "We're very comfortable with where we are.

Comment

I don't see any way the Big 12 -2 gets a championship game with just 10 members.

There is no way that the Big 10+2 or PAC 12, who just expanded to 12 to get a championship game will agree to it.

I think that bodes well for BYU to the Big 10-2 in the next couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                              I don't see any way the Big 12 -2 gets a championship game with just 10 members.

There is no way that the Big 10+2 or PAC 12, who just expanded to 12 to get a championship game will agree to it.

I think that bodes well for BYU to the Big 10-2 in the next couple of years.
                              Have not learned anything from this week's events? What Texas wants, Texas gets.
                              Last edited by USUC; 06-16-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X