I'm all for a break in 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm all for a break in 2011

BYU isn't coming to SLC in back-to-back years, and we're not playing three road non-conference games (Pittsburgh, Boise State, BYU). The first two teams are owed a return visit from Utah. They could be pushed back, I imagine, but I doubt Utah is dealing from a position of strength, since we owe teh visits.

The current schedule would dictate five home games and seven road games -- something no BCS-conference team ever agrees to.

We'll come back in 2012. If we can put USU on the back burner for two years, we can put BYU on it (and vice-versa) for one.

If we play in Provo in 2011, that should put an end in the near-term about whether or not the rivalry will continue in its current state.

Originally posted by Top Ute View Post
    BYU isn't coming to SLC in back-to-back years, and we're not playing three road non-conference games (Pittsburgh, Boise State, BYU). The first two teams are owed a return visit from Utah. They could be pushed back, I imagine, but I doubt Utah is dealing from a position of strength, since we owe teh visits.

The current schedule would dictate five home games and seven road games -- something no BCS-conference team ever agrees to.

We'll come back in 2012. If we can put USU on the back burner for two years, we can put BYU on it (and vice-versa) for one.

If we play in Provo in 2011, that should put an end in the near-term about whether or not the rivalry will continue in its current state.
    It is pretty easy for Utah to buy out an of those non-conference games especially with the millions they will be getting.
    *Banned*

Comment

and so it begins:

What will happen after BYU kicks your ass in 2011 is we will hear all about how Utah needs a few years to establish themselves in the Pac-10.

Comment

Why would the mighty Utes of the PAC 10 lower themselves to a road game to Provo. I mean the stadium is bigger, would generate more revenue than a home game, but shouldn't you guys already be demanding 2 for 1 contracts?

Comment

I think we should play the game for the simple reason that the game will be officiated by PAC-12 officials.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

This is a simple fix... Move the Boise st series to start in 2013.
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Good grief I love how every post by SoCal is in the 1st person as if he has any say in anything that happens at the U.
              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                This is a simple fix... Move the Boise st series to start in 2013.
                Utah is not exactly dealing from a position of strength here, seeing it just left BSU high and dry at the AQ altar. I don't expect any favors from any of the remaining MWC schools toward Utah, and I could definitely see BYU insisting on keeping the rivalry alive as well.

(Happy Blueintheface?)

Comment

Utah is not exactly dealing from a position of strength here, seeing it just left BSU high and dry at the AQ altar. I don't expect any favors from any of the remaining MWC schools toward Utah, and I could definitely see BYU insisting on keeping the rivalry alive as well.

(Happy Blueintheface?)
                  Please...BSU was added because Utah was leaving. It is an even trade. They have as many wins in BBall as Utah the last few years.

And their wear blue.

And they have just as many BCS wins.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    Please...BSU was added because Utah was leaving. It is an even trade. They have as many wins in BBall as Utah the last few years.

And their wear blue.

They will also start this season in the top 5 and have a legit shot to play in the national title game. They have a better football program than Utah right now (most wins in the country over the last 10 years), their basketball program is on par with the runnin utes as well.
                    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

And their wear blue.

Utah is contractually obligated to play at BSU in 2011, and non-BCS teams don't jump through the roof to give up or push back home dates against regional teams from BCS conferences. That said, Washington State was nice enough to push Utah's series back a couple of years when Utah was able to get Michigan in 2008, but that was the first game of a series, not in the middle of a series like BSU is.

I would be more disappointed in a complete buy-out from our end than I would be pushing the series back.

Comment

Utah is contractually obligated to play at BSU in 2011, and non-BCS teams don't jump through the roof to give up or push back home dates against regional teams from BCS conferences. That said, Washington State was nice enough to push Utah's series back a couple of years when Utah was able to get Michigan in 2008, but that was the first game of a series, not in the middle of a series like BSU is.

I would be more disappointed in a complete buy-out from our end than I would be pushing the series back.
                        I wonder how much Utah will pay lowly BYU to come up to RES two years in a row. How much did Northern Iowa get a few years ago to come to LES? I am sure BYU will just be happy to be there, and take their payout and lay down for the might utes!
                        *Banned*

Comment

Looking at the schedules moving the boise st game to 2013 is the best answer for the rivalry to continue. It works well with Utah schedule and Byu's as they will have a road opening in 2012 (boise st goes to a conference game).
                          "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                            It is pretty easy for Utah to buy out an of those non-conference games especially with the millions they will be getting.
                            I think it will be renegotiated in some fashion. Both are schools from lesser conferences and I think if you say to either of them "let us out in 2011 and we will agree to additional games, including games at your place, in future years" they will both happily agree.

I don't know how big a draw Utah will be at Heinz field and it will probably depend on how good we are that year, but Utah is certainly a sell out in Boise. They will find away around this without cancelling a rivalry game.

Comment

Working...
                            X