Here are my thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are my thoughts...

BYU and Utah have always been in the same trench together. We shoot bullets at each other, but when we realize there is a foe in a bunker farther away we take pause and fight the good fight together.

Now here is what I see...

Utah all of the sudden is going to find themselves with an invite into the PAC ?, and they look at us in the bunker and say "Ha...we are better than you." So they run to the other bunker and start lobbing bullets our way.

This is how it is for me.

Utah was run of the mill until the late 90's/early 2000. Since then they have played out of their minds and had a phenominal run. Good for them and what they have been able to accomplish.

BYU has been good for 25 years, with a few great years and a few not so great years. (Which is why I used the descriptor "good".)

Utah has been able to motivate their players to the "killer instinct" when they had to to win big games. BYU just can't do that. Religion makes us soft.

I firmly believe that the reason Utah is going to PAC and BYU isn't or wasn't considered is because of the LDS Church. To me, Utah is BYU sans the Honor Code.

Am I jealous? Probably. But I would feel exactly the same way if we were going somewhere and Utah was staying. I wouldn't like it.

Now...I don't expect Utah to turn it down because of what it will do to BYU. That would be stupid. But I am like a lover scorned...as an insititution I am not going to go out of my way to help Utah. But...religion makes us soft and we will fold.

I will tell you this...if BYU were to drop athletics altogether...I would quit going to church. Dead serious. It would shake my faith greater than if I found out a member of the Q12 was having an affair.

I just want folks to be level headed. No one is better than someone else because of the conference that they are in. If you tell me Wazzu is better than BYU or Utah because they are in the PAC? you are crazy.

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
    BYU and Utah have always been in the same trench together. We shoot bullets at each other, but when we realize there is a foe in a bunker farther away we take pause and fight the good fight together.
    Now here is what I see...

Utah all of the sudden is going to find themselves with an invite into the PAC ?, and they look at us in the bunker and say "Ha...we are better than you." So they run to the other bunker and start lobbing bullets our way.

This is how it is for me.

Utah was run of the mill until the late 90's/early 2000. Since then they have played out of their minds and had a phenominal run. Good for them and what they have been able to accomplish.

BYU has been good for 25 years, with a few great years and a few not so great years. (Which is why I used the descriptor "good".)

Utah has been able to motivate their players to the "killer instinct" when they had to to win big games. BYU just can't do that. Religion makes us soft.

I firmly believe that the reason Utah is going to PAC and BYU isn't or wasn't considered is because of the LDS Church. To me, Utah is BYU sans the Honor Code.

Am I jealous? Probably. But I would feel exactly the same way if we were going somewhere and Utah was staying. I wouldn't like it.

Now...I don't expect Utah to turn it down because of what it will do to BYU. That would be stupid. But I am like a lover scorned...as an insititution I am not going to go out of my way to help Utah. But...religion makes us soft and we will fold.

I will tell you this...if BYU were to drop athletics altogether...I would quit going to church. Dead serious. It would shake my faith greater than if I found out a member of the Q12 was having an affair.

I just want folks to be level headed. No one is better than someone else because of the conference that they are in. If you tell me Wazzu is better than BYU or Utah because they are in the PAC? you are crazy.
    I would shoot a Ute in the back. No problem.

Dude, it's just sports.

Utah and BYU would say that. But plenty would say otherwise. There are lots of crazies.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Dead serious man.

BYU sports are emotional for me, and I am attached to them as such.

I don't get emotional or feel that attachment at church. Never have.

Comment

Maybe you should just leave church now and watch more football on sunday.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dead serious man.

BYU sports are emotional for me, and I am attached to them as such.

I don't get emotional or feel that attachment at church. Never have.
          Step back from the ledge bro.

I get very emotional over sports too. Trust me. I made Gidget cry once when I screamed at the TV during a Lakers game because it scared her and she said she has never seen that side of me (she could see an even darker side tonight). When the Raiders got jobbed in the AFC title game I went bonkers. When they got smeared in the Super Bowl the following year I offended just about everyone at my own Super Bowl party. In fact, two girls there didn't talk to me for 6 months. I feel the same way about BYU sports. I swear I lost at least 3 years of my life during the 1st round tournament game against Syracuse. Same thing when Payne shanked the game winning FG at BSU. And the beatdown in Hawaii. So trust me I get passionate. If anything if BYU dropped its athletics I'd have a better shot at making it to the Celestial Kingdom than following them.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            I made Gidget cry once when I screamed at the TV during a Lakers game because it scared her and she said she has never seen that side of me (she could see an even darker side tonight).
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              Asshole!
              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

I just want folks to be level headed.

Despite my nervous breakdown yesterday, BYU could disappear today and I would still sit down every saturday in the fall and watch CFB from dawn to dusk. I

am not sure why this should shake your faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  Step back from the ledge bro.

I get very emotional over sports too. Trust me. I made Gidget cry once when I screamed at the TV during a Lakers game because it scared her and she said she has never seen that side of me (she could see an even darker side tonight). When the Raiders got jobbed in the AFC title game I went bonkers. When they got smeared in the Super Bowl the following year I offended just about everyone at my own Super Bowl party. In fact, two girls there didn't talk to me for 6 months. I feel the same way about BYU sports. I swear I lost at least 3 years of my life during the 1st round tournament game against Syracuse. Same thing when Payne shanked the game winning FG at BSU. And the beatdown in Hawaii. So trust me I get passionate. If anything if BYU dropped its athletics I'd have a better shot at making it to the Celestial Kingdom than following them.
                  This could be a bad week for you. I'm staying out of your neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    I may cry. No lie. I cried when the Lakers lost to the Spurs in '03 I think it was. I was doing an internship in DC that summer and watched the game in my hotel room. I was so pissed I burned half a tank of gas driving around DC and crying.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                      This could be a bad week for you. I'm staying out of your neighborhood.
                      You might hear me. Better give the little ones some earmuffs tonight.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        Asshole!
                        No, please don't misunderstand the laughing. I just thought it was a funny comment, because Mrs SMR just might see a dark side of me she's never seen before as well.

I didn't think it could get any worse than Kobe winning championships (I've stopped watching NBA playoff basketball because of it), but this utes to the PAC thing just might be worse.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

This isn't going to impact me that much. Hopes that have been tempered over the last several years that BYU was ever going to make a splash in the big time. If it happens, great fun, if it doesn't no big let down.

I will still be a fan, like I was the season BYU's BB team went 1-22 or something like that. I watched every game I could on TV.

Last year I missed three games at LES, I can't remeber missing a game there since 1976. Two of them I even taped and watched later. As I have said before, I sold my season tickets to my nephew and none of my boys are bugged I did. We aren't traveling to an away game, first time we haven't done that in I don't know how long and the boys aren't bugged about that.

I think for a lot of fans, the climb to national recognition was fun. The fall should it come will surprise a lot of people.

Whether it is a problem or not, BYU football is not a priority for anyone with any clout, including the coach.

Comment

I wouldn't say I am on a ledge. I have an attachment to BYU athletics that I don't with Church. I spend a grip of money to travel to watch them play. I don't like driving 6 miles to church.

I am extremely passionate about BYU athletics. There is a member of my ward that isn't allowed in my home anymore because of how he acted against BYU at a party I threw.

Livecoug and a certain YM in my ward were told they had to be nice to each other or leave. Shortly afterwards LC moved to Utah. I wield great power.

It is part of my identity. I would still watch college football, don't get me wrong, but I could never "follow" another team.

Just like if I ever quit going to church, I am not going to go to a different church...I will just quit going. (Unless there was a Church founded around Golf and Fly Fishing. Then I would attend.)

Comment

I'm will still see all the BYU games I can... Hell, I have a feeling I won't be able to afford Texas tickets in the future.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X