Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the LDS Church's Prop 8 involvement affected PAC10 invite chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think the LDS Church's Prop 8 involvement affected PAC10 invite chances?

I voted c. I think the Mormon church thing would have prevented a PAC10 invite anyway, but Prop 8 was probably the final nail in the coffin.
    a. Hurt BYU's chances a little
    11.11%
    b. Hurt BYU's chances a lot
    3.70%
    c. Somewhere between a. and b.
    33.33%
    d. No effect whatsoever
    51.85%

I think it had zero effect. For this to be a final nail in the proverbial coffin, there is an implied chance that BYU could have been admitted otherwise. BYU was never in consideration before Prop 8.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I think it had zero effect. For this to be a final nail in the proverbial coffin, there is an implied chance that BYU could have been admitted otherwise. BYU was never in consideration before Prop 8.
      Me too.

Comment

BYU was never in consideration before Prop 8.
        :bsflag:

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by scottie View Post
          :bsflag:

Just my opinion.
          You can believe this if you want. I used to. But the Pac-10 wants no part of the Mormon Church.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

I doubt BYU had much of a chance before Prop 8, but that probably was the nail in the coffin, so I voted slightly.

Comment

Absolutely no effect

Comment

You can believe this if you want. I used to. But the Pac-10 wants no part of the Mormon Church.
                I agree they want no part of the Mormon church, it's the "never in consideration" part that I'm not agreeing with. We know the reasons -- BYU's size, fan base, sports success, facilities, and location means they have to have been considered (we now have proof that the PAC has wanted to expand). If they ever look to go to 16 teams again, they'll be considered again, but invited? no.
                Last edited by scottie; 06-15-2010, 07:59 AM.

Comment

The chances were zero to begin with. Prop 8 couldn't make the probability go negative.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

I agree they want no part of the Mormon church, it's the "never in consideration" part that I'm not agreeing with. We know reasons -- BYU's size, fan base, sports success, facilities, and location means they have to have been considered (we now have proof that the PAC has wanted to expand). If they ever look to go to 16 teams again, they'll be considered again, but invited? no.
                    Now it's a matter of semantics. I'm sure they were put on a list for the consideration of the PAC 10 schools, but they were never seriously considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      The chances were zero to begin with. Prop 8 couldn't make the probability go negative.
                      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      Now it's a matter of semantics. I'm sure they were put on a list for the consideration of the PAC 10 schools, but they were never seriously considered.
                      Chances were zero? Never seriously considered? I just can't buy that. Agree to disagree.

Comment

Chances were zero? Never seriously considered? I just can't buy that. Agree to disagree.
                        OK, on what basis (and citation of references would be reaaaalllly helpful here) do you think that BYU was seriously considered and ever had a real chance of being invited to the PAC10?

Thanks in advance.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Cal and Stanford would have said no WAAAAAAAY before prop 8. Define considered?

Larry Scott: Okay, we have BYU out there and they have a pret
                          PAC 10 Teams: No! Next?
                          Larry Scott: Oh, well there is BSU and they........

If that is what you are defining as considered, I will say yeah, they were considered.

Comment

I think people generally are turned off by the BYU mantra. They like the individuals, LaVelle, Holmoe, President Monson and members of the church they meet. For the most part people have a good feeling about the parts.

However, the whole is another thing. I know plenty of good LDS people who have negative feelings toward BYU. They have kids that go there, they know people who work there, they have friends who have kids who go there and they like all of them. They still have negative feelings toward BYU.

I used to play poker with about 11 guys, I quit because I suck at it, 5 of the 11 are avid BYU fans. By avid I mean they go to away games and know recruits, etc. To a man, none of them have great feelings about BYU, except for the sports program. Sure you know what kind of people these people are, they play poker for heck sakes.

I will bet that if other schools ask how is it to be in a conference with BYU, the answer isn't good. It is probably, they aren't easy to get along with and don't think their shit stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              OK, on what basis (and citation of references would be reaaaalllly helpful here) do you think that BYU was seriously considered and ever had a real chance of being invited to the PAC10?

Thanks in advance.
                              This is a stupid argument. Once the PAC 10 decided that it was serious about expanding I think all possible candidates were considered. Was BYU seriously considered? I don't even know what that means.

Do I think that BYU was considered? Yes I do. This move was and is all about money and I think BYU was considered based on what money they could bring to the table. I think at that point, the level of $ was weighed against all the negatives and baggage that BYU also brings. I don't need a link for this because logic dictates and I assume that PAC 10 power brokers are relatively intelligent. Once all factors were considered BYU was not going to make it but that does not mean that they were not "seriously considered" whatever that actually means.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                              X