What if Boise goes undefeated..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Boise goes undefeated..

and gets to the BCS championship game? Remember, they're returning everyone. TCU has a chance to make some major noise as well. And both of these teams will likely be left in the MWC.

The new BCS deals that come out of this mess simply can't ignore BSU, with two consecutive undefeated seasons and a NC appearance, or they lose all legitimacy. They'll throw them a bone with an autobid. If you're BYU (or Utah), where would you want to end up? Suddenly the MWC with an autobid doesn't look so bad.
    Last edited by ERCougar; 06-12-2010, 07:49 AM.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    and gets to the BCS championship game? Remember, they're returning everyone. TCU has a chance to make some major noise as well. And both of these teams have a good chance of being left in the MWC.

The new BCS deals that come out of this mess simply can't ignore BSU, or they lose all legitimacy. They'll throw them a bone with an autobid. If you're BYU (or Utah), where would you want to be? I think I'd be torn.
    At the very least, the MWC could have 2 BCS bowl teams this year with TCU and Boyzee. That would be 2 years in a row with 2 BCS bowl teams and that counts towards the BCS qualifying requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      At the very least, the MWC could have 2 BCS bowl teams this year with TCU and Boyzee. That would be 2 years in a row with 2 BCS bowl teams and that counts towards the BCS qualifying requirements.
      I think one would argue that those qualifying requirements will be thrown out with the new megaconferences anyway, but they'll be an absolute joke (and regarded that way) if they ignore TCU and BSU, especially if one or both of them makes a serious run this year.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

ER, they're already tentatively projecting adding a seventh auto-bid for the 2012 season. They'll make the decision based on data from the 2008-11 seasons. Then after the 2013 season they'll re-evaluate all the conferences.

A conference will become the seventh automatic qualifier if it finishes among the top six conferences in both No. 1 and No. 2 and if its ranking in No. 3 is equal to or greater than 50 percent of the conference with the highest ranking in No. 3.

(1) Average Ranking of Highest-Ranked Team, the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS Standings each year (if a conference does not place a team in the final BCS Standings, then its highest-ranked team is determined by the conference member that has the highest average ranking in the computer rankings used in the BCS Standings),

(2) Average Conference Ranking, the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year, and

(3) Top 25 Performance Ranking, the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS Standings each year, with adjustments to account for differences in the number of members of each conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Babs View Post
          ER, they're already tentatively projecting adding a seventh auto-bid for the 2012 season. They'll make the decision based on data from the 2008-11 seasons. Then after the 2013 season they'll re-evaluate all the conferences.
          Yes, but with the possibility of these super conferences all bets are off in regards to what the BCS will do.

Comment

The problem is this isn't about BCS bids anymore. Now it's all about the benjamins. Don't get me wrong it was all about the money before, but college football is about to become so inequitable it's not funny. You're going to have a new Div. II tier and it will be full of MWC, WAC, Conference USA...
            "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
            —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
              The problem is this isn't about BCS bids anymore. Now it's all about the benjamins. Don't get me wrong it was all about the money before, but college football is about to become so inequitable it's not funny. You're going to have a new Div. II tier and it will be full of MWC, WAC, Conference USA...
              I agree that it's all about money, but part of the source of that money is still legitimacy (or at least some semblance thereof). Can you imagine what the press would say if BSU made the championship game, but the new BCS deals ignored the MWC? Yeah, they're east coast, they think there is no football in the west, etc, but they also like a good story, and that'd be a good one. It would be a PR nightmare for the BCS, one that would be easily solved by throwing the MWC an autobid.

If the MWC holds on to Utah, BYU, TCU, and BSU, they'll get a bid. Even if Utah goes, they'll get a bid.
              Last edited by ERCougar; 06-12-2010, 09:17 AM.
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                Even if there are 3 super conferences, each with 2 auto bids, the MWC getting one auto bid will still be a positive. But I don't see us getting one. Right now there are 8 spots in BCS games, 6 auto-bids and 2 at large. If the super conferences take up 6 bids, this only leaves 2 bids left which go to the Big East and the ACC. No more at large bids. At best they would add the Cotton Bowl as a bcs bowl game and continuing the at-large bids. Unless of course the raiding from the Big 10 and SEC destroys the BCS status of the ACC or Big East.

Comment

and gets to the BCS championship game? Remember, they're returning everyone. TCU has a chance to make some major noise as well. And both of these teams will likely be left in the MWC.

The new BCS deals that come out of this mess simply can't ignore BSU, with two consecutive undefeated seasons and a NC appearance, or they lose all legitimacy. They'll throw them a bone with an autobid. If you're BYU (or Utah), where would you want to end up? Suddenly the MWC with an autobid doesn't look so bad.
                  Looks pretty good to me. BYU/Utah/TCU/BSU in a MWC with autobid is preferable to me over BYU to the B12. I like the regional rivalries (even if they're lopsided) and the occasional roadie to Vegas or Laramie.
                  "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
                    Even if there are 3 super conferences, each with 2 auto bids, the MWC getting one auto bid will still be a positive. But I don't see us getting one. Right now there are 8 spots in BCS games, 6 auto-bids and 2 at large. If the super conferences take up 6 bids, this only leaves 2 bids left which go to the Big East and the ACC. No more at large bids. At best they would add the Cotton Bowl as a bcs bowl game and continuing the at-large bids. Unless of course the raiding from the Big 10 and SEC destroys the BCS status of the ACC or Big East.
                    Aren't there 10 BCS spots?

EDIT: Ok...I think I see what you're saying--there are 8 conference auto-bids, since the championship game is just #1 vs #2. But still--scarcity is the issue you're raising, and I don't see that as much of an issue. BCS spots would be #1 vs #2 (both of whom would likely come from the superconferences), plus two bids for each megaconference, one bone for the MWC, leaving one at-large, which would likely go to the other megaconference, leaving each of them with three teams. The scary thing would be the inevitable "squeezing out" of that pesky MWC 10 yrs down the road, but that depends on the stability of this whole mess and the MWC not fielding quality teams.
                    Last edited by ERCougar; 06-13-2010, 06:53 AM.
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I think one would argue that those qualifying requirements will be thrown out with the new megaconferences anyway, but they'll be an absolute joke (and regarded that way) if they ignore TCU and BSU, especially if one or both of them makes a serious run this year.
                      With 4 super conferences, do you really need the BCS?

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
                        Looks pretty good to me. BYU/Utah/TCU/BSU in a MWC with autobid is preferable to me over BYU to the B12. I like the regional rivalries (even if they're lopsided) and the occasional roadie to Vegas or Laramie.

I would prefer BYU in the B12 with a guaranteed payout every year equal to the occasional BCS bowl invite. Take the money!

Comment

I agree that it's all about money, but part of the source of that money is still legitimacy (or at least some semblance thereof). Can you imagine what the press would say if BSU made the championship game, but the new BCS deals ignored the MWC? Yeah, they're east coast, they think there is no football in the west, etc, but they also like a good story, and that'd be a good one. It would be a PR nightmare for the BCS, one that would be easily solved by throwing the MWC an autobid.

If the MWC holds on to Utah, BYU, TCU, and BSU, they'll get a bid. Even if Utah goes, they'll get a bid.
                          Do you think anyone in college football cares about legitimacy? The mafia doesn't like intruders into their business.

Comment

Working...
                          X