Pretty sure Utah is screwed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sure Utah is screwed.

Setting aside whether or not that's good or bad for BYU and if good primarily good for spiteful reasons or for more substantive reasons.....

Here's what seems to have to happen at this point for Utah to get into the PAC:

1. T A&M wld have to get an actual invite to the SEC
    2. They'd have to decide to navigate all kinds of political problems to leave their Texas brethren and take it
    3. If they did that then T A&M + Texas would have to fail in trying to persuade the PAC X that it should take Baylor as a replacement for T A&M
    4. Failing that then the same parties would have to fail to persuade the PAC X to take Kansas over Utah (I think the buck stops at this one - the PAC would LOVE to have Kansas's hoops prowess, it's better academically than Utah and it's been improving in football).

The only way this can all work out for Utah from here, in my view, is if A&M really does both get the SEC invite AND decides to break off from the rest of the Texas crew (unlikely), then the PAC X outright refuses to admit Baylor (not impossible), then the Kansas politicos refuse to let Kansas leave K State (highly unlikely in the context).
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Originally posted by oxcoug View Post
    Setting aside whether or not that's good or bad for BYU and if good primarily good for spiteful reasons or for more substantive reasons.....

2. They'd have to decide to navigate all kinds of political problems to leave their Texas brethren and take it
    3. If they did that then T A&M + Texas would have to fail in trying to persuade the PAC X that it should take Baylor as a replacement for T A&M
    4. Failing that then the same parties would have to fail to persuade the PAC X to take Kansas over Utah (I think the buck stops at this one - the PAC would LOVE to have Kansas's hoops prowess, it's better academically than Utah and it's been improving in football).

The only way this can all work out for Utah from here, in my view, is if A&M really does both get the SEC invite AND decides to break off from the rest of the Texas crew (unlikely), then the PAC X outright refuses to admit Baylor (not impossible), then the Kansas politicos refuse to let Kansas leave K State (highly unlikely in the context).
    Probably correct. If aTm rejects the offer (unlikely I think), then Kansas is sitting there. We're talking Kansas. Naismith, Allen, Sayers, Chamberlain, Ostertag, five NCs (spanning the ancient and modern eras), a BCS victory three years ago, AAU membership, and already a BCS conference member and 69-year history of playing Colorado. So much of the talk since it became apparent that the Big 12 was going away has been lamenting the tragedy of Kansas' situation.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Puh-lease. They're almost the same.

EDIT: Withdrawn. I just read the German Shepherd's warning.
      Last edited by ERCougar; 06-12-2010, 05:48 AM.
      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

OR if Dan Beebe somehow convinces the rest of the current members that the Big 12 can be saved, they collect $10M from CU and $10M from NU for leaving, and invite BYU and Utah to the Big 12 North to replace CU/NU. Of course, worse case for Utah would be they only invite BYU and some other team besides Utah.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
          OR if Dan Beebe somehow convinces the rest of the current members that the Big 12 can be saved, they collect $10M from CU and $10M from NU for leaving, and invite BYU and Utah to the Big 12 North to replace CU/NU. Of course, worse case for Utah would be they only invite BYU and some other team besides Utah.
          BYU would never leave it's rival behind. Never! Loyalty is important to CougarNation.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
            I almost added this to SU's unintentionally funny hierarchy of possibilities yesterday but decided against it. This isn't entirely inconceivable.
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I think if Texas wants Baylor in the PAC, they get Baylor in the PAC.

Do you know for certain Texas is serious about trying to "persuade" the PAC to allow Baylor to join them in the move? If so, how do you know this?
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the issue with Kansas is that by law they have to take KSU with them. That won't be happening. I do still think A&M has a more than 50% chance of going to the PAC though.

My best hope is they keep the Big 12 together. BYU goes to the BIG 12. Utah goes to the PAC 12.
                "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
                —Abraham Maslow

Comment

Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
                  I'm pretty sure that the issue with Kansas is that by law they have to take KSU with them.
                  Is this true or just some widely spread rumor (like the NCAA has banned colored fields but Boise's field is grandfathered in)?

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    Is this true or just some widely spread rumor (like the NCAA has banned colored fields but Boise's field is grandfathered in)?
                    Yeah, unless someone can clarify this, I doubt it exists. Sure, there are probably strong political interests wanting them to move together, but I'm sure one in the Pac-16/one in the MWC/CUSA/whatever minor conference is better than two in the MWC/CUSA/whatever minor conference. I'd hate to be a politician that kept Kansas out of the Pac-16.
                    Last edited by myboynoah; 06-12-2010, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      lol. I suspect his bark is considerably louder than his bite.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Puh-lease. They're almost the same.

I see the grumpy, sarcastic ERC is out today. You need more sleep Dr.
                        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Yes, this is all pretty self-evient if you employ common sense. No one should kid themselves that Utah would be more attractive to anyone than Kansas or Texas A&M. I'm the one here who first started saying "what about Kansas? Kansas is stellar." There was also ZERO possiblity that Kansas would ever condescend to the Mountain West.

However, common sense has not prevailed at all of late. If this Super West of the Mississippi conference does come down, what's to stop Utah from being in a 10 team Eastern Division? You are still making all kinds of assumptions (I'm thinking of your unintentionally funny and very very long Book of Mormon historicity essay). Utah has been totally irrelevent to the goings on the past week, whatever its fate. What makes you so sure it hasn't had its offer in hand all along?
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                            I see the grumpy, sarcastic ERC is out today. You need more sleep Dr.
                            He has been hunkering down, like many of them, sick at heart, making frequent trips to the bathroom, his fingers so palsied from fear he can't even type.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              Utah has been totally irrelevent to the goings on the past week, whatever its fate. What makes you so sure it hasn't had its offer in hand all along?
                              Because it would have been signed and faxed already? We would have heard reports all over the national media that they had an offer?

Comment

Working...
                              X