I found this disappointing: No memorial of D-Day from Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this disappointing: No memorial of D-Day from Obama

I find this sad considering what took place that day.. I wish he would've shown them the respect they deserve...

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/201...memorate-dday/
    Last edited by dabrockster; 06-07-2010, 01:25 PM.

Out of curiosity, how does that compare to how past US presidents have historically dealt with D-Day anniversaries?
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      I find this sad considering what took place that day.. I wish he would of shown them the respect they deserve...

http://www.whitehousedossier.com/201...memorate-dday/
      That seems a bit of a stretch. Why is the anniversary a better time to remember them than any other? Why does the president need to say anything?

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds jerky as it's not meant to be, but it's "would have" not "would of." "Would of" doesn't make any sense, and is a bastardization of the pronunciation of "would've". Just thought you'd be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        Out of curiosity, how does that compare to how past US presidents have historically dealt with D-Day anniversaries?
        Good question. I don't know the answer. However, "I Think" Obama has shown his support for the military by his non commitment to memorial related things.. Just to be clear, I would be equally disappointed by past Presidents on this as well.....

Originally posted by woot View Post
        That seems a bit of a stretch. Why is the anniversary a better time to remember them than any other? Why does the president need to say anything?

Also, and I'm sorry if this sounds jerky as it's not meant to be, but it's "would have" not "would of." "Would of" doesn't make any sense, and is a bastardization of the pronunciation of "would've". Just thought you'd be interested.

Because he is the President, and I would like for him to show support to our Veterans..

And it was not jerky. You are the professor.. I should know that simple pronounciation (corrected)..

Comment

However, "I Think" Obama has shown his support for the military by his non commitment to memorial related things..
          Again, any examples of this? I've heard other people say the same thing in recent weeks but I've not seen any legitimate examples.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
            Again, any examples of this? I've heard other people say the same thing in recent weeks but I've not seen any legitimate examples.
            That he elected not to go to Arlington National on Memorial Day and lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and accept the flag on behalf of the unknown next of kin as is tradition?

Of course, one might debate whether or not the above example is a 'legitimate' example...

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              That he elected not to go to Arlington National on Memorial Day and lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and accept the flag on behalf of the unknown next of kin as is tradition?

Of course, one might debate whether or not the above example is a 'legitimate' example...
              ....A tradition which has been honored on only about half of all Memorial Days over the past 30 years. As often as not, the President has delegated the responsibility over to either his VP, Deputy Defense Secretary or other military person.

And its not like he was taking the day off - he was presiding over services at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in IL.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                ....A tradition which has been honored on only about half of all Memorial Days over the past 30 years. As often as not, the President has delegated the responsibility over to either his VP, Deputy Defense Secretary or other military person.

And its not like he was taking the day off - he was presiding over services at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in IL.
                Of course he was in IL at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Since he went home to relax. Then he found out the outcry that was coming from his diss on the Arlington National Cememtery and the tomb of the unknown soldier. So he had to come up with a Plan B..

He has shown that the military is not a priority since he came into office. Over the fact he "mulled" over the decision to add new soldiers in Afghan (While our soldiers were fighting a war they did not think their POTUS supported), The reduction of their budget (One of the first things he did), to the blundering attempt to show support to the soldiers who lost their lives at Fort Bragg, to his diss of Arlington on memorial day..

Yes, Bush I had his VP do it and so did Reagan allow his Defense Secretary Thayer to do it in his place (Which I would be equally disappointed in as well). More than usual the POTUS attends and does this simple task. Obama, has gone out of his way to minimize the military and his support to them. Yes he gives great speeches but his actions are a far cry from "We support our soldiers"... imo..
                Last edited by dabrockster; 06-08-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Here's Media Matters' response:

http://mediamatters.org/research/201006070009
                  We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Of course he was in IL at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery. Since he went home to relax. Then he found out the outcry that was coming from his diss on the Arlington National Cememtery and the tomb of the unknown soldier. So he had to come up with a Plan B..

He has shown that the military is not a priority since he came into office. Over the fact he "mulled" over the decision to add new soldiers in Afghan (While our soldiers were fighting a war they did not think their POTUS supported), The reduction of their budget (One of the first things he did), to the blundering attempt to show support to the soldiers who lost their lives at Fort Bragg, to his diss of Arlington on memorial day..

Yes, Bush I had his VP do it and so did Reagan allow his Defense Secretary Thayer to do it in his place (Which I would be equally disappointed in as well). More than usual the POTUS attends and does this simple task. Obama, has gone out of his way to minimize the military and his support to them. Yes he gives great speeches but his actions are a far cry from "We support our soldiers"... imo..
                    You're getting off topic. We were talking about his disregard for "Memorial related things" and all you gave me is your speculation that his Memorial Day Speech at the Abraham Lincoln MEMORIAL Cemetery was a "plan B" based on public outcry.

So could you please show some evidence that he wasn't planning to do a Memorial Day ceremony in IL and also give some examples of how Obama has done any worse than any other standing POTUS in recent memory in supporting veterans and deceased military personnel.
                    Last edited by bluegoose; 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Brockster, where did you learn of this? Since it seems there isn't any actual controversy here, can we assume you just watch Fox News and believe what they say?

Comment

Brockster, where did you learn of this? Since it seems there isn't any actual controversy here, can we assume you just watch Fox News and believe what they say?
                        Listen, I have a sentimental feelings for Veterans. Specifically WWI and WWII Veterans. This is a simple tradition that is important to me. So, I was disappointed by this. Period.. I would of liked to see him be there. He had Joe Biden do it which is fine for some/most. For me, I would like the POTUS to do it..

Say whatever you wish. call me a Foxnews Zombie. I truly do not care....
                        Last edited by dabrockster; 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM.

Comment

When a republican is in office, the media reports every misstep, contrived or not. When a democrat is in office, the right wing underground sends out every misstep, contrived or not, in email chains.

BTW, did you know that the supreme court is going to hear the case against Barrack being a citizen? I have been told this once a month for two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                            When a republican is in office, the media reports every misstep, contrived or not. When a democrat is in office, the right wing underground sends out every misstep, contrived or not, in email chains.

BTW, did you know that the supreme court is going to hear the case against Barrack being a citizen? I have been told this once a month for two years.
                            This is certainly true. It just seems that since most of us are aware of this, we shouldn't embarrass ourselves by believing any of it unless it is corroborated by multiple sources and the available evidence. This story is clearly contrived. Some will find it sufficient to extrapolate about Obama's attitude toward the military in general, while others will recognize it for what it is.

It reminds me of the Clinton/Sestak controversy. I don't know if the accusations are true and haven't been keeping up on it at all, but even if they are, it wouldn't be any different from what lots of other presidents did, including His Holiness Reagan. It does seem shady to me, and I would support a thorough evaluation regarding the ethics of such tactics being employed so regularly. A lot of conservatives were pretending it was an impeachable offense and the height of corruption, however. I can't help but think it's because they simply believe whatever the right-wing media tells them.

Comment

Listen, I have a sentimental feelings for Veterans. Specifically WWI and WWII Veterans. This is a simple tradition that is important to me. So, I was disappointed by this. Period.. I would of liked to see him be there. He had Joe Biden do it which is fine for some/most. For me, I would like the POTUS to do it..

Say whatever you wish. call me a Foxnews Zombie. I truly do not care....
                              Was this tradition equally important to you when other Presidents were skipping it? Because it seems like a lot of people have suddenly "always cared about this" yet have no knowledge of all the previous Presidents that have skipped or delegated Memorial Day ceremonies.

Comment

Working...
                              X