Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most likely scenario and future BYU-Utah super conference

Sorry for starting a new thread.

I don't think there's anyway the Big 12 survives. Mizzou and Nebraska know everyone's courting Texas and as soon as they leave be it for the Pac 10 this year, the SEC the year after that, or whoever whenever in the future, they will be left in the cold. They're nuts not to take the Big 10 offer. The Pac 10 struck at the perfect time and has the best offer. The 8 team division keeps things athletically about the same as they were before for Texas, while upgrading the overall conference reputation.

Mizzou and Nebraska to Big 10.

Texas and 5 others from Big 12 go to Pac 10. The interesting thing will be if the last team in is Baylor or Colorado.

PK was talking about a two division super conference that goes nearly coast to coast, taking in the Big East leftovers (Cincy and Louisville?), the Big XII leftovers, and the best of the MWC.

Let me dream.

All these teams are folded into the Big X11, inheriting their TV and BCS contracts (which obviously would be reevaluated but it at least you don't have to create something new).

East division: Louisville, Cincy, Notre Dame (you talk them into by giving them their own revenue sharing plan and exclude them from a football TV deal--let them keep their deal), Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State

West division: BYU, Utah, Colorado, TCU, Boise State, UNLV

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

I don't think there's anyway the Big 12 survives. Mizzou and Nebraska know everyone's courting Texas and as soon as they leave be it for the Pac 10 this year, the SEC the year after that, or whoever whenever in the future, they will be left in the cold. They're nuts not to take the Big 10 offer. The Pac 10 struck at the perfect time and has the best offer. The 8 team division keeps things athletically about the same as they were before for Texas, while upgrading the overall conference reputation.

Texas and 5 others from Big 12 go to Pac 10. The interesting thing will be if the last team in is Baylor or Colorado.

PK was talking about a two division super conference that goes nearly coast to coast, taking in the Big East leftovers (Cincy and Louisville?), the Big XII leftovers, and the best of the MWC.

Let me dream.

All these teams are folded into the Big X11, inheriting their TV and BCS contracts (which obviously would be reevaluated but it at least you don't have to create something new).

East division: Louisville, Cincy, Notre Dame (you talk them into by giving them their own revenue sharing plan and exclude them from a football TV deal--let them keep their deal), Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State

I have actually come around to hoping for a sub-elite conference for BYU. I would hate to be WSU, Arizona, ASU, OSU, Stanford, Baylor or CU in that big time PAC10 conference. They will be doormats and afterthoughts. Sure they will get some big money and that is what the Presidents will want, but I think their fan base's will suffer.

I think especially BYU and for that matter probably the Utes would end up in doormat status in such a conference.

I can deal with playing teams that we are competitive with. I think Utah, TCU, BSU and AFA fit the bill. Give me 5 more teams in the conference that are in that category and I would be willing to play 3 non-competitive games each year.

Also, should the mega conference teams want a game with us, I would tell them to stick it. Gain nothing by playing their lousy teams and get beat by their elite teams.

Comment

People need to start including Wyoming on these lists of MWC super conference ideas. Damnit I want landpoke to stick around!
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post

Let me dream.

Texas is the ultimate trump card, but its demands for the other Big 12 schools for inclusion into any conference's expansion plans are more about leverage than anything else. Texas has stated first and foremost it wants the Big 12 around, and without Texas, the Big 12 isn't around.

The formation of the Big 12 is the primary reason why Texas is where it is today -- you won't find many Longhorn fans waxing poetically about the 1980s and early 1990s. The SWC was a major conference in name only, and playing Baylor, TCU, Tech, Rice, Houston, etc. was a far cry from what was going on in the SEC, Pac-10, etc.

So why mess with what's worked? All these dalliances from other conferences into Texas' availability are entertained by Texas, but as a smokescreen. It's to get the other Big 12 schools to get in line and quit squabbling.

If the Big 12 told Nebraska today, "We will always hold our 12th spot for Notre Dame until they join another conference," the entire Pac-16 talk and Texas' threats to leave would come to a screeching halt. Because Texas would have enough ducks lined up to make the Big 12 work.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          People need to start including Wyoming on these lists of MWC super conference ideas. Damnit I want landpoke to stick around!
          Thank you brother, but I'm already gone.
          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)

Tomorrow is Saturday
          And Sunday comes afterwards

Comment

I already hate montana and montanans. Idaho can suck it too.

The transition shouldn't be too hard.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

Oh cool, there are third rate Colorado and Utah schools to hate on too.

Yessir, this is gonna work out right nice.

Tomorrow is Saturday

Comment

Working...
              X