Te'o moving to lb'er?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Te'o moving to lb'er?

BYU’s Malosi Te'o is following in the steps of his cousin Manti Te'o.

The Deseret News is reporting that Malosi Te’o has moved from running back to linebacker. His cousin Manti Te’o is a starting linebacker at Notre Dame.

Malosi Te’o has never taken a snap for the Cougars. He signed with UNLV out of Kahuku High in Hawaii, but went on his mission before enrolling. After he returned, he decided to transfer to BYU and joined the team in the winter of 2009. He redshirted last year and was expected to be a part of the running back corps. However, with so many options at running back and so few at linebacker, the coaching staff decided to make the switch.

The move is a little odd considering the need for running backs after star Harvey Unga was not allowed to return to BYU. Te’o rushed for 1,209 yards as a senior but 1,007 of those yards came in his last five games, when Kahuku started the OIA playoffs. He also scored 11 of his 13 touchdowns in the playoffs.

But the running back position is one of the deepest for the Cougars and, although the team likely will use a committee approach, Te’o will have a better shot to get on the field with the defense than the offense.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/malosi-teo

Isn't he kind of tiny to play lb'er? Given his speed and size, wouldn't safety make more sense?
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

It's obvious BYU would like to gravitate back towards playing more of a 3-3-5.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

So his size is ok in a 3-3-5?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        It's obvious BYU would like to gravitate back towards playing more of a 3-3-5.
        Good luck with that. I hate that defense.
        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Well, if he has safety size....

James Allen was dynamite as a Katback in 2003 at 5'10" and 170

http://www.cougarstats.com/players/a.html#jamesallen

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
            Good luck with that. I hate that defense.
            Because?

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Because?
              Well the main reason which is probably a good reason for BYU it is a pain to prepare for as a player. You only see it once maybe twice a year and it is weird to block if it is ran correctly and aggressively. Not fun.

I also think that in a 3-3-5 that you need speed and great athletes to be successful because of the lack of size up front.
              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Maybe Q is just that badass so far that this is the logical decision? (Is that too optimistic?)
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Maybe Q is just that badass so far that this is the logical decision? (Is that too optimistic?)
                  Maybe JJ instead of Q.

Comment

Obviously a "go to" guy hasn't been established yet to replace Unga, but in terms of quantity, BYU is stacked at RB. It may be Q, it may be Phillips, it may be Kariya, it may be DiLuigi, etc, etc.
                    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

speaking of RB's, did we discuss how it is that Kariya crushed it against Oklahoma and then disappeared the rest of the season? That wrinkled my brain. Harvey was Harvey all season, but where was the game 1 Kariya??
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        Obviously a "go to" guy hasn't been established yet to replace Unga, but in terms of quantity, BYU is stacked at RB. It may be Q, it may be Phillips, it may be Kariya, it may be DiLuigi, etc, etc.
                        Phillips will redshirt. It will be Q, JJ and Kariya this year. If Q stays healthy I think he will start taking the lions share of the reps starting next year.

My honest opinion is that this is probably a reflection of Q positively and perhaps Malosi negatively. Don't forget that BYU has Adam Hines in the wings once Q becomes a junior.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

speaking of RB's, did we discuss how it is that Kariya crushed it against Oklahoma and then disappeared the rest of the season? That wrinkled my brain. Harvey was Harvey all season, but where was the game 1 Kariya??
                          No need to wrinkle, he's just not that good.

And didn't he get something like 2.5 ypc against Oklahoma?

Comment

I was lead to believe that Oklahoma was soft and played uninspired defense. Apparently they also forgot to put their Heisman Trophy winner on the flight to Texas.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

Crushed it? He averaged less than 3 yards per carry.

Comment

Working...
                              X