Clear All

• Oversigning.com

This website is rad. http://oversigning.com/

I can't stand Nick Saban.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

I enjoyed this

Since it appears that Alabama fans are slightly pissed at oversigning.com for documenting the March to 85, we thought we would ask the Alabama fan base to take on a homework assignment and put all the energy they spend sending us hate mail containing personal threats to good use.

Here's the assignment. It's actually quite simple. Find us another program from a BCS conference that currently, right at this moment, still has to shed more than 6 scholarships commitments in order to stay under the 85 limit this fall.

Alabama had 66 players returning on scholarship when they signed 29 new recruits. 11 of those 29 enrolled early, putting the roster at 77, and leaving 18 more still coming in the Fall. 4 from the roster of 66 have already left (this includes Star Jackson), so that puts the roster at 73. 73 + 18 = 91. 91 is 6 more than 85.

You find us that program and we will go at them like a pit bull and won't let go. But you have to bring us concrete numbers and bear in mind that Alabama has already shed 4 scholarship players with eligibility.

There it is, let's see what you are made are really made of. Let's see if you are willing to put the time and effort into truly investigating the numbers for other schools and let's see if you can find another school that needs to shed as many scholarships as you do between now and fall.

We'll save you a little bit of time and help you narrow down your search - you can go ahead and scratch the following programs off of your list. Vanderbilt and Georgia, as they refuse to oversign players. 3/4 of the ACC refuses to do it as well, so scratch them from the list. You might want to look at FSU and Miami though. Texas and USC - scratch them from the list. Tennessee, scratch them from the list. All of the Big 10 schools, you can scratch all of them from the list, ND and Texas too.

There, that should help narrow it down a little for you.

Best of luck!

Update 5/21/2010: A bunch of posts, but still not a single team found that has to shed more scholarship commitments in order to stay under the 85 limit.

Put up or shut up and Bama fans apparently need to shut up.
    Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

What are you supposed to do if you're Alabama? You have your pick of the elite talent every year, and you want to make sure the 85 you have in the fall is the best possible collection.

These kids should know the competition is brutal, and not everyone will be in Tuscaloosa for 4 or 5 years.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        What are you supposed to do if you're Alabama? You have your pick of the elite talent every year, and you want to make sure the 85 you have in the fall is the best possible collection.

These kids should know the competition is brutal, and not everyone will be in Tuscaloosa for 4 or 5 years.
        I'm disappointed BO.
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          I'm disappointed BO.
          I've consumed the Crimson Kool-aid, and it's made me less of a person. I recognize that.
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

I've consumed the Crimson Kool-aid, and it's made me less of a person. I recognize that.
            Your honesty is refreshing and disgusting all at once.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

People always accused Pete of being slimy at Southern Cal, Saban is a great coach and everything that is wrong with college sports IMO.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

So forgive my ignorance, but what do people have a problem with? Cutting upperclassman scholarships in favor of an incoming freshman? Doesn't every school do this (maybe not to the same extent)? Aren't we cutting Zylstra's scholarship this coming year? Sincere questions--I honestly don't know the nuances involved.

I can't stand Saban either, but you can't fault him if the NCAA lets him do it. Eventually, you'd think that he would lose recruits as they realize that they could be left out to dry if they don't cut it.

The main problem I see with this is if athletes are unable to transfer without losing a year when their scholarship gets cut.
                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  I can't stand Saban either, but you can't fault him if the NCAA lets him do it. Eventually, you'd think that he would lose recruits as they realize that they could be left out to dry if they don't cut it.

The main problem I see with this is if athletes are unable to transfer without losing a year when their scholarship gets cut.
                  Saban wouldn't be the "face" of this issue if recruiting elite talent was troublesome.

Also, the scholarship is never explicitly cut; you "come to a mutual agreement" and transfer. Most of the players that have left the Alabama program chose to transfer to FCS/Division II schools, so they don't lose a year anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    So forgive my ignorance, but what do people have a problem with? Cutting upperclassman scholarships in favor of an incoming freshman? Doesn't every school do this (maybe not to the same extent)? Aren't we cutting Zylstra's scholarship this coming year? Sincere questions--I honestly don't know the nuances involved.

No. Every school doesn't do it.

My biggest problem is that I feel the scholarship should be for 4 years unless there are other issues besides his play on the field. The coaches are the ones recruiting. They're the ones on the field developing and teaching players. So I think they should be stuck with the kid who may not be as good as that top 10 RB they're currently recruiting. This isn't professional sports. This isn't the same as cutting your 33 year old RB for the kid you just drafted in the first round. But Saban has effectively made it the same. Calipari did the same thing at Kentucky when he came in with his fab freshmen in hand and Gillespie's guys were asked to leave.

IIRC, Zylstra received a scholarship by default because there was one available and knew that it most likely was just for the one year. So this isn't even the same comparison. Someone can correct me on this one though if I am wrong, but that was my understanding.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Saban wouldn't be the "face" of this issue if recruiting elite talent was troublesome.

Also, the scholarship is never explicitly cut; you "come to a mutual agreement" and transfer. Most of the players that have left the Alabama program chose to transfer to FCS/Division II schools, so they don't lose a year anyway.
                      Wow you did drink the kool-aid.
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        Wow you did drink the kool-aid.
                        I put "come to a mutual agreement" in quotations for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          People always accused Pete of being slimy at Southern Cal, Saban is a great coach and everything that is wrong with college sports IMO.
                          College Football is becoming the NFL-Lite with each passing year. It generates way too much revenue to ever go back to the "good old days". Talented kids want to play for draft factories and fans want to watch the most talented teams.

Comment

I would like to see the NCAA rule follow the Big Ten conference and other schools that don't allow you to go over. I'm fine with coaches pulling scholarships for those that aren't producing. I don't think it is right for a kid to be given a free pass for 4 years. But, I feel bad for these kids who are cut right before the fall semester and have to figure things out because not enough other kids left voluntarily.

BYU's (and most other schools) approach is best. Offer preferred walk-on status and get them a scholarship when/if one becomes available. Honor all scholarships of students who have adequate grades and work hard on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                              I would like to see the NCAA rule follow the Big Ten conference and other schools that don't allow you to go over. I'm fine with coaches pulling scholarships for those that aren't producing. I don't think it is right for a kid to be given a free pass for 4 years. But, I feel bad for these kids who are cut right before the fall semester and have to figure things out because not enough other kids left voluntarily.

BYU's (and most other schools) approach is best. Offer preferred walk-on status and get them a scholarship when/if one becomes available. Honor all scholarships of students who have adequate grades and work hard on the field.
                              I completely disagree with this. Whose fault is it that these kids don't produce? The coaches recruited them. They're the ones that are coaching them. Why does the kid get bounced? If the kid has any off-field, academic struggles, or even graduates early I am fine with pulling the scholarship. But because the kid only scored X number of touchdowns when you thought he should have scored Y is pretty slimy.

Also, there is so much turnover in college coaching now, how can you place blame on the kid for not producing? And how do you define production? Sorry kid, we appreciate everything you did for us but this high school kid that hasn't played a down of college football projects to be more productive than you have been so we're pulling your scholarship. That's a bullshit move. This amateur collegiate sports. Not the NFL, though it's turning into that.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X