BYU 2011 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU 2011 Recruits

I know it's really early, but it appears that none of our top recruits are even considering BYU, with the exception of Langi. We have some solid recruits - don't get me wrong - but are we going to attract any top-tier talent this year?

Originally posted by jessedwilliams View Post
    I know it's really early, but it appears that none of our top recruits are even considering BYU, with the exception of Langi. We have some solid recruits - don't get me wrong - but are we going to attract any top-tier talent this year?
    I don't know anything about this class, but it does seem that byu may lose the battle for in state recruits, to the U, for the first time in awhile. Travis Still is headed to the U, and isn't Ryker Matthews leaning that way? Troy Hinds at Davis will be one to watch.

Comment

In-state

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
      I don't know anything about this class, but it does seem that byu may lose the battle for in state recruits, to the U, for the first time in awhile. Travis Still is headed to the U, and isn't Ryker Matthews leaning that way? Troy Hinds at Davis will be one to watch.
      I think BYU has the edge still. They have been loading up with talent from Bingam. This has to be the best class that has ever come out of that school. Troy Hinds will definitely be a great get, and I bet he comes to BYU.

I'm more concerned about our ability to attract out-of-state recruits this year. We're going after some serious D-line talent, and it doesn't look like any of them are going to stick. Once again - I realize it's early - but it's not too good when you're not even on the list of potential schools, lol. Brennan Scarlett, Faigame Lopa, Jenkins, Jesse Williams, and Kasen Williams represent 5 of our top 8 recruits listed on Scout, and none of them are showing much (if any) love to BYU.

I hope things really pick up.

Comment

Originally posted by jessedwilliams View Post
        I think BYU has the edge still. They have been loading up with talent from Bingam. This has to be the best class that has ever come out of that school. Troy Hinds will definitely be a great get, and I bet he comes to BYU.

I'm more concerned about our ability to attract out-of-state recruits this year. We're going after some serious D-line talent, and it doesn't look like any of them are going to stick. Once again - I realize it's early - but it's not too good when you're not even on the list of potential schools, lol. Brennan Scarlett, Faigame Lopa, Jenkins, Jesse Williams, and Kasen Williams represent 5 of our top 8 recruits listed on Scout, and none of them are showing much (if any) love to BYU.

I hope things really pick up.
        I think byu never had a shot at Kasen Williams, so we shouldn't judge the class by the inability to land him

Comment

I'm not sure where you get that they aren't even considering BYU. BYU is listed as medium interest of all the top 4 rated recruits and none of them have a high interest school.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=4&yr=2011

P.S. I believe Langi is the only LDS player of the top 4.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

This does seem like it will be a down year for recruiting.
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
              This does seem like it will be a down year for recruiting.
              Down compared to what? 2010? 2010 was an all-time high year. Compared to 2005-2009? Probably will be slightly better.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                Down compared to what? 2010? 2010 was an all-time high year. Compared to 2005-2009? Probably will be slightly better.
                of course it's ridiculous to compare this class to 2010; however, I would be unhappy to see this class come out worse than years leading up to 2010. My hope and feeling is that the BYU program is on an upswing right now, and to lose the wind in our sails that we gained last year would be disappointing.

This may not be the case at all - just a concern of mine.

Comment

I'm not sure where you get that they aren't even considering BYU. BYU is listed as medium interest of all the top 4 rated recruits and none of them have a high interest school.

Jenkins has mentioned his top10, I believe and BYU wasn't on it. I've heard many reports that Kasen Williams isn't considering us (never thought he was anyway), and Faigame Lopa and Brennan Scarlett have both been quoted expressing love for the Pac10.

Comment

Jenkins list of 8: http://byu.scout.com/2/969454.html

Lopa - http://byu.scout.com/2/969760.html

Scarlett - http://notredame.scout.com/2/897764.html - I missed this article and was unaware that Scarlett's dad played at BYU - interesting...Hopes are officially high again for this kid.

Jesse Williams has more than 20 offers, including some very good programs. I will shave my head if we get this kid.

Comment

I guess I don't see how this year is any different than most with regard to non-member national prospects. When have non-member kids like Kasen Williams and Sefarian-Jenkins who have dozens of offers from the nation's top programs ever picked BYU? Last year's class was the best class in terms of non-member prospects I can remember, and those kids had nowhere near the choices the group of Jenkins, Kasen and Jesse Williams, Scarlett, and Lopa have. The 2011 class doesn't have nearly as much LDS talent as last year, and that is the main reason next year's class won't measure up.

Keoshian may turn into a player at BYU, but nobody else offered him a scholarship. Drew Phillips had a couple offers like SMU, Central Michigan, and WYO, but nothing on par with BYU. Blair Tushaus had mostly MWC offers with a late offer from ASU thrown in right before he committed. Tayo Fabuluje was a kid with several good offers but lived with Ross Apo. Josh Quezada was basically the kid who broke the mold with regard to what typically happens when a non-member kid with no apparent BYU ties has several good BCS offers. I was very surprised he picked us. Realize he is the exception rather than the rule though.

Comment

good points

Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                        I guess I don't see how this year is any different than most with regard to non-member national prospects. When have non-member kids like Kasen Williams and Sefarian-Jenkins who have dozens of offers from the nation's top programs ever picked BYU? Last year's class was the best class in terms of non-member prospects I can remember, and those kids had nowhere near the choices the group of Jenkins, Kasen and Jesse Williams, Scarlett, and Lopa have. The 2011 class doesn't have nearly as much LDS talent as last year, and that is the main reason next year's class won't measure up.

Keoshian may turn into a player at BYU, but nobody else offered him a scholarship. Drew Phillips had a couple offers like SMU, Central Michigan, and WYO, but nothing on par with BYU. Blair Tushaus had mostly MWC offers with a late offer from ASU thrown in right before he committed. Tayo Fabuluje was a kid with several good offers but lived with Ross Apo. Josh Quezada was basically the kid who broke the mold with regard to what typically happens when a non-member kid with no apparent BYU ties has several good BCS offers. I was very surprised he picked us. Realize he is the exception rather than the rule though.

Comment

I was looking at the list of prospects at tbs. This is not a bumper year. Last year was an outlier in terms of quality lds guys.
                          But I have 2 questions. How big a loss is losing Travis Still to Utah?
                          And how good is this Bryson Mckenzie back out ot Timpview?

Comment

Working...
                          X