PDA

View Full Version : We are back!!

Jeff Lebowski
05-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Phew. That was scary for a minute.

Database got corrupted somehow. Contacted the webhosting service and they were able to repair it. They said we shouldn't have lost anything.

Sorry for the delay. I am on the road on business and have been out all afternoon/evening.

UtahDan
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM

Database got corrupted somehow. Contacted the webhosting service and they were able to repair it. They said we shouldn't have lost anything.

Sorry for the delay. I am on the road on business and have been out all afternoon/evening.

You didn't miss anything Jeff. It has been quiet here.

DU Ute
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM

You should probably check to be sure you didn't leave the back door to the SE open.

BoylenOver
05-17-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it was my fault. I was reading a thread, and when I went to click the 2nd page I got an error message.

Jeff Lebowski
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM

Yeah, super busy day for me. Did I miss anything?

Solon
05-17-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure it was my fault. I was reading a thread, and when I went to click the 2nd page I got an error message.

For a minute there, I thought the board really did melt down. Thanks for getting it up again, JL

(That's what she said.)

byu71
05-17-2010, 07:14 PM

No need to apologize. Great job monitoring this for us and still fulfilling your bigger responsibilities of earning a living. Thanks for what you do.

Indy Coug
05-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, super busy day for me. Did I miss anything?

Nah. Mostly reruns.

Uncle Ted
05-17-2010, 08:39 PM

mysqldump is our friend. BTW, it might be good idea to ship some of that db dumpage off site.

BoylenOver
05-17-2010, 08:39 PM

I can't decide what makes this funnier: the SE blowing up over a nomination earlier today, or that the error actually caused a period of silence.

Either way, bravo.

Jeff Lebowski
05-17-2010, 08:48 PM
mysqldump is our friend. BTW, it might be good idea to ship some of that db dumpage off site.

:confused:

Habla Englais, por favor.

Slim
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
You should probably check to be sure you didn't leave the back door to the SE open.

I'll admit, I get a little jealous whenever you guys talk about your secret club.

Uncle Ted
05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
:confused:

Habla Englais, por favor.

Babel Fish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) translation:

An automated backup of the CUF database could be made using the mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html) program and a little Space Ghost perl code. That backup could then be copied periodically to an off-site server in case the CUF server and/or host provider goes on permanent vacation. In a worst case scenario, the dead CUF could be raised like Lazarus (minus a miracle) by installing the forum software on a new server and restoring database dump.

Jeff Lebowski
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Babel Fish (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/) translation:

An automated backup of the CUF database could be made using the mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html) program and a little Space Ghost perl code. That backup could then be copied periodically to an off-site server in case the CUF server and/or host provider goes on permanent vacation. In a worst case scenario, the dead CUF could be raised like Lazarus (minus a miracle) by installing the forum software on a new server and restoring database dump.

Oh, I backup the database periodically. There is a slick little utility in the hostgator admincp that dumps the whole thing to a tar file in about ten minutes. I copy to my local drive occasionally, but probably not as often as I should.

That being said, I think the whole process could be improved and automated. A daily backup via script copied to something off-site would be ideal. I got a little nervous tonight.

Jeff Lebowski
05-17-2010, 10:21 PM
I will also say this: I am impressed with the hostgator customer service. This appeared to be a vbulletin error of some sort (i.e. not their fault) but they answered my call in seconds and cheerfully waded in to fix the problem.

Rosebud
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I can't decide what makes this funnier: the SE blowing up over a nomination earlier today, or that the error actually caused a period of silence.

Either way, bravo.

Sigh... really? You guys are too funny. I don't know why I'm surprised, but news of nomination blowups still catches me off guard.

Warning to all newbies: this means that one of you is causing a ruckus behind the scenes. You don't know who you are, but there is a big fight going on about YOU. Isn't that fun? Be careful what you say right now. It could work either for or against you.

So Lebowski... when is that post explaining all of this going up? I saw that PU asked you about the matriculation (lol) process on your profile page. Is he in yet? I probably would have been able to type up a SE explanation on my own about four months ago when we discussed this, but I'm not sure I can remember all the details now. I'd be happy to give it a try unless you want to do the honors. I know you're busy and all ;).

tooblue
05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Sigh... really? You guys are too funny. I don't know why I'm surprised, but news of nomination blowups still catches me off guard.

Warning to all newbies: this means that one of you is causing a ruckus behind the scenes. You don't know who you are, but there is a big fight going on about YOU. Isn't that fun? Be careful what you say right now. It could work either for or against you.

So Lebowski... when is that post explaining all of this going up? I saw that PU asked you about the matriculation (lol) process on your profile page. Is he in yet? I probably would have been able to type up a SE explanation on my own about four months ago when we discussed this, but I'm not sure I can remember all the details now. I'd be happy to give it a try unless you want to do the honors. I know you're busy and all ;).

If there's a blowup it can only mean either you or maybe Robin has been nominated for entrance into the speakeasy. Regardless, why even bother worrying or warning newbies about it? Let it be -- everyone on the board will likely get voted in eventually as long as they behave. lol

As an aside I too think Lebowski should be thanked for maintaining this place as well as he does.

Rosebud
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
If there's a blowup it can only mean either you or maybe Robin has been nominated for entrance into the speakeasy. Regardless, why even bother worrying or warning newbies about it? Let it be -- everyone on the board will likely get voted in eventually as long as they behave. lol

As an aside I too think Lebowski should be thanked for maintaining this place as well as he does.

tooblue, it's not me. I made a request that I not be nominated again.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
05-19-2010, 05:57 AM
And we're better than ever!

beefytee
05-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Like we'd listen to you!

byu71
05-19-2010, 07:31 AM

HUH, I took all that verbal abuse defending you for nothing!

Rosebud
05-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Sigh..... I seem to be sighing a lot lately. That's no good. Time for me to take another break, too?

I've actually got a thread I'm going to post when I get a few minutes. I know... no big deal, but i don't start threads very often. I won't run out again no matter what.

Besides, you know I'd wring your necks for putting me in the middle of another fight. Stop teasing me ;).

tooblue
05-19-2010, 08:08 AM

I understand. I was mostly just being flip and razzing the speakeasy participants. They take the secret forum very seriously sometimes.

BoylenOver
05-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I understand. I was mostly just being flip and razzing the speakeasy participants. They take the secret forum very seriously sometimes.

Sometimes?

Surfah
05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

So serious they ask to be removed sometimes.

tooblue
05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
So serious they ask to be removed sometimes.

Which jacka** did that?

Surfah
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Which jacka** did that?

:what:

RobinFinderson
05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Weird... right now the board is flipping out. A lot of text is appearing as little boxes.

RobinFinderson
05-20-2010, 12:10 PM
Weird... right now the board is flipping out. A lot of text is appearing as little boxes.

Never mind... seems to be a browser problem. I'm having the problem all over the internets.