How the lack of literacy fuels extremism in Islamic countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the lack of literacy fuels extremism in Islamic countries

Tradition is replaced by demagoguery when true literacy in the nuances of Islamic law is absent.

A very interesting take from a panel of Muslim scholars

http://fora.tv/2010/04/20/The_Rise_o...Fundamentalism
    Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Have you read "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin?

I just set it down a minute ago. I'm almost done.

Comment

I have

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Really impressive book.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

It can't all be wedding cake.

Comment

I wonder if the same could be said about Adolescent Christianity?
        Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          I wonder if the same could be said about Adolescent Christianity?
          I think so. I think that Islam as it exists in much of the middle east has a great deal in common with Christianity of the dark ages.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            I think so. I think that Islam as it exists in much of the middle east has a great deal in common with Christianity of the dark ages.
            I've often thought about how glad I am to not have lived before these days because of how Christianity and the State were one, to everyone's detriment. Islam is in that same position right now, only they don't have a Pontiff. They have 15 little pontiffs who make their maps look very much like European one ca. 1450.

The French moved the Pope to Avignon. You can't move Mecca (though, maybe the Kaaba).
            "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

That's a great book. My wife was reading it for her book group and I picked it up and read the whole thing (I'm not sure if she ever got through it). The book did a great job of helping me to understand the people in Pakistan and Afghanistan. It also proves that even if you're kind of a big goof, you can still make a big difference in the world if you're determined enough.

Comment

Working...
              X