College Football and Sunday Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Football and Sunday Play

This topic may have been covered elsewhere on CUF, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

In a Blog from the San Jose Mercury News:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...m-young-issue/

Writer Jon Wilner comments on why BYU will not get into the PAC-12 for various reasons. One particular quote interests me:

* As it moves forward, the Pac-10 wants to increase its scheduling flexibility to provide more broadcast opportunities for networks. BYU would decrease flexibility because it doesn’t play on Sundays.

I am on the Utah to the PAC-12 bandwagon, but if a consequence of the move means that there will be Sunday home games at Rice-Eccles, I don't think I would go to the game. I wonder how many other Ute fans would likewise not attend a Sunday game. It would be extremely difficult for me to be consistent with this if USC were scheduled for a Sunday afternoon game at RES. But at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to go.
    70% of the world is covered by water, for the rest there's Eric Weddle.

Originally posted by utahby5 View Post
    This topic may have been covered elsewhere on CUF, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

Writer Jon Wilner comments on why BYU will not get into the PAC-12 for various reasons. One particular quote interests me:

* As it moves forward, the Pac-10 wants to increase its scheduling flexibility to provide more broadcast opportunities for networks. BYU would decrease flexibility because it doesn’t play on Sundays.

I am on the Utah to the PAC-12 bandwagon, but if a consequence of the move means that there will be Sunday home games at Rice-Eccles, I don't think I would go to the game. I wonder how many other Ute fans would likewise not attend a Sunday game. It would be extremely difficult for me to be consistent with this if USC were scheduled for a Sunday afternoon game at RES. But at this point, I don't think I could bring myself to go.
    I just do not see anyway the PAC-10 would schedule a football game on a Sunday when they have to compete with the NFL. Basketball games and other sports I can see.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      I just do not see anyway the PAC-10 would schedule a football game on a Sunday when they have to compete with the NFL. Basketball games and other sports I can see.
      They won't schedule them on Sunday. Also, there were only 3 men's basketball games played on Sunday in the Pac-10 last year. I think the problem with the Sunday play revolves mostly around the Olympic sports and not the 2 major ones.
      "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Does anyone know what other sports are frequently played on Sundays? And if so does BYU compete in these sports? I think baseball games are frequently played on Sundays but I'm not sure what else.

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
          Does anyone know what other sports are frequently played on Sundays? And if so does BYU compete in these sports? I think baseball games are frequently played on Sundays but I'm not sure what else.
          I believe in the Pac-10 there are a lot of conference games for baseball played on Sunday. I think they do 3 game series that go Fri. Sat. Sun.
          "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Originally posted by USU Coug View Post
            I randomly picked Arizona and here is what I came up with:

Baseball: nearly every sunday they have a PAC 10 game
            Basketball: 3 Sunday games
            Mens XC: 0 sunday meets
            Golf: 3 (out of a bunch) PAC 10 champ is Tues Weds
            Swimming and Diving: 1. PAC 10 champs is Weds thru Sat
            Tennis: 7. PAC 10 champs is Thurs Fri
            Track: 0. PAC 10 champs is on Saturday

I just did the mens team cause I'm lazy, but it doesn't seem to be that big an issue except MAYBE baseball.

Comment

I also checked the PAC 10 champs site. Here are the sports that have championships on a Sunday:

Womens hoops
              Rowing
              Track and Field

Comment

Just checked the Big 12 championship tourny dates. They have way more Sunday dates thant the PAC.

Comment

I think they are mainly talking about the opening couple of weekends before the NFL starts. I don't think ESPN is interested in going head to head with the NFL on Sunday afternoons.

I would assume that the early season Sunday games would always feature either UCLA or Southern Cal playing at home.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    I randomly picked Arizona and here is what I came up with:

Baseball: nearly every sunday they have a PAC 10 game
                    Basketball: 3 Sunday games
                    Mens XC: 0 sunday meets
                    Golf: 3 (out of a bunch) PAC 10 champ is Tues Weds
                    Swimming and Diving: 1. PAC 10 champs is Weds thru Sat
                    Tennis: 7. PAC 10 champs is Thurs Fri
                    Track: 0. PAC 10 champs is on Saturday

I just did the mens team cause I'm lazy, but it doesn't seem to be that big an issue except MAYBE baseball.
                    Baseball is an issue, but I have been saying for a long time that the "no Sunday" argument is a straw man (or maybe a red herring I can never keep those two straight).
                    Get confident, stupid
                    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by utahby5 View Post

This is a courageous decision. I assume you don't watch NFL on Sunday. What could be less condusive to a proper frame of mind for the Sabbath than pro football? Sadly, I fear that you will be in a minority and the Utes would fill the stadium for USC.
                      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

It's true, SU, it's been quite a while since I watched an NFL game on a Sunday. It didn't start as a principled decision, Sundays were just busy days that didn't allow much time for TV. However, I haven't missed it much. I do watch golf majors, and I watch whatever is on TV when we get together with family.

Sunday sports play is an issue in my family. I have a daughter in competitive soccer, which travels for many out of state tournaments, all of which require Sunday Play. We told her the decision was hers, and she said she felt fine with playing on Sundays, because she owed it to her team, as long as we honored the Sabbath in every other way possible. So we have some mixed feelings, but try to approach each situation individually and do what feels right.
                        70% of the world is covered by water, for the rest there's Eric Weddle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                          They won't schedule them on Sunday. Also, there were only 3 men's basketball games played on Sunday in the Pac-10 last year. I think the problem with the Sunday play revolves mostly around the Olympic sports and not the 2 major ones.
                          I don't know about the Pac-10, but some conferences have their championship games in basketball on Sunday.
                          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

Comment

Sunday play is not the issue. It's a euphamism.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                              I don't know about the Pac-10, but some conferences have their championship games in basketball on Sunday.
                              I think there were only 3 this year. The ACC being one of them.
                              "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

Working...
                              X