China Kindergarten Murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China Kindergarten Murders

What kind of insanity drives these knife attackers to kill kindergartners? Does this sort of thing occur in other cultures?

We have had plenty of school shootings over the years, but what's going on in China is different. American school shootings never seemed to occur in such rapid succession as these copycat knife attacks. And unlike many school shootings that are perpetrated by teengers, most of the Chinese knife attacks are by grown men who have gone off the deep end. Some are blaming this on economic inequality in China.

Obviously these people are mentally ill. But it's interesting the way different cultures have specific variations in mental illness and criminal behavior. For example, why is it that serial killers are usually males of European descent?

My favorite culture-specific mental illness is koro, which exists in China and areas of SE Asia. Koro is a disorder where the patient perceives that his penis and testicles are shrinking and disappearing into the body, which the patient thinks will inevitably result in death. There have been several large epidemics of this disorder in China and other Asian countries. It's as if there is some sort of cultural contagion.
    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
    What kind of insanity drives these knife attackers to kill kindergartners? Does this sort of thing occur in other cultures?

We have had plenty of school shootings over the years, but what's going on in China is different. American school shootings never seemed to occur in such rapid succession as these copycat knife attacks. And unlike many school shootings that are perpetrated by teengers, most of the Chinese knife attacks are by grown men who have gone off the deep end. Some are blaming this on economic inequality in China.

Obviously these people are mentally ill. But it's interesting the way different cultures have specific variations in mental illness and criminal behavior. For example, why is it that serial killers are usually males of European descent?

My favorite culture-specific mental illness is koro, which exists in China and areas of SE Asia. Koro is a disorder where the patient perceives that his penis and testicles are shrinking and disappearing into the body, which the patient thinks will inevitably result in death. There have been several large epidemics of this disorder in China and other Asian countries. It's as if there is some sort of cultural contagion.
    I was just wondering this myself. I can't believe how fast all of these copycats are happening. It is a huge country but still, and what horrendous crimes.

Koro is a good one. I also was interested to learn about Nigerian penis thieves recently. ttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1274235.stm
    Cultures when viewed from the outside can be very strange. And they can be very strange when viewed from the inside.

Comment

Working...
    X