PDA

View Full Version : installing crown molding... don't make my mistake

Walter Sobchak
05-10-2010, 02:16 PM
{ redacted }

creekster
05-10-2010, 02:22 PM
You are about 12 years too late. It took me about 120 feet of CM to do a room with about 80 feet of ceiling/wall junction.

I hate crown molding.

Donuthole
05-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I've been intending to install crown molding for a while now, but I keep letting the fact that my mitre saw isn't compound dissuade me. In reality, I think I'm just a bit scared (though I don't know why. My house doesn't even have any angled vaults--though it does have a few 45 deg. bullnose angles. Those scare me.). Did you install real wood molding, or did you go for the foam look-a-like version?

Portland Ute
05-13-2010, 09:51 PM
I've been intending to install crown molding for a while now, but I keep letting the fact that my mitre saw isn't compound dissuade me. In reality, I think I'm just a bit scared (though I don't know why. My house doesn't even have any angled vaults--though it does have a few 45 deg. bullnose angles. Those scare me.). Did you install real wood molding, or did you go for the foam look-a-like version?

I wouldn't do either wood or foam.

Go with MDF.

Brian
05-14-2010, 03:23 AM
pictures. We want to see your handiwork.

jxncoog
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
I put B&B wainscot on my walls of my entry and all the way up my stairs and it gave a fairly formal look to our house (highly uncommon in my neck of the woods where everyone does 'rustic')....but now, I am thinking of doing crown on my vaulted ceilings in my upstairs Living/Dining/Kitchen space. I think it will look great but even with my construction background and having all the right tools I find it intimidating.

FN Phat
06-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I put B&B wainscot on my walls of my entry and all the way up my stairs and it gave a fairly formal look to our house (highly uncommon in my neck of the woods where everyone does 'rustic')....but now, I am thinking of doing crown on my vaulted ceilings in my upstairs Living/Dining/Kitchen space. I think it will look great but even with my construction background and having all the right tools I find it intimidating.

I also have a vaulted ceiling in my living room and have contemplated doing CM but am very intimidating. It is on the list of to do's but it is a very long way down the list.

jxncoog
06-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, if/when I do it, I'll have a long chat with some of my trim carpenter buddies before I start.
Of course, the fun part of doing a project like this is learning how to do it right.

pellegrino
06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

be afraid, be very afraid.

Brian
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Vaulted ceilings are very complicated. At least for me it was.
I got a few short pieces and test cut and fit every angle, then cut the real pieces. It's hard to measure too, so you have to shave off little by little until it fits....