Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will North Carolina be a contender next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will North Carolina be a contender next year?

I am sure that there are on many on this board that could care less but I just looked at Mel Kiper's top 5 for each position in next years draft and he has 5 defensive players from UNC on there. Of those five, four of them are rated #1 for there position. That is some pretty dang good talent on defense. I am not sure what they have on O but they have been putting out some talent recently on that side of the ball as well.

[ame="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5164239"]2011 NFL draft - Mel Kiper Jr.: Best available players at every position as of May 5, 2010 - ESPN[/ame]

You need to be an insider to see the article.

Matt Reynolds is ranked and the 3rd best OT FYI.
    "Take it to the Bank"

there are some rumblings that they should win the ACC. I will believe it when I see their offense be a tad more prolific. Their D will be stellar though.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

For the entirety of my college football awareness, UNC has been a mediocre/underachieving program. Now, there's no question Butch Davis has brought in a ton of talent, but they're one of those schools that have to prove themselves to be legit before I consider them good for more than 9 wins.

To be sure, they have 11 upperclassmen starting on defense, including 7 seniors, and they have T.J. Yates returning as a 3rd-year starter at QB. That's a stiff test to start the season against LSU, though.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        For the entirety of my college football awareness, UNC has been a mediocre/underachieving program. Now, there's no question Butch Davis has brought in a ton of talent, but they're one of those schools that have to prove themselves to be legit before I consider them good for more than 9 wins.

To be sure, they have 11 upperclassmen starting on defense, including 7 seniors, and they have T.J. Yates returning as a 3rd-year starter at QB. That's a stiff test to start the season against LSU, though.
        I agree with your points in them being underachievers and LSU will be a very good test for them to start the season. Because of the talent that they have, they will be a fun team to watch. Butch Davis has proven he can win with talent. I guess this is the year he needs to prove it with UNC.
        "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I have always had a soft spot for UNC from when Mack Brown was there. I like the intensity that a Butch Davis team plays with, but the UNC versions always seem to shoot themselves in the foot.

Comment

North Carolina was 108th in total offense and 98th in passing efficiency. Their starting QB was a JR and had a pass efficiency of 115.

They need that kind of defense just to keep their heads above water.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

http://twitter.com/CougarStats

Comment

Marvin Austin is a complete stud, I followed him in highschool and everyone was shocked he went to UNC.

Offensively they really struggle, Greg Little is a serious talent and they have not found a way to use him effectively he is a top 5 college receiver but they have no one to get him the ball so they put him at running back last year.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                I am sure that there are on many on this board that could care less but I just looked at Mel Kiper's top 5 for each position in next years draft and he has 5 defensive players from UNC on there. Of those five, four of them are rated #1 for there position. That is some pretty dang good talent on defense. I am not sure what they have on O but they have been putting out some talent recently on that side of the ball as well.

2011 NFL draft - Mel Kiper Jr.: Best available players at every position as of May 5, 2010 - ESPN

You need to be an insider to see the article.

Matt Reynolds is ranked and the 3rd best OT FYI.

As long as they continue to pretend that Butch Davis will get them there...they won't win anything. UNC isn't a football school.
                If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way. - Homer

Comment

Money trail ties former UNC coach John Blake to NFL agent Gary Wichard, as far back as 2007.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...ncagents092910

The Tar Heels football program is in deep shit.
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Money trail ties former UNC coach John Blake to NFL agent Gary Wichard, as far back as 2007.

This sucks. I was hoping they could become a power program down there. I thought their recruiting could hurt Tennessee and Georgia.

Comment

Can you show a bigger "lack of institutional control" than coaches taking kickbacks from agents?

They might get the death penalty...

Comment

Originally posted by statman View Post
                        Can you show a bigger "lack of institutional control" than coaches taking kickbacks from agents?

They might get the death penalty...
                        there are some who would argue that the lack of institutional control was the inability to successfully cover it up.

RIP Butch Davis and the Tarheel football team. It was fun to dream big, if even only for a little while.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                          This sucks. I was hoping they could become a power program down there. I thought their recruiting could hurt Tennessee and Georgia.
                          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I think we have a program that will not be playing football in the near future. Will Butch Davis ever get another college job?

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              I am not sure why that is funny. Tennessee relies on recruiting from other southern states especially Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and some Virginia, as well as national recruits (when things are going well). Having another school that can bring in talent from the area increased competition in the Vols key areas.

The Volunteer state does not produce enough talent to stock the program especially since Memphis has traditionally been very good Bama, Ole Miss territory.

Comment

Working...
                              X