Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you trust electronic voting machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you trust electronic voting machines?

I've been reading the Forum on Risks to the Public in Computers and Related Systems - a.k.a., Comp.Risks or The Risks Digest for several decades now. Since I'm in the computer industry, I like to know what risks computers pose to each of us. The two biggest areas that keep coming up over and over are computer controls in airplanes and electronic voting machines.

There is a very good tutorial at http://indiaevm.org/ explaining in simple language how the electronic voting machines in India could easily be compromised and the votes changed, with no record at all that they've been tampered with. It's worth six and a half minutes to watch the video if you are at all concerned about this. Some of the same things could be done with some voting machines used in the United States.

I've used electronic voting machines off and on where I vote, but the current ones produce a paper with the voting information, that I can visually verify, which is then put into a ballot box so that election officials can later verify that the electronic totals are correct. This has the advantage that they get a vote count right away, but also makes it very difficult to tamper with the votes.

I don't trust them. We just have a ballot that is scanned, an where that paper goes I do not know. IMO one of the problems is that there is no federal system for federal elections. You'd think that for a federal election they'd get some sort of national compliance act together that specified the type of security needed for electronic voting machines. Can it be that hard?
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
      I don't trust them. We just have a ballot that is scanned, an where that paper goes I do not know. IMO one of the problems is that there is no federal system for federal elections. You'd think that for a federal election they'd get some sort of national compliance act together that specified the type of security needed for electronic voting machines. Can it be that hard?
      Mandates without funding tend to be disliked, and voting is a local issue.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

I trust the divination of hanging chads more than electronic votes.

Comment

No I don't.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

About as much as I trust a human counting my vote.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X