90,000 mile tune-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90,000 mile tune-up

My (awesome!) car sits at 85k miles, meaning the next time I change the oil, it will be due for all sorts of tune-ups, replacements, etc. etc. blah blah.

For a little background, it's a 2004 Toyota Matrix which we purchased at the end of 2004 with about 2000 miles on it. It was our primary driver up until this past December, and if you do the math, you can see we've put some decent miles on it over the last 5 years. I've changed the oil religiously every 5k, and it has has been through a couple sets of tires and a set of brake pads. Other than that, nothing has been done on it.

This has recently become my daily driver, and I'll probably be driving it for the foreseeable future. Up until this point in my life, my approach to cars has always been to just fix things as they've broken. I'd like to preempt some of those issues with this car.

So my question is this: what procedures, replacements, flushes, lubes, tune-ups, etc. would be a good idea at 90k miles.?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

I thought you drove a Suzuki Swift or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      I thought you drove a Suzuki Swift or something like that.
      I upgraded! I alluded to this in my post, but as of December, my wife drives a minivan, and I now drive the Toyota Matrix she used to drive. I sold the Jellybean to a kid in my ward, who wrecked it a week after he bought it from me.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I upgraded! I alluded to this in my post, but as of December, my wife drives a minivan, and I now drive the Toyota Matrix she used to drive. I sold the Jellybean to a kid in my ward, who wrecked it a week after he bought it from me.
        Funny. I have always wondered what happened to the 1993 Chevy Corsica I sold to a teenager when we lived in Minnesota -- maybe it's still on the road.

Comment

Your owners manual should give you a schedule of 90k maintenance. I'd think that might include new plugs, possibly wires and dist cap and rotor. You'll probably want to flush/change the radiator too if you haven't already. That stuff is pretty easy, my guess is that you could do most of it yourself and save a ton of $$. I wouldn't attempt to change the timing belt, but that probably isn't recommended until around 120k.
          "Remember to double tap"

Comment

Originally posted by venkman View Post
            Your owners manual should give you a schedule of 90k maintenance. I'd think that might include new plugs, possibly wires and dist cap and rotor. You'll probably want to flush/change the radiator too if you haven't already. That stuff is pretty easy, my guess is that you could do most of it yourself and save a ton of $$. I wouldn't attempt to change the timing belt, but that probably isn't recommended until around 120k.
            I went through a 90k service a few years ago on a 2001 Audi A4, which I've since sold. The timing belt was included in that service and boy was it NOT cheap.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I would change the plugs and wires, transmission flush, radiator flush, oil change, and the timing belt.
              I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                I went through a 90k service a few years ago on a 2001 Audi A4, which I've since sold. The timing belt was included in that service and boy was it NOT cheap.
                It is a whole lot cheaper than having to replace your motor if the timing belt fails at 70 mph down the highway. Plus he drives Toyota, not an Audi.
                I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                  It is a whole lot cheaper than having to replace your motor if the timing belt fails at 70 mph down the highway.
                  Oh I know, that's why I had it done - even though I had the service done before the 90k mile date. But still. Youch!
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Oh I know, that's why I had it done - even though I had the service done before the 90k mile date. But still. Youch!
                    I understand your pain...my truck is at 82k miles and I am looking at the 90k service. I was quoted at $950 for the whole deal (and I believe that is without the timing belt/chain)
                    I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
                      It is a whole lot cheaper than having to replace your motor if the timing belt fails at 70 mph down the highway. Plus he drives Toyota, not an Audi.
                      Some years ago I sold an MR2 wiht about 93k on it to some kid (over 18 years old) in the area. I told him, and put in writing on the bill of sale, that the car had NOT received the 90k service and that it needed, among other things, a new timing belt ASAP. Two weeks later the kid came back to my house in a car driven by his old man. Thye were ranting and raving about the piece of crap I sold them and how they were going to sue me unless I gave them their money back. I asked what happend and the old man told me the kid had been driving and the timing belt broke and it bent about 3 valves. Ouch. I asked the old man if he had read the bill of sale. He said he didnt know there was one. I showed him my copy. At this point the kid looks like a whupped dog and the old man says, sorry to bother you and they drive away. I felt sorry for that kid, but not sorry enough to give him any cash.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Some years ago I sold an MR2 wiht about 93k on it to some kid (over 18 years old) in the area. I told him, and put in writing on the bill of sale, that the car had NOT received the 90k service and that it needed, among other things, a new timing belt ASAP. Two weeks later the kid came back to my house in a car driven by his old man. Thye were ranting and raving about the piece of crap I sold them and how they were going to sue me unless I gave them their money back. I asked what happend and the old man told me the kid had been driving and the timing belt broke and it bent about 3 valves. Ouch. I asked the old man if he had read the bill of sale. He said he didnt know there was one. I showed him my copy. At this point the kid looks like a whupped dog and the old man says, sorry to bother you and they drive away. I felt sorry for that kid, but not sorry enough to give him any cash.
                        Smart move.
                        I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

You're fortunate in that your car is pretty low maintenance. Your engine has a timing chain instead of a belt so generally you don't need to worry about anything there. In addition, your engine uses iridium plugs, which have a recommended service interval of 120,000 miles.

If you haven't done it over the past five years, I would recommend a flush of the coolant system and transmission fluid. Also, replace the air filter if you haven't done that yet. And I would normally replace the PCV valve as well.

Other than that, make sure your other fluids are at the proper level and check to make sure the drive belt isn't fraying at all.
                          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            You're fortunate in that your car is pretty low maintenance. Your engine has a timing chain instead of a belt so generally you don't need to worry about anything there. In addition, your engine uses iridium plugs, which have a recommended service interval of 120,000 miles.

If you haven't done it over the past five years, I would recommend a flush of the coolant system and transmission fluid. Also, replace the air filter if you haven't done that yet. And I would normally replace the PCV valve as well.

Other than that, make sure your other fluids are at the proper level and check to make sure the drive belt isn't fraying at all.
                            drive belt = serpentine belt? Or is the matrix a table saw? (I realize that is smart alecky but Ijust couldnt resist; in fact, i do want to know what you mean)
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              drive belt = serpentine belt? Or is the matrix a table saw? (I realize that is smart alecky but Ijust couldnt resist; in fact, i do want to know what you mean)
                              Yes, serpentine belt. I believe the Matrix has one external belt that drives all the accessories - AC, alternator, PS, etc.
                              "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Working...
                              X