No announcement yet.

What online retailers do you buy from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What online retailers do you buy from?

I'm working with JL on a new way for all of us to help contribute to the cost of running CUF. We've joined affiliate programs for a few of the biggest online retailers (Amazon, newegg, Best Buy, etc.) and will be asking CUF users to consider purchasing through our affiliate links as a means of supporting CUF. Since a number of us shop regularly through Amazon and other sites, and they're willing to give us back a small percentage of any sales that we drive to them, we can help pay the CUF bills by doing the same shopping that we'd normally do. We've got a number of program applications still pending, but I want to find out what online retailers you all tend to purchase through. We can then set up an affiliate program with that retailer and get a small amount of money back if you use our link.

So... where do you shop online?
    Visca Catalunya Lliure

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    I'm working with JL on a new way for all of us to help contribute to the cost of running CUF. We've joined affiliate programs for a few of the biggest online retailers (Amazon, newegg, Best Buy, etc.) and will be asking CUF users to consider purchasing through our affiliate links as a means of supporting CUF. Since a number of us shop regularly through Amazon and other sites, and they're willing to give us back a small percentage of any sales that we drive to them, we can help pay the CUF bills by doing the same shopping that we'd normally do. We've got a number of program applications still pending, but I want to find out what online retailers you all tend to purchase through. We can then set up an affiliate program with that retailer and get a small amount of money back if you use our link.

I use Amazon a lot more than anything else, and would definitely try to remember to use any affiliate links from here when I do purchase something. The problem might be that I think there tend to be rules against stuff like that, as it doesn't really bring them any new business and is sort of a manipulation of the system. At least that's how adsense works, so I wonder if most places have something similar.

Comment

Amazon, ebay as I think of more I'll post them.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

I most often frequent www.amazon.com.

Comment

Do we still get a kickback if all we do is steal from them?

I am on the Amazon bandwagon.

Comment

New Egg, Amazon, Frys, BN, iTunes/Apple Store/App Store, eBay, Cabelas.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

In addition to Amazon, I use walmart.com and target.com. Sometimes Zappos.
              What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
              -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Originally posted by woot View Post
                I use Amazon a lot more than anything else, and would definitely try to remember to use any affiliate links from here when I do purchase something. The problem might be that I think there tend to be rules against stuff like that, as it doesn't really bring them any new business and is sort of a manipulation of the system. At least that's how adsense works, so I wonder if most places have something similar.
                I started with the same assumption, but in reading the affiliate agreements for the different programs, it's against the rules for an individual site owner to game the system by clicking on the links yourself, but it's not against the rules for a forum or blog to include a "special advertisers" section in which people are targeted toward preferred vendors. That's what we're doing here.

And it may not bring NEW business, per se, but it does bring REPEAT business, and highly-targeted repeat business at that.
                Last edited by Tim; 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM.
                Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

I shop those crazy one-at-a-time deal sites like whiskeymilitia.com and brociety.com-- it's one company based in slc...

Other than that I rock Amazon, ebay, etc...
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I started with the same assumption, but in reading the affiliate agreements for the different programs, it's against the rules for an individual site owner to game the system by clicking on the links yourself, but it's not against the rules for a forum or blog to include a "special advertisers" section in which people are targeted toward preferred vendors. That's what we're doing here.

And it may not bring NEW business, per se, but it does bring REPEAT business, and highly-targeted repeat business at that.
                    Cool.

Comment

Amazon. Overstock. Target. Wal-Mart. Eastbay. Sierra Trading Post. Campmor. Costco.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

I just realized that I don't think I have ever purchased a single thing on amazon. I need to get a move on.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Itunes, Cabelas,
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

On behalf of the CUF committee, I would like to thank Tim for taking the initiative to do this. He approached me and not the other way around. Tim's a good man.

As the official "owner" of CUF, the money will be routed through me. I want you all to know that I am committed to run CUF as a non-profit entity. I see this group as a community of friends and it just wouldn't seem right to profit from that. If we end up accumulating funds in excess of what it costs to maintain the site, I will donate the proceeds to a charity, provide food for tailgate parties, purchase iPads for illiterate Canadians, etc.

So far you all have been generous with donations and we are in the black. I suspect that our income from the affiliate links will be modest, but our needs are modest. It will be fun to see how this experiment works out.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              I just realized that I don't think I have ever purchased a single thing on amazon. I need to get a move on.
                              You should check it out. It's a retail website that's become quite popular for it's low prices and wide selection of products.

Comment

Working...
                              X