Utah, love it or leave it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah, love it or leave it

After being pointed at the forum by someone at church (it shouldn't be to hard to figure out who), I decided to check out the Cougar/Ute forum. Other than having no interest at all in sports between the two schools (or any stick-and-ball sports for that matter [See quote 1 below]), I'm probably an excellent candidate for membership in the forum. I'm in a mixed marriage - I graduated from the University of Utah and my wife graduated from Brigham Young University. I also have two daughters who graduated from BYU plus one from BYU Idaho and a son who received an associate degree from Ricks College (before the name change) and also went to Utah State.

I've actually been following the forum for several months now, but have hesitated joining because I really want to stay out of religious and political discussions. I'm happy to carry on discussions based on facts - being an engineer and all - but that's often not possible when discussion religion and politics. So if I ever get sucked into one of those discussions, somebody please remind me to stay out of it.

I'm not big on taking up an imaginary existence with a clever user name or avatar, preferring to just be myself and use personal photos or photos of personal things for an avatar. I'll probably change the avatar once in a while as the mood strikes me until I find the perfect one. I won't be changing the avatar every day, though!

I'm a member of a lot of forums, but none as general as this one. None of those are really appropriate for discussing various aspects of life, so we'll see how it goes here.

So why did I pick the subject line that I did for this first message? I'm not anti-Utah in any way, but I've moved on and have no strong desire to return. I still have lots of friends and relatives in Utah, including my son and his wife and their two kids, plus my mother still lives in Salt Lake in the house she and my dad built in the 1940's. I've found that after being gone for more than 20 years, Utah doesn't feel any more like home to me than Boise Idaho (where my wife grew up), or a several other western cities.

So next time I drive to Utah (as opposed to flying like the last few times - and next time as well), I would really like to have a bumper sticker made with the background of the current Utah license plate with Delicate Arch, but with the words "Utah, Love It Or Leave It". And I'll put it right next to my California license plate. And I would do it as much to tick off those who live in Utah and like to complain about it as for any other reason.

Why did I leave Utah? Back in 1988 I was involved in a "layoff" and had to make up my mind whether to take a lesser job in the computer industry and stay near family or to continue with my career and move out of state. After checking available jobs in my particular field of expertise it wasn't hard to decide to move. After a bit more thought, I decided to move near Silicon Valley so that I wouldn't have to move again the next time there was a need to change jobs. You just have to walk down the street for that next high tech job. I've worked for three different companies in the area without having to move. My current job is two miles from my house, so I no longer have to commute 35 miles into Silicon Valley, which is great.

I'll probably be making a few posts on occasion about why Utah can't be more like whatever I happen to like better in California. Utah drivers will be the first on that list. I'll probably also be resurrecting a bunch of threads for a while that the rest of you were probably hoping would stay dead. Oh well. I might have to call myself "the resurrector of dead threads" for a while.

Interests:

1) Motorcycles (I'm on http://utahsba.com on occasion)

2) Photography - of interesting places and things (I don't call myself a photographer, though)

3) Family - trying to keep up with my 12 grandchildren

4) High technology - but not the latest gadgets (I don't even own a cell phone)

5) Music - Especially rock and roll from the 50's and 60's, but I'm trying to broaden my musical interests

6) Travel - mostly to interesting tropical locations, but my wife and I visited Alaska during the past year too

[Quote 1]
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."
    -- Ernest Hemingway

The forum won't let me put an image in my signature? Fine, then I'll stick it at the end of every post.

Welcome Scott. You know, I like Utah; I really do. I grew up there. Most of my family is still there. I was there last weekend. I probably visit there 4 to 5 times a year. I always get back for at least a couple of BYU football games. But it only takes a couple of days for me to start missing New Mexico and wanting to get home to the Land of Manana. I can somewhat relate to your thoughts. I did live in the Bay Area as a kid for one year. California is too crowded for me. But Utah, I left it and haven't really looked back. Welcome to the Board.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

Welcome, I am glad to have you here.

Comment

Welcome Scott. There can never be too many Utes here.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          Welcome Scott. There can never be too many Utes here.
          Also, what are some examples of the 50's and 60's rock you like?

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
            Also, what are some examples of the 50's and 60's rock you like?
            I have a complete set of every top-ten hit, according to the Billboard pop charts, from 1955 through the end of 1971 (from Rock Around the Clock through American Pie), plus most of the top-40 hits of any group that I like in that range of years, plus all of the albums for a few groups that I especially like (e.g., Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel). There can't be more than about three songs in the top-10 list that I really dislike.

About a year ago I checked out the Rolling Stones Magazine Top 500 Songs list and decided to collect as many of those as possible as well. I think I have all but 35 of them so far. That is helping me to appreciate music from other time periods.

I'm also trying to appreciate Country music so I've got a bit of that. I would like to learn more about Jazz, but I don't know enough to know what I like. I'm starting off with Miles Davis and trying to figure out what I like that he has done.

I used to listen to quite a bit of classical music, but for some reason that doesn't seem to do much for me right now.

Comment

Welcome Scott R Nelson. Nice to have you here. Always good to have a fellow Golden State resident on the board, as well as another Beatles fan (we are legion here) and Simon and Garfunkel, as well (love them).

What sort of engineering do you practice?

Regarding Utah, I took the John Stockton and Karl Malone route...immediately after ending my business there, I left it.

Glad to have you.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Ha! Scott (whom I commend for not hiding behind some bogus moniker based on locale) and I are in the same ward. His introduction to this site came from a Gospel Doctrine lesson I was teaching (the usual philosophies of men mingled with scripture). Scott's a good guy, although I have mixed feelings about his presence here as he will see, if he hasn't already, that the occasional insight or deep thought I may present to the class is usually stolen from Pelagius, KatyLied or the rest of the rabble here.

Scott, your intro was thorough, interesting and well-written, but it did not follow the Pellegrino-approved template. And may wuapinmon have mercy on your soul.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  And may wuapinmon have mercy on your soul.
                  If he's been lurking for months, he knows the rules. No question? Great friends? Not likely. (welcome, Scott. I'm rarely serious about anything, and I often hide things in white font. Let's see if you catch it or not.)
                  "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    If he's been lurking for months, he knows the rules. No question? Great friends? Not likely. (welcome, Scott. I'm rarely serious about anything, and I often hide things in white font. Let's see if you catch it or not.)
                    Oh, the tragedy. Welcome, Scotty. I must say that the worst drivers that I have encountered are those in California-maybe they just drive differently because I am a native Utahrd.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                      What sort of engineering do you practice?
                      My degree is in Computer Science, usually called Computer Engineering these days. I've participated in the whole range of software and hardware design as well as some research.

Right now I'm doing computer chip design and verification. And we're behind schedule, so I get to work extra hours for a while. I spend a lot of time in front of a computer, then even more at home participating in forums like this one.

Comment

Welcome aboard, Scott.

Boy I can't wait to hear all of the little things you hate about Utah two decades after leaving. That sounds fascinating.

Why just this week my California neighbors were telling me how much they hate the grid-based street numbering system we use in Utah. They said they much prefer traditional street names like they use in California because that way you can just use a map or a GPS to find your way to an address.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Welcome Scott!

I too am a Californian with interest in photography and motorcycles (BMW Dakar 650). I'm sure we will be best friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Why just this week my California neighbors were telling me how much they hate the grid-based street numbering system we use in Utah. They said they much prefer traditional street names like they use in California because that way you can just use a map or a GPS to find your way to an address.
                            Actually one of my complaints was going to be about them changing perfectly good street names like 8th South and 13th South to Indiana Avenue and California Avenue, respectively.

I never had a problem finding my way around Salt Lake Valley with the old numbering scheme. But now I go back and the streets have new names and I'm no longer sure where I'm at.

Comment

While I'm thrilled to hear there's now a poster who might pick up on my generally ill-timed and poorly-placed allusions to early pop hits, I'm somewhat concerned by your comment that there are "probably only two or three top ten" records that you don't like.

So would you mind telling us, for the record:
                              what were Zager and Evans smoking; whether the purple people eater was in fact ingesting purple people or whether it was he himself that was so regally hued; and whether the morning sun can really be mistaken for a red rubber ball.

Also, if you're feeling particularly ambitious, a bonus question from the 70s: Do you think Brandy would really make such a fine wife?

oh, and welcome to CUF, btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X