PDA

View Full Version : ACLU, get ready to strike!

SeattleUte
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/9436/pac-10-contact-utah-ad-turns-vague

Utah is one of very few legitimate expansion options for the Pac-10. What will be interesting to follow is the local politics if Utah is invited to join the Pac-10 and BYU, as expected, is not. More than a few politicians in Utah probably won't like that and may try to block the move if BYU isn't included. That could get interesting.

On what conceivable basis would LDS lawmakers try to block admission of Utah to the Pac 10 other than using the state aparatus to advance a religion? If this happens the ACLU needs to file a very big lawsuit against the state. A huge lawsuit.

Surfah
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Wrong forum.

chrisrenrut
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
He refrences Lya Woodraska as a source. That should tell you what kind of journalist he is. This is a non-issue. The legislature would not block something that would add money and prestige to the states flagship school.

SeattleUte
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Wrong forum.

hardy har har. not!

Surfah
04-22-2010, 10:03 PM
hardy har har. not!

Not anymore.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-22-2010, 10:03 PM

On what conceivable basis would LDS lawmakers try to block admission of Utah to the Pac 10 other than using the state aparatus to advance a religion? If this happens the ACLU needs to file a very big lawsuit against the state. A huge lawsuit.

Wouldn't the ACLU be interested in the Pac 10 not inviting BYU simply because of their religious beliefs and political stances. That would seem like discrimination. I would LOVE to see the ACLU defend BYU, CB or for that matter 75% of Utah would implode.

All-American
04-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't the ACLU be interested in the Pac 10 not inviting BYU simply because of their religious beliefs and political stances. That would seem like discrimination. I would LOVE to see the ACLU defend BYU, CB or for that matter 75% of Utah would implode.

Absolutely. The ACLU should protect BYU against blatant discrimination by the PAC 10, many of the members of which are funded by taxpayer dollars. BYU has a broader fan base and a stronger athletics department, including a superior football and basketball team, and yet you take Utah because they don't have the Mormon baggage? My blood is boiling!

SeattleUte
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Absolutely. The ACLU should protect BYU against blatant discrimination by the PAC 10, many of the members of which are funded by taxpayer dollars. BYU has a broader fan base and a stronger athletics department, including a superior football and basketball team, and yet you take Utah because they don't have the Mormon baggage? My blood is boiling!

The Pac 10's decision has nothing to do with BYU's religious affiliation per se. If a player won't play on Sunday nothing says an NFL team still has to draft him.

All your facts are debatable in any event. The best case is that over a 20 year time span Utah has had stronger athletics.

My ACLU case, however, would be a slam dunk. Actually, I hope the state tries to make the Pac 10 take Utah and BYU, just for entertainment value.

pellegrino
04-23-2010, 05:13 AM

Ask Ann Richards how Baylor got into the Big XII.

Surfah
04-23-2010, 05:23 AM

The article says nothing of LDS lawmakers.

UtahDan
04-23-2010, 05:30 AM

I ask sincerely how many of them aren't LDS. It can't be many.

pellegrino
04-23-2010, 05:34 AM

Yeah, that's a semantic battle I wouldn't want to undertake.

Surfah
04-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Probably most. Though aren't there a few openly gay lawmakers? I don't follow Utah politics as closely.

Moliere
04-23-2010, 06:14 AM

Someone please tell me that Gov. Herbert is a BYU alum.....

Edit:

Found it...

attended Brigham Young University, but did not graduate.

Someone please tell me he is a big fan of BYU....

Surfah
04-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Someone please tell me that Gov. Herbert is a BYU alum.....

Edit:

Found it...

Someone please tell me he is a big fan of BYU....

Yes. And his son-in-law is Ben Cahoon.

Moliere
04-23-2010, 06:17 AM
Yes. And his son-in-law is Ben Cahoon.

PAC XII here we come!!!!

pellegrino
04-23-2010, 06:28 AM
PAC XII here we come!!!!

more like the rivalry just got more intense because dad wouldn't let little brother show up big brother. Wouldn't that be a bitch for BYU haters Utah fans.

mUUser
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM

On what conceivable basis would LDS lawmakers try to block admission of Utah to the Pac 10 ....

Would be truly pathetic for state leadership to block the advancement of its flagship university for any reason, save affordability, their religious preferences notwithstanding. :anger:

Surfah
04-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Would be truly pathetic for state leadership to block the advancement of its flagship university for any reason, save affordability, their religious preferences notwithstanding. :anger:

I actually agree. But what's with this flagship university business? A lot of people I've talked to think Utah is BYU.

The_Tick
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I thought someone posted on here at one point that there was something of "legal language" in the State that said that one couldn't go somewhere without the other.

That is awesome.

Surfah
04-23-2010, 08:08 AM
I thought someone posted on here at one point that there was something of "legal language" in the State that said that one couldn't go somewhere without the other.

That is awesome.

I think that was more of nod and wink agreement betweent he schools. Though I was wondering if the MWC has any penalties for teams leaving the conference? The Big East added some after they lost BC, Miami, and VT to the ACC. $5 million exit fee and they can't move for 27 months after declaring to do so.

SeattleUte
04-23-2010, 09:55 AM

Lawmakers are free to lobby for BYU; try to hold a gun to the Pac 10's head absent trying to block Utah as leverage. I'm reacting to this famous and highly esteemed Pac 10 blogger (per 3D) saying that these lawmakers would try to "block" Utah from goint to the Pac 10.

Regardless, factually, there's a huge difference between BYU and the Baylor situation. Obviously, Texas is the most influential school in the Big 12. There isn't even an apt analogy in the Pac 10--no school is so dominant in all sports and academically like Texas is. So, I suppose that if Utah were the Texas of the Pac 10, and had other options like the Big 12 or the Big 10, Utah legislators might have enough leverage to tell Stanford, Cal and UCLA, "admit BYU or Utah is gone." But Utah isn't Texas.

SeattleUte
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM

Actually, it doesn't matter. They would still be impermissibly entangling religion and government, even if not due to their own convictions but consituents'.

If they tried this it might be an even bigger PR disaster than Prop. 8. LDS church showing its true colors as an intolerant, aspiring or frustrated theocracy.

SeattleUte
04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I actually agree. But what's with this flagship university business? A lot of people I've talked to think Utah is BYU.

Some of your illiterate friend in the woods there in Virginia?