Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACLU, get ready to strike!

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_...ad-turns-vague

Utah is one of very few legitimate expansion options for the Pac-10. What will be interesting to follow is the local politics if Utah is invited to join the Pac-10 and BYU, as expected, is not. More than a few politicians in Utah probably won't like that and may try to block the move if BYU isn't included. That could get interesting.
    On what conceivable basis would LDS lawmakers try to block admission of Utah to the Pac 10 other than using the state aparatus to advance a religion? If this happens the ACLU needs to file a very big lawsuit against the state. A huge lawsuit.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Wrong forum.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

He refrences Lya Woodraska as a source. That should tell you what kind of journalist he is. This is a non-issue. The legislature would not block something that would add money and prestige to the states flagship school.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        Wrong forum.
        hardy har har. not!
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          hardy har har. not!
          Not anymore.
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_...ad-turns-vague

On what conceivable basis would LDS lawmakers try to block admission of Utah to the Pac 10 other than using the state aparatus to advance a religion? If this happens the ACLU needs to file a very big lawsuit against the state. A huge lawsuit.
            Wouldn't the ACLU be interested in the Pac 10 not inviting BYU simply because of their religious beliefs and political stances. That would seem like discrimination. I would LOVE to see the ACLU defend BYU, CB or for that matter 75% of Utah would implode.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
              Wouldn't the ACLU be interested in the Pac 10 not inviting BYU simply because of their religious beliefs and political stances. That would seem like discrimination. I would LOVE to see the ACLU defend BYU, CB or for that matter 75% of Utah would implode.
              Absolutely. The ACLU should protect BYU against blatant discrimination by the PAC 10, many of the members of which are funded by taxpayer dollars. BYU has a broader fan base and a stronger athletics department, including a superior football and basketball team, and yet you take Utah because they don't have the Mormon baggage? My blood is boiling!
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                Absolutely. The ACLU should protect BYU against blatant discrimination by the PAC 10, many of the members of which are funded by taxpayer dollars. BYU has a broader fan base and a stronger athletics department, including a superior football and basketball team, and yet you take Utah because they don't have the Mormon baggage? My blood is boiling!
                The Pac 10's decision has nothing to do with BYU's religious affiliation per se. If a player won't play on Sunday nothing says an NFL team still has to draft him.

All your facts are debatable in any event. The best case is that over a 20 year time span Utah has had stronger athletics.

My ACLU case, however, would be a slam dunk. Actually, I hope the state tries to make the Pac 10 take Utah and BYU, just for entertainment value.
                Last edited by SeattleUte; 04-23-2010, 12:07 AM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Ask Ann Richards how Baylor got into the Big XII.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

The article says nothing of LDS lawmakers.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                      The article says nothing of LDS lawmakers.
                      I ask sincerely how many of them aren't LDS. It can't be many.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                        Yeah, that's a semantic battle I wouldn't want to undertake.
                        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                        Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                          Probably most. Though aren't there a few openly gay lawmakers? I don't follow Utah politics as closely.
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                            Ask Ann Richards how Baylor got into the Big XII.
                            Someone please tell me that Gov. Herbert is a BYU alum.....

Edit:

Found it...

attended Brigham Young University, but did not graduate.
                            Someone please tell me he is a big fan of BYU....
                            Last edited by Moliere; 04-23-2010, 06:16 AM.
                            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
                              Someone please tell me that Gov. Herbert is a BYU alum.....

Edit:

Found it...

Someone please tell me he is a big fan of BYU....
                              Yes. And his son-in-law is Ben Cahoon.
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X