PDA

View Full Version : Karland Bennett charged with murder

Indy Coug
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700026289/Former-BYU-football-recruit-Karland-Bennett-arrested-in-Dallas-killing.html

MarkGrace
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Yikes.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
KB was a bad seed.

falafel
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM
KB was a bad seed.

Hold on, I don't think we should rush to judgment on this kid.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700026289/Former-BYU-football-recruit-Karland-Bennett-arrested-in-Dallas-killing.html

Let the debate begin. He was a bad seed from the beginning. If he hadn't gone through what he did in Provo, things would have been different for him.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but this is a trajedy for him and especially the person whose life he allegedly took.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Hold on, I don't think we should rush to judgment on this kid.

Sorry PU.

cougjunkie
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Let the debate begin. He was a bad seed from the beginning. If he hadn't gone through what he did in Provo, things would have been different for him.

I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but this is a trajedy for him and especially the person whose life he allegedly took.

Remember the Dallas Newspaper article talking about how it was a modern day lynching what Provo PD and BYU was doing to these kids?

Less than a year later BJ Mathis was arrested for breaking in to a girls apartment while she was sleeping and standing over her bed with his unit in her face before tying her up and robbing her.

Billy Turner has been arrested for 2 DUIs and assault since the incident.

Karland Bennett numerous times and now for murder.

Ibrahim Rashada played NAIA ball, and Antuan Harris has been at no joke 6 different schools, he is now at a small school in Texas finishing his career at 25 years old.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Remember the Dallas Newspaper article talking about how it was a modern day lynching what Provo PD and BYU was doing to these kids?

Yes, but I am not so sure what he has done now proves what was done by the Provo PD and Utah County atty was justified.

I guess this means I can't claim to be a bona fide conservative anymore.:mad:

Edit to your Edit: The fact this many of them have gotten into further trouble is proof they were rotten eggs and were doomed to be so the rest of their lives?? I would like to hear the progressives opinion on this.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM

He did some horrible things in his brief stint at Provo. And I am talking aside from the gang rape accusations.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Less than a year later BJ Mathis was arrested for breaking in to a girls apartment while she was sleeping and standing over her bed with his unit in her face before tying her up and robbing her.

Billy Turner has been arrested for 2 DUIs and assault since the incident.

Karland Bennett numerous times and now for murder.

Ibrahim Rashada played NAIA ball, and Antuan Harris has been at no joke 6 different schools, he is now at a small school in Texas finishing his career at 25 years old.

Yup.

Coach McGuirk
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
He did some horrible things in his brief stint at Provo. And I am talking aside from the gang rape accusations.

That is incredible as he was only here for 3 months, tops.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:11 AM

Horrible (????), why didn't the cops and DA nail him for those things. Prison might have been a good place for him.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:13 AM
That is incredible as he was only here for 3 months, tops.

I know.

falafel
04-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Horrible (????), why didn't the cops and DA nail him for those things. Prison might have been a good place for him.

He plead guilty to the gang rape thing. He got off because the victim didn't want to go through another trial after the first went went flat.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:15 AM

Horrible things don't neccesarily mean criminal things.

cougjunkie
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
He plead guilty to the gang rape thing. He got off because the victim didn't want to go through another trial after the first went went flat.

Yep he took a plea deal and when everyone else was acquitted, he tried to change his plea.

Also I know a guy that was on the jury, he said no doubt they gang banged this girl. Who was 16 years old at the time. But they could not prove that it was not consensual and that she ever said no. The jury felt like they definitely got her drunk and took advantage of her but she only reported it after the guilt kicked in. (similar to Big Ben).

Also her friend was there and what they do not tell in the papers is that she was being tag teamed by two dudes as well.

Indy Coug
04-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Also her friend was there and what they do not tell in the papers is that she was being tag teamed by two dudes as well.

Which is what really raises the question of whether or not it was rape.

cougjunkie
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Which is what really raises the question of whether or not it was rape.

I agree that is why they were acquitted. Did they take advantage of two drunk teenage girls, yep. Was it consensual, probably.

Indy Coug
04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree that is why they were acquitted. Did they take advantage of two drunk teenage girls, yep. Was it consensual, probably.

Agreed. Either way, they obviously should have been booted from BYU.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Horrible things don't neccesarily mean criminal things.

I guess it is semantics. Not saying I am right, but if someone says somebody did something horrible, I think criminal or at least should be.

Surfah
04-21-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess it is semantics. Not saying I am right, but if someone says somebody did something horrible, I think criminal or at least should be.

Should be is appropriate then.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:32 AM
I haven't seen anybody doing it on this board, let me make that perfectly clear. However, I don't doubt some are pleased to have BYU redeemed by having this happen.

It just seems a bit odd to be happy that someone kicked out of BYU goes on to commit further crime so the dismissal is vindicated.

Indy Coug
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
I haven't seen anybody doing it on this board, let me make that perfectly clear. However, I don't doubt some are pleased to have BYU redeemed by having this happen.

It just seems a bit odd to be happy that someone kicked out of BYU goes on to commit further crime so the dismissal is vindicated.

I don't sense happiness.

byu71
04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't sense happiness.

Maybe I used the wrong word. Also, I hope you noted I didn't not say my comment relates to anyone who has posted on this board.

Now that we have that out of the way.

If someone posts, well those of you who didn't support BYU booting this guy out, how do you feel now. He killed someone. I guess that isn't happiness. Is it, I am right you are wrong. Maybe, see the honor code is inspired. Maybe, proof Crowton didn't care and brought in scum bags.

Maybe I am dead wrong. It does feel kind of weird talking like a progressive.

This proves we have to be careful of non-members, minorities and troubled kids. Let em go to Utah, but not BYU. There, that feels better.

Ruby Soho
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM

Tag teamed or Eiffel Tower? :eek:

Non Sequitur
04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I have no comment on this until I hear what SU has to say about it. But I'm pretty sure that if the Mormon Church didn't own BYU, the dude would have never ended up dead in an alley.

pellegrino
04-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I have no comment on this until I hear what SU has to say about it. But I'm pretty sure that if the Mormon Church didn't own BYU, the dude would have never ended up dead in an alley.

pretty big assumption there, we'll never know one way or the other.

I'd like to think that if Gary Crowton had an ounce of sense as to how to deal with incoming freshmen who aren't LDS and have absolutely no idea what life is like in Provo UT then none of these guys would have got into the rape situation to begin with. They may not have made it through four years at BYU, but they wouldn't have been tried for rape. As to whether or not Karland would have gone on to live the life he has, who knows. It's possible that this kid could have turned it around if he had a chance. It's also possible that he was already on a path to self-destruction and nothing could have helped him. We'll likely never know.

myboynoah
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
pretty big assumption there, we'll never know one way or the other.

I'd like to think that if Gary Crowton had an ounce of sense as to how to deal with incoming freshmen who aren't LDS and have absolutely no idea what life is like in Provo UT then none of these guys would have got into the rape situation to begin with. They may not have made it through four years at BYU, but they wouldn't have been tried for rape. As to whether or not Karland would have gone on to live the life he has, who knows. It's possible that this kid could have turned it around if he had a chance. It's also possible that he was already on a path to self-destruction and nothing could have helped him. We'll likely never know.

I think NS was being funny; at least that's how I read it and smiled. He doesn't post here enough.

FN Phat
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Tag teamed or Eiffel Tower? :eek:

:highfive:

Viking
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
The area he is from is not a bad one. Very near where I grew up.

TripletDaddy
04-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I bet he knows your family and half your relatives.

Viking
04-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Reserved for PM

il Padrino Ute
04-21-2010, 07:19 PM
That's too bad. It's always a sad thing to see a kid throw his life away.

YOhio
04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

JL went to school in the area. Probably knows them too.

I.J. Reilly
04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
JL went to school in the area. Probably knows them too.

Reserved for my next BM.

FMCoug
04-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Him and the Simpsons sisters.