Help me build a golf practice enclosure in my backyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me build a golf practice enclosure in my backyard

Nearly 18 months ago we bought a trampoline for our kids. In about 12 months time the intense las vegas sun burned most of it to ash. All that's left is the net and frame from the enclosure. Before I dismantled the tramp, I used to hit practice balls into the enclosure's net, and that got me thinking. With the pole and the net still in very good shape, I'll bet I could use them to make a practice enclosure on the side of my house. There's just one small problem: I have no idea how to do it. Sadly, I'm really not very handy, although I would really like to be.

So I need CUF's collective expertise. Take a look at what I've got to work with. I'm not sure how to work in the balloon or pots, but I know we can figure something out.

Here's a picture of my budding golf star in what could be his world-class practice facility.

As you can see, I have plenty of netting. I think that I will probably have to double it up (cut it in half and put one part above the other). Obviously how its "set up" right now is much bigger than it needs to be.

Now I need suggestions on how to set it up. I would like to make it semi-portable and/or collapsible, since we may be getting a tramp to put in that spot soon. TIA.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Will the sound of your clubs not annoy your wife?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      Will the sound of your clubs not annoy your wife?
      If this works out as well as I hope, I'll have a great excuse to get new clubs.

There are lots of golf nets online.

This one's way too big, but it would be nice to have. But way too big. Apparently its 9'H x 12'W x 12'D. If that's 9 ft high, that woman must be about 4 feet tall.

This one seems closer to the right size, although its hard to tell without some reference in the pic. It says its 10x10x10, but that looking at the picture above, this seems way smaller than that.

This one has an interesting design I guess. Portable, but seems like it would fall over under any normal Las Vegas wind.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

What you need after the net is a decent mat to hit off of. Your typical driving range mats are expensive and they actually don't give you the correct feedback and don't allow you to swing down on the ball. A TrueStrike type mat will run about $500.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          What you need after the net is a decent mat to hit off of. Your typical driving range mats are expensive and they actually don't give you the correct feedback and don't allow you to swing down on the ball. A TrueStrike type mat will run about $500.
          Have you ever used one of those? Looks interesting. Super pricey, though, especially since I'm trying to build this thing for free.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Make sure you put a roof on it. I have one that is about 9 feet tall and its pretty easy to hit a ball over it if you are not standing too close. Especially with my wedges. I will post a pic of it tomorrow, it is one I actually bought from Dicks I think and put it up.
            *Banned*

Comment

The pro shop here uses the true strike mats, they are really nice.
              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Make sure you put a roof on it. I have one that is about 9 feet tall and its pretty easy to hit a ball over it if you are not standing too close. Especially with my wedges. I will post a pic of it tomorrow, it is one I actually bought from Dicks I think and put it up.
                Good tip, thanks. I was actually considering NOT putting a top on it b/c I didn't think I'd go over. But the first time I did it would be trouble, I'm sure. Post your pic when you have a chance.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Good tip, thanks. I was actually considering NOT putting a top on it b/c I didn't think I'd go over. But the first time I did it would be trouble, I'm sure. Post your pic when you have a chance.
                  Yeah I have hit a few balls over my house (its a 2 story house).
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Yeah I have hit a few balls over my house (its a 2 story house).
                    Wait a minute.... didn't you recently say you've never had a bedroom on the second floor? 1st floor master? I don't think so.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Wait a minute.... didn't you recently say you've never had a bedroom on the second floor? 1st floor master? I don't think so.
                      Why not? Many two-story floor plans have a main-level master. They are very practical for a "forever home" as it allows a couple to grow old in the house without having to navigate stairs on a daily basis.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I meant I have never lived in an apartment building with multiple floors. The master is on the 2nd floor in our current house you are correct.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Why not? Many two-story floor plans have a main-level master. They are very practical for a "forever home" as it allows a couple to grow old in the house without having to navigate stairs on a daily basis.
                          We have a room that can be converted into a master bed on the 1st floor. I am hoping not to live long enough to need it though.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Of course I'm aware of first floor master bedrooms. I wasn't suggesting that they don't exist. However, homes with first floor masters usually aren't marketed towards young families, and young families (like Junkie's) aren't usually looking to buy "forever homes."

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                              We have a room that can be converted into a master bed on the 1st floor. I am hoping not to live long enough to need it though.
                              that's the spirit!
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Working...
                              X