PDA

View Full Version : Utah's spring game

BoylenOver
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Who else is attending?

I haven't paid a lick of attention to the team since signing day, but I hope to see a good day from the receivers and linebackers.

Also, I will remember the sun screen this year. Last year my arms and knees got toasted.

Coastal Ute
04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Pretty sure I'll be there. How long is it?

il Padrino Ute
04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll be there.

Coastal - it seems like the game isn't very long. Maybe 60 minutes from when it starts? That includes halftime.

il Padrino Ute
04-15-2010, 11:14 PM
And remember folks who are going to the game, the Salt Lake City Marathon is this weekend.

This (http://www.saltlakecitymarathon.com/assets/1/Photos/2010%20SLCM%20all.jpg) is a map of the route, so folks will most likely have to find an alternative route to RES. If you're coming from the south, by the time the tailgate and game actually start, Foothill should be reopened to traffic.

DrumNFeather
04-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Brian Johnson and Morgan Scalley are the team coaches this year. Losing team has to clean the football facility.

smokymountainrain
04-16-2010, 06:43 AM
What is this spring game you ute fans speak of? When I first saw this thread, I thought it might be some sort of football game played in the spring for the fans to enjoy. But then I came to my senses - that could never happen. Could it? Like, players might get hurt and that would be bad, right?

I'm guessing it's a bunch of people getting together this spring to play monopoly or something along those lines. Boring, but it's all I could come up with.

Brian
04-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I had meetings in SLC, and extended the stay to attend the game.
I have never been in the stadium since the last modification, so I'm excited to see both the team and the turf.

LA Ute
04-16-2010, 07:35 AM
I had meetings in SLC, and extended the stay to attend the game.
I have never been in the stadium since the last modification, so I'm excited to see both the team and the turf.

I will be there too. My sons talked me into going. Any other CUFers going, besides BO, Coastal, IPU, and Brian? We should meet up.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Brian Johnson and Morgan Scalley are the team coaches this year. Losing team has to clean the football facility.

That is pretty cool if they really have to do it.

Senioritis
04-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I went to the muckety muck thingy up at the football offices yesterday afternoon. Good times. I have a couple of thoughts from that.

First, the room with the all americans, the trophies, and all that crap is just brilliant. Seeing the SUGAR BOWL and Fiesta Bowl trophies in the same case is surreal for anyone who followed the mighty Chuck Stobart and Jim Fassel led Utes. I still can't believe what's happened, really. Awesome.

We checked out the IPF, a big old room with field turf. Great for proms. Also would be good for training a local militia.

We then went into the locker room. Not really a highlight. Strong odor there, and more than several jock straps lying around. The worst part was seeing Nai Fotu's gear hanging in his locker while everybody else was out at practice. What a pisser.

Saw the team meeting room. Nice. More whiteboards than an Amway convention. Based on the grades posted by position group, I can confidently state that most of the CB and DL corps would fit in well at Coker. However, I think the TEs have a bright future in academia and message board production.

On the actual practice we watched, who the hell knows? It's totally chaotic, like watching a bunch of really large, really athletic elementary school kids in a somewhat organized recess. Brandon Burton is disgusting. FS looks like it could be a real issue. Utah finally has an actual legit pass catching TE. The DL is absolutely filthy. Terrence Cain can really throw the ball within 10 yards. Outside of 10 yards, uh, it's usually a nice looking spiral. Griff McNabb continues the long tradition of the undersized, overachieving local white kid with skillzzzz.

Also, there was some occasional swearing and profanity. Personally, I was really offended. John Wooden never swore. Neither did Robert E. Lee. You know who did swear though? Lucifer.

All in all, good times. Tom Lovat wouldn't recognize the place.

PaloAltoCougar
04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I went to the muckety muck thingy up at the football offices yesterday afternoon. Good times. I have a couple of thoughts from that....

It remains one of the greatest "what might have beens?" of my life that you did not accompany me on the Val Hale tour of BYU's SAC and IPF a few years back. The commentary would have been priceless, although you would have been disappointed that the locker room smelled dewy sweet and springtime fresh.

SeattleUte
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I went to the muckety muck thingy up at the football offices yesterday afternoon. Good times. I have a couple of thoughts from that.

First, the room with the all americans, the trophies, and all that crap is just brilliant. Seeing the SUGAR BOWL and Fiesta Bowl trophies in the same case is surreal for anyone who followed the mighty Chuck Stobart and Jim Fassel led Utes. I still can't believe what's happened, really. Awesome.

We checked out the IPF, a big old room with field turf. Great for proms. Also would be good for training a local militia.

We then went into the locker room. Not really a highlight. Strong odor there, and more than several jock straps lying around. The worst part was seeing Nai Fotu's gear hanging in his locker while everybody else was out at practice. What a pisser.

Saw the team meeting room. Nice. More whiteboards than an Amway convention. Based on the grades posted by position group, I can confidently state that most of the CB and DL corps would fit in well at Coker. However, I think the TEs have a bright future in academia and message board production.

On the actual practice we watched, who the hell knows? It's totally chaotic, like watching a bunch of really large, really athletic elementary school kids in a somewhat organized recess. Brandon Burton is disgusting. FS looks like it could be a real issue. Utah finally has an actual legit pass catching TE. The DL is absolutely filthy. Terrence Cain can really throw the ball within 10 yards. Outside of 10 yards, uh, it's usually a nice looking spiral. Griff McNabb continues the long tradition of the undersized, overachieving local white kid with skillzzzz.

Also, there was some occasional swearing and profanity. Personally, I was really offended. John Wooden never swore. Neither did Robert E. Lee. You know who did swear though? Lucifer.

All in all, good times. Tom Lovat wouldn't recognize the place.

GREAT POST.

BoylenOver
04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
GREAT POST.

You liked it just because of the SU-approved "SUGAR BOWL".

And the Amway reference, probably.

SeattleUte
04-16-2010, 08:37 AM
You liked it just because of the SU-approved "SUGAR BOWL".

And the Amway reference, probably.

Had you lived through Tom Lovat it would brought a tear to your eye.

Flattop
04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I will be there too. My sons talked me into going. Any other CUFers going, besides BO, Coastal, IPU, and Brian? We should meet up.

I will be there. Monkey is trying to put together a UF.N tailgate before the game. I will see if I can find them this year.

Senioritis
04-16-2010, 08:55 AM
It remains one of the greatest "what might have beens?" of my life that you did not accompany me on the Val Hale tour of BYU's SAC and IPF a few years back. The commentary would have been priceless, although you would have been disappointed that the locker room smelled dewy sweet and springtime fresh.

I swear on my life, I have written and deleted four Summer's Eve jokes. You are much too kind in your setups. Like Tommy Smothers, or something.

I would like to say that if I ever have the opportunity to see Ty Detmer's Heisman in person, I will personally break off his extended arm and jam it up his metallic hind parts. 70-31 THAT!, TEXAS BOY!!!!

I really miss Val Hale. A Hale - Mendenhall tandem would create a vortex of shmarm so powerful that the entire BYU campus might never recover.

But really, who could tell the difference?

Senioritis
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM

I have been planning to go for months and months. Of course, with a wife who is 8 months along with our fifth and, thus, legally insane, I cannot make any guarantees about what tomorrow brings.

smokymountainrain
04-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I would like to say that if I ever have the opportunity to see Ty Detmer's Heisman in person, I will personally break off his extended arm and jam it up his metallic hind parts. 70-31 THAT!, TEXAS BOY!!!!

I think 56-0 might be more accurate. Didn't the utes outscore BYU 31-14 after LaVell showed them some mercy and pulled the future Heisman Memorial Trophy Award winner?

LA Ute
04-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Had you lived through Tom Lovat it would brought a tear to your eye.

As has been observed elsewhere, during the Lovat years the post-game coach's show would often focus on how well the Utes did in the battle for field position.

OrangeUte
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
so - from what i've read about the team thus far, asiata's little brother and vakapuna's little brother are both in the backfield for the utes this year. with asiata sr., tri-wide, and shakerin, i'm feeling pretty good about our running game, even if asiata sr. gets hurt we should be in pretty good hands, at least pedigree-wise.

anyone know how the receivers are looking?

Jarid in Cedar
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
so - from what i've read about the team thus far, asiata's little brother and vakapuna's little brother are both in the backfield for the utes this year. with asiata sr., tri-wide, and shakerin, i'm feeling pretty good about our running game, even if asiata sr. gets hurt we should be in pretty good hands, at least pedigree-wise.

Brooks and Matthews have had a good spring. Most of the "wow" has come from Kendrick Moeai(sp?) at tight end. Also walk on Griff McNabb may have played his way into the rotation in the fall.

OrangeUte
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
Brooks and Matthews have had a good spring. Most of the "wow" has come from Kendrick Moeai(sp?) at tight end. Also walk on Griff McNabb may have played his way into the rotation in the fall.

good. i want a tight end for the utes to put a dagger into cougar nation next year just like andrew george did to us last year.

il Padrino Ute
04-16-2010, 04:25 PM
good. i want a tight end for the utes to put a dagger into cougar nation next year just like andrew george did to us last year.

I'd rather the game be decided early the 2nd half or sooner. Much like 2008.

BoylenOver
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Fun game. Wynn leaving on the 2nd play isn't encouraging, but it's four months to fall camp, so he'll be fine.

McNabb had a great day, and Vakapuna is a beefy dude. The tight ends looked good as well. Moeai and Tonga made some plays. Shak and Wide both seemed to play well. Cain made a great throw on a TD to McNabb, but got an INT returned for a TD.

The defensive line looks explosive, especially Talamaivao. He had great burst, and I'm excited to see how he does from the end position. Didn't notice much from the linebackers, but who knows what that means.

The crowd was great. Definitely above 10k. And the weather was awesome.

il Padrino Ute
04-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Wynn has a slight separation of his left shoulder (non-throwing). He'll start rehab on Monday and will be healthy come fall.

Fiyero
04-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Tonga was a beast today. He's a freshman out of Texas; tall, built and fast. (He was #80 on the red team, to those who were there).

Art Vandelay
04-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Vakapuna is a beefy dude.

Tonga was a beast today. He's a freshman out of Texas; tall, built and fast. (He was #80 on the red team, to those who were there).

Those are pretty familiar names for Cougar faithful and perhaps common Polynesian names, I have no idea. Any relation (other than the common Poly reply "he is my cousin, though I'm not exactly sure how") to the recent BYU grads?

BoylenOver
04-17-2010, 03:25 PM

In addition...

Brooks didn't play, and Matthews didn't get many targets. Christopher had a nice TD.

Coach Whit identified the receivers as a position of concern heading into the fall. And after Brooks, Matthews, and Moeai, I'd have to agree with him. We need some guys to emerge, whether that's Martavious Lee, Terrell Reese, Shaky, or even a Griffin McNabb.

Hot Lunch
Those are pretty familiar names for Cougar faithful and perhaps common Polynesian names, I have no idea. Any relation (other than the common Poly reply "he is my cousin, though I'm not exactly sure how") to the recent BYU grads?

Vakapuna is Fui's little brother. I have no idea about Tonga. I do know that Utah had a Tonga on there team a couple of years ago as well. I think Tonga is more common than Vakapuna.

BoylenOver

Tauni Vakapuna is the younger sibling to Fui. I'm not sure if Westlee Tonga is related to Manase, although he is Reno Mahe's BIL (and Reno was at the game in Utah gear, FWIW)

Hot Lunch
04-17-2010, 03:29 PM
In addition...

Brooks didn't play, and Matthews didn't get many targets. Christopher had a nice TD.

Coach Whit identified the receivers as a position of concern heading into the fall. And after Brooks, Matthews, and Moeai, I'd have to agree with him. We need some guys to emerge, whether that's Martavious Lee, Terrell Reese, Shaky, or even a Griffin McNabb.

Did something happen to Kenneth Scott? I heard Whitt talk about the wide outs in an interview and I heard him mentioning that they were planning on Lee and Resse to come in and make and impact. He even mentioned Dres Anderson but I didn't hear him mention Kenneth Scott and you didn't mention him as well. He had a couple of pretty good BCS offers as well. Did I miss something with this kid?

BoylenOver
04-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Did something happen to Kenneth Scott? I heard Whitt talk about the wide outs in an interview and I heard him mentioning that they were planning on Lee and Resse to come in and make and impact. He even mentioned Dres Anderson but I didn't hear him mention Kenneth Scott and you didn't mention him as well. He had a couple of pretty good BCS offers as well. Did I miss something with this kid?

Good question. There's no issue as far as I know. For me to exclude him is typical, but for Coach Whit to exclude him and include a guy like Dres is something else.

Hot Lunch
04-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Good question. There's no issue as far as I know. For me to exclude him is typical, but for Coach Whit to exclude him and include a guy like Dres is something else.

Yeah I was surprised he mentioned Dres and not Scott in that interview and wondered if something was up. It was on Kall 700 during the middle of spring ball. Just thought maybe you knew something I didn't.

BoylenOver
04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
This is from the Utes official website:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn80/boylenover/Picture2.png

They estimate attendance at 10k. I think it was a little bigger, but from my limited vantage point I honestly have no idea.

Katy Lied
04-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Snapshots. I also posted some photos to the Official Photography Thread.

Louie's got guns.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pRvQjzYUI/AAAAAAAABQM/dPw7TPl4VQA/s512/Sakoda.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pRwv8dfKI/AAAAAAAABQU/TEYioXkF0nE/s512/Kyle.jpg

Guess who?
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pRytE74EI/AAAAAAAABQg/Sl-H_lYfeKU/s512/Sammy%201.jpg

Sammy still can do it.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pRzqUvW8I/AAAAAAAABQk/g4L8agI_C3g/s512/Sammy%202.jpg

Pretzel
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pR0YGCD2I/AAAAAAAABQo/NIkLSYGUK-o/s512/Cheer%2010.jpg

Utah's Tim Tebow: Christian Cox.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pR10kd8BI/AAAAAAAABQ0/GuVaPiZQyMA/s512/Christian%20Cox.jpg

Touchdown
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pQyczK9RI/AAAAAAAABPc/DwDWumfsaO0/s720/TD.jpg

MUSS Hijinks
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pQzW1EXQI/AAAAAAAABPg/2EiI577t11s/s720/Student%20Hijinks.jpg

Alumna
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pQ0AcHaXI/AAAAAAAABPk/MIrIvz8Hwqg/s640/Alumna%20Cheer.jpg

Near naked pirates
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pQ1yt30UI/AAAAAAAABPs/0PhAEL7KW1M/s640/Fan%20Hijinks.jpg

BoylenOver
04-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Great pics, KL. The shot of Sammy is great.

Flattop
04-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Snapshots. I also posted some photos to the Official Photography Thread.

Pretzel
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8pR0YGCD2I/AAAAAAAABQo/NIkLSYGUK-o/s512/Cheer%2010.jpg

Bow & Arrow

Fiyero
04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
KW said "offensively, we are much further ahead than we were a year ago."

And UtahUtes.com had attendance at 17k.

DrumNFeather
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm pretty sure Christian Cox (or who you believe to be) is actually Chad Manis. Just a minor thing, but great pics nonetheless.

Portland Ute
04-17-2010, 07:10 PM
KW said "offensively, we are much further ahead than we were a year ago."

And UtahUtes.com had attendance at 17k.

I'm going with about 13 or 14k. 10K is too low. 17, IMO, is too high.

It was a great turnout. The campus was buzzing. It was a fun, fun afternoon.

LA Ute
04-17-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm going with about 13 or 14k. 10K is too low. 17, IMO, is too high.

It was a great turnout. The campus was buzzing. It was a fun, fun afternoon.

Yes, it was. I got to be there with my two Ute sons and we had a great time. Even got to chat with IPU, sitting a few rows from us, and to meet his very polite and impressive son.

Brian
04-17-2010, 09:11 PM
A great time was had by all. First time at a spring game. great crowd.
The TEs look very good. A couple of really nice grabs by Moeai. Tonga looked great too. Robles has a real nice arm. And Vakapuna can hit.

Katy Lied
04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
This is from the Utes official website:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn80/boylenover/Picture2.png

They estimate attendance at 10k. I think it was a little bigger, but from my limited vantage point I honestly have no idea.

BTW, here's the other side of the stadium
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_fqPwoAxLcxg/S8s9gndEs6I/AAAAAAAABR0/bIzbQyHukQ0/s720/2010%2004%2017_0158.JPG

I figure not quite 10K. But one of the most beautiful spring days I've seen in a while. I ran barefoot across the turf and came home with little black rubber pellets on my toes.

il Padrino Ute
04-18-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm not going to guess how many, but I will say that attendance seems to get larger each year. The east side of the stadium is always empty because the decision makers at the U never allow anyone to sit on that side. And until there is a large enough crowd to warrant opening the east side, it will remain empty.

Of course, the U is so fan-unfriendly that my guess would be that rather than open the east side for seating at the spring game, it will turn people away once the west side is full. There's no reason to believe the fans will ever be accommodated based on the treatment they've received from the athletic department and the Crimson Club.

Hot Lunch
04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Nebraska had over 77,000 people attend there spring game yesterday. I know this has nothing to do with Utah's spring game but I thought that was a pretty impressive number since we are talking attendance.

Portland Ute
04-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Nebraska had over 77,000 people attend there spring game yesterday. I know this has nothing to do with Utah's spring game but I thought that was a pretty impressive number since we are talking attendance.

Hot, do you know, do any of these schools with huge spring game attendance charge admission to the game?

CJF
04-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Hot, do you know, do any of these schools with huge spring game attendance charge admission to the game?

I went to The Ohio State spring game a few years ago with dabrockster. If I remember correctly, it was $5 to get in. There were about 75k or more there. Heck, the Goodyear blimp was there for the game.

Edit. Last year it was $5 also, and Ohio State drew just under 96k for their game. This year it is $5 pre game day and $10 day of the game. If the weather is good, I bet they break last years record this year.

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/2009/04/ohio_state_claims_spring_game.html

Hot Lunch
04-19-2010, 09:28 AM

I have heard that some do but I don't have any proof. I have a really good friend that went to the Auburn game on Saturday and there was 63k at that. He is an Auburn grad and follows the SEC as close as anyone. I will ask him if they do later today or if he knows if others in the SEC do as well.

SeattleUte
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
All these great programs' making big events out of their Spring games really highlights what a punk Bronco is.

il Padrino Ute
04-19-2010, 10:32 AM
All these great programs' making big events out of their Spring games really highlights what a punk Bronco is.

It also says that the U is not as big time as you think it is, doesn't it?

Portland Ute
04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
It also says that the U is not as big time as you think it is, doesn't it?

Et tu, il Padrino?

il Padrino Ute
04-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Et tu, il Padrino?

:confused: