PDA

View Full Version : blocked kicks

creekster
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Is it just me or has BYU blocked an inordinately large number of place kciks this year (both FGs and extra points)? IS this luck of the draw or something that they excel at for some reason? ANy of you gurus care to opine?

In a game like this, it could come down ot a blocked kick, whichmay be one way to let Utah know what a Pac-10 school feels like when it plays BYU.

Mormon Red Death
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Is it just me or has BYU blocked an inordinately large number of place kciks this year (both FGs and extra points)? IS this luck of the draw or something that they excel at for some reason? ANy of you gurus care to opine?

In a game like this, it could come down ot a blocked kick, whichmay be one way to let Utah know what a Pac-10 school feels like when it plays BYU.

What about the Utes? Aiona Key has been stellar about blocking kicks.

creekster
11-18-2008, 05:30 PM

TO be honest, I pretty much ignore the utes until this week.

cougjunkie
11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

6 blocked kicks so far this year. That is very impressive, I think BYU may have figured something out in regards to blocking kicks, either that or they got a huge boost of confidence in that part of their game during the LV bowl and it has carried over. Momentum is a wonderful thing.

il Padrino Ute
11-18-2008, 05:35 PM

I can only think of the blocked punt against Wyoming. Has Key blocked others?

My understanding is that a blocked FG or PAT is more the lack of focus by the kicker than by the guy who gets his hand in the way. I don't discount what the guy who blocks the kick does because he puts himself in the right spot to get the block, but if the kicker is focused and kicks the ball as he should, he won't give the other guy a chance to block it.

Mormon Red Death
11-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I can only think of the blocked punt against Wyoming. Has Key blocked others?

My understanding is that a blocked FG or PAT is more the lack of focus by the kicker than by the guy who gets his hand in the way. I don't discount what the guy who blocks the kick does because he puts himself in the right spot to get the block, but if the kicker is focused and kicks the ball as he should, he won't give the other guy a chance to block it.

He blocked the FG at New Mexico and there was another punt.

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=718026

il Padrino Ute
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
He blocked the FG at New Mexico and there was another punt.

http://www.utefans.net/message.php?id=718026

Dang, I just don't remember those blocks.

I am apparently not the fan I think I am.

Mormon Red Death
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
TO be honest, I pretty much ignore the utes until this week.

I too only watch my rival when its easy.

Brian
11-18-2008, 06:30 PM
has byu blocked any lately?
It seemed like a block a game until the opposition figured out how to prevent it.
But, I don't watch all the games..

creekster
11-18-2008, 06:31 PM
has byu blocked any lately?
It seemed like a block a game until the opposition figured out how to prevent it.
But, I don't watch all the games..

Didn't they block one at air force? Somebody?

cougjunkie
11-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Didn't they block one at air force? Somebody?

Yes Nixon blocked a FG last week vs Air Force.