Lawn Mower Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawn Mower Problems

I have a fairly sturdy lawnmower with a decent sized engine. It is about 4 or 5 years old. Lately, it has had a very hard time cutting grass without stalling. First, I will hear a sound somewhat similar to putting too much stuff down the garbage disposal, then, if I don't stop, it will just stop. I don't have the thickest lawn in the world, and it will do this even if the lawn is not particularly long, and I am overlapping a reasonable amount.

I have never had my blade sharpened. Could this be the cause of this? Or is it more likely that there is some other problem?

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
    I have a fairly sturdy lawnmower with a decent sized engine. It is about 4 or 5 years old. Lately, it has had a very hard time cutting grass without stalling. First, I will hear a sound somewhat similar to putting too much stuff down the garbage disposal, then, if I don't stop, it will just stop. I don't have the thickest lawn in the world, and it will do this even if the lawn is not particularly long, and I am overlapping a reasonable amount.

I have never had my blade sharpened. Could this be the cause of this? Or is it more likely that there is some other problem?
    When was the last time you serviced the motor? I'd start there. Sounds like a fuel issue to me. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Also check the gap on your spark plug and/or replace it. Check your oil level. If this is the first time you have mowed since last year then it may just be bad gas or you got water in the tank over the winter. Might as well sharpen the blade too while you're at it. This is most likely not the issue but can't hurt to have it done along with the motor.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

And definitely have your blade sharpened. You'll be amazed at the difference that will make.
      "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

I agree with Surfah and KC. If you never get it serviced, I would take it and have them do a spring servicing.

Stupid question--you put in new gas didn't you? Its not the same gas that has sat in it from over the winter? If it is, dump it out and put in new stuff. If you have already done that, I would take it and have them go through it. It will cost you $50-70 for that service. They will also sharpen the blades and you will notice a healthier lawn having that done as well.

Comment

I would agree with the old fuel but I would start with the air filter. That is the first line of defense and as such it is the first to get filthy. It sounds to me like you are not getting sufficient air flow.
          I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

what height are you cutting at?
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

What kind of shrubs have you planted?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

when was your last colonoscopy?

Comment

Have you checked your mailbox recently?
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Have you checked your mailbox recently?
                    Checking the male again, falafel?
                    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Comment

Working...
                      X