Alumni day........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alumni day........

Bronco held Alumni day today, one interesting thing he said was that over the past 4 years they have played man defense only 3% of the time. Half of those plays have resulted in plays given up of at least 20 or more yards.

He said Heaps looks like a RS soph with how far along he is already.

Di Luigi will most likely play all slot this year, no RB especially with the emergence of Quezada.

BYU has offered 18 LDS kids in the past 5 years that did not come to BYU, 1 (Hamani Stevens) has gone on a mission.

Said not a chance BYU plays in the Pac-10 with the research and Sunday play being the big reason they are kept out.

Said that the chance of Utah and Colorado joining the Pac-10 is highly unlikely at least according to Craig Thompson and the school presidents.

BYU has 33 straight wins when they give up 24 points or less.
    *Banned*

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    BYU has offered 18 LDS kids in the past 5 years that did not come to BYU, 1 (Hamani Stevens) has gone on a mission.

Said not a chance BYU plays in the Pac-10 with the research and Sunday play being the big reason they are kept out.
    Not to go SU, but it seems kind of creepy-ish to me that they keep track of kids and missions at other schools.

Bronco can say what he wants but Sunday play is a non-issue, this has been discussed before but it just isn't true. Research and Prop 8 are enough though.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      Not to go SU, but it seems kind of creepy-ish to me that they keep track of kids and missions at other schools.
      Seems relevant for recruiting LDS athletes who have mission plans. I'd think they'd also keep an eye on all sorts of stats at other schools like how many players are at their position or get to the NFL ect.

Comment

Bronco can say what he wants but Sunday play is a non-issue, this has been discussed before but it just isn't true.
        I've never been one to defend Bronco - I don't like him very much - but, I'm curious how you know Sunday play is a non-issue?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          I've never been one to defend Bronco - I don't like him very much - but, I'm curious how you know Sunday play is a non-issue?
          I do like Bronco, I think he is just repeating something he has heard a bunch of times and so it must be true, like BYU fans don't travel or spend money.

In a different thread DDD pointed out that there was something like 3 Sunday games in Men's BBall this season. None of the P10 tournaments have Sunday games.

I guess I don't know it is a non-issue, but there is no reason for it to be an issue.

0 football games on Sunday, even on Labor Day weekend when other conferences have started playing on Sunday with no NFL.
          Get confident, stupid
          -landpoke

Comment

I do like Bronco, I think he is just repeating something he has heard a bunch of times and so it must be true, like BYU fans don't travel or spend money.

In a different thread DDD pointed out that there was something like 3 Sunday games in Men's BBall this season. None of the P10 tournaments have Sunday games.

I guess I don't know it is a non-issue, but there is no reason for it to be an issue.

0 football games on Sunday, even on Labor Day weekend when other conferences have started playing on Sunday with no NFL.
            I would have guessed there were more Sunday basketball games. That makes sense. Thanks, HFN.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Thanks, Junkie. Did you also watch practice today?

Will JJ even get a chance to play if he is exclusively in the slot? Seems like there are a lot of guys that can play there.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

The mission thing isn't entirely true. Fua went on a mission. He came home early, but he went. X is going on a mission if he hasn't already left. That's just off the top of my head.

As for the Sunday thing, I do think there is more to it then just 3 basketball games. I haven't looked it up, but what about baseball? What about the Olympics sports including womens sports? I do think it is code for private religious school and that is the rub.
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I hope JJ gets some time. I think he could be very effective out of the slot.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    I hope JJ gets some time. I think he could be very effective out of the slot.
                    His problem in the past was that he couldn't catch the ball. Last year he looked decent in that regard. Hopefully he continues to improve that aspect of his game. He could be very good in the slot if he develops hands of glue.
                    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

How'd you get into alumni day? Zing!
                      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                        The mission thing isn't entirely true. Fua went on a mission. He came home early, but he went. X is going on a mission if he hasn't already left. That's just off the top of my head.

As for the Sunday thing, I do think there is more to it then just 3 basketball games. I haven't looked it up, but what about baseball? What about the Olympics sports including womens sports? I do think it is code for private religious school and that is the rub.
                        Sione Fua did go you are right. X left a few weeks ago, and Mau Nomani also went. I was thinking about this as soon as Bronco said this.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Sione Fua did go you are right. X left a few weeks ago, and Mau Nomani also went. I was thinking about this as soon as Bronco said this.
                          The other thing is when Heaps, Van Noy and Unga are starters this year with no mission do you still want to be selling that line? Are Apo and Stout mission bound?

I really like Bronco the football coach, I grow to dislike Bronco playing future GA more each season. I realize it is a role he was probably instructed he had to play when he took the job. Maybe another season or two of wins and he can just become a football coach, maybe even a little wild man he was at New Mexico and BYU DC.
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

Comment

The other thing is when Heaps, Van Noy and Unga are starters this year with no mission do you still want to be selling that line? Are Apo and Stout mission bound?

I really like Bronco the football coach, I grow to dislike Bronco playing future GA more each season. I realize it is a role he was probably instructed he had to play when he took the job. Maybe another season or two of wins and he can just become a football coach, maybe even a little wild man he was at New Mexico and BYU DC.
                            Apo no, Stout yes from what I understand.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

It will be interesting to see if those two go. I predict one of them will go and one will stay.

In the interest of fairness Nelson won the day yesterday (and last Friday for that matter) including one long touchdown pass to Jacobsen. It's nice to see Nelson opening it up. If he continues on this track we may have a more interesting battle in the fall pitting a Beck style QB vs. a Doman style QB. Judging by this camp I still think Heaps has the inside track.

Comment

Working...
                              X