PDA

View Full Version : Whit tipped his hand a bit today......

cougjunkie
11-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Saying that like last year we will most likely see Sean SMith on Pitta. This is fine by me as a BYU fan, I would love to see Collie matched up with Mccain.

RockyBalboa
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Saying that like last year we will most likely see Sean SMith on Pitta. This is fine by me as a BYU fan, I would love to see Collie matched up with Mccain.

Me too. It's a major mismatch.

I wonder if Utah plans on bringing a Safety over to double most of the game?

cougjunkie
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM

I would imagine they try to double both Pitta and Collie, leaving Reed one on one, which is good for Utah. However I like Unga on a linebacker.

il Padrino Ute
11-18-2008, 05:20 PM

I'd guess that we'd see Smith on Collie rather than McCain, if Utah is going to try single coverage.

My guess is that we'll see double coverage on Collie and single coverage on Pitta. I think Collie is the bigger threat of the two.

If it was up to me, I'd dog Collie all day. His big play capability is what would give BYU the win. As for Pitta, I'd mix up double and single coverage.

I'd also put some pressure on Hall early to see how he reacts to it and if it's anything other than wildly successful, I'd just use a 4 man rush the rest of the day.

Unga is another problem. He can hurt Utah with his running ability, so the Utes have limit him somehow - maybe have the LBs focus on him. Spy, if you will.

BYU creates enough problems that Utah will have to play well, though right now, Utah's defense is better and that gives the Utes the advantage. BYU offense just can't afford to have more 3 and outs than Utah can because of the defense.

Sizzle
11-18-2008, 05:58 PM

You would have to have some help on Collie, if not all the time, most of the time. I would take Collie on McCain all day long and feel great about BYU's chances. If that is the strategy that Utah plans to take, I would not be surprised to see them have a safety over both Pitta and Collie when they are lined up on the same side, and the safety rolling to Collie's side when they are split (almost like half of a cover 21). This does mean likely single coverage on Reed and a linebacker most likely on Unga. I like those odds, as I think Reed is capable of having a big game. George as well if we see some double tight-double wide sets with a single back.

Like Il Pad said, BYU offensively can't afford to have more 3 and outs than Utah has, or else they will be in for some trouble. I imagine a pretty intense game, although it'd be pretty tough to top the last two years (or probably three years if you include the 2005 loss in OT) games.

il Padrino Ute
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I've been thinking a bit more about what I would have Utah do on defense and that would be to be very physical right at the line of scrimmage. Just punch BYU receivers in the mouth at the snap.

I'm not talking about being dirty, but a clean, hard bump right as the ball is snapped to knock them off the route early. (At the same time, BYU could do this just as easily and it could work as well.)

The first team to get into the head of the other will most likely win.

cougjunkie
11-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I've been thinking a bit more about what I would have Utah do on defense and that would be to be very physical right at the line of scrimmage. Just punch BYU receivers in the mouth at the snap.

I'm not talking about being dirty, but a clean, hard bump right as the ball is snapped to knock them off the route early. (At the same time, BYU could do this just as easily and it could work as well.)

The first team to get into the head of the other will most likely win.

The only problem with this is that if you dont get a good shot on Collie you are done, also you are most likely going to have a corner trying to hit Pitta.

il Padrino Ute
11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
The only problem with this is that if you dont get a good shot on Collie you are done, also you are most likely going to have a corner trying to hit Pitta.

True, that is enough to not do it. Unless you get a guy who is expendable and give him a big chunk of cinder block....

DrumNFeather
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Of our LBs, I think Sylvester is probably the best candidate to cover Unga out of the backfield...although I don't know if the Utes can afford to lose him on the blitz.

Is Unga hurt or something? It seems like BYU has made a concerted effort to get the ball to Fui which to me is far better for Utah than the ball going to Unga. BYU seems to really miss Manase Tonga in that regard.

RockyBalboa
11-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Of our LBs, I think Sylvester is probably the best candidate to cover Unga out of the backfield...although I don't know if the Utes can afford to lose him on the blitz.

Is Unga hurt or something? It seems like BYU has made a concerted effort to get the ball to Fui which to me is far better for Utah than the ball going to Unga. BYU seems to really miss Manase Tonga in that regard.

Unga is only a few yards away from 1,000+ rushing again for the season.

However, I'll agree he has looked a little slower this year, and I attribute that to a couple of things.

#1. I think he gained too much weight. I'd like to see him lose about 10-15 lbs in the off-season and be back to his same playing weight of 07, cause it's pretty obvious he's several pounds bigger this year. I think it's slowed him down some.

#2. The offensive line hasn't done a very good job of run blocking and opening up holes for him this year. If there's one unit on this team that deserves to have the overrated or under performed label slapped on them, it's the BYU Offensive Line.

#2A...I think the loss of Tonga had some impact, but probably not as much as people think. I think Fui has done just fine as his role at Fullback this year. So much so that several NFL Scouts have come and looked at him to play that position for them next year. The part where Tonga excelled that Fui still struggles in is picking up the extra blitzer or defender coming for Hall.

cougjunkie
11-19-2008, 09:06 AM
#2A...I think the loss of Tonga had some impact, but probably not as much as people think. I think Fui has done just fine as his role at Fullback this year. So much so that several NFL Scouts have come and looked at him to play that position for them next year. The part where Tonga excelled that Fui still struggles in is picking up the extra blitzer or defender coming for Hall.

I also think Tonga was a weapon as a receiver out of the backfield, much more than Fui.

RockyBalboa
11-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I also think Tonga was a weapon as a receiver out of the backfield, much more than Fui.

Great point. I'd forgot about that.

SipiTau
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Unga is only a few yards away from 1,000+ rushing again for the season.

However, I'll agree he has looked a little slower this year, and I attribute that to a couple of things.

#1. I think he gained too much weight. I'd like to see him lose about 10-15 lbs in the off-season and be back to his same playing weight of 07, cause it's pretty obvious he's several pounds bigger this year. I think it's slowed him down some.

#2. The offensive line hasn't done a very good job of run blocking and opening up holes for him this year. If there's one unit on this team that deserves to have the overrated or under performed label slapped on them, it's the BYU Offensive Line.

Spot on about the weight; there are obvious advantages to shedding the excess pounds.

Does BYU strictly zone block on running plays? It may not always be the OL's fault when a running play doesn't work. From what I've seen Unga & Fui can get impatient & dance around; perhaps they're making the wrong reads and are missing holes & gaps that are there.

BlueHair
11-19-2008, 09:34 PM
Pitta's injury is worse than BYU is reporting. I doubt he plays and if he does, he won't be the same player.

LA Ute
11-19-2008, 10:44 PM
I am told that Utah will try to make sure that BYU doesn't get much underneath, in order to stop Hall from picking them apart with a short passing game. I further understand that Utah recognizes that as a result, they will give up a long ball or two to Collie.

OK by me, as long as the long ball isn't on 4th and 18 with the game on the line.

:eek:

il Padrino Ute
11-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I am told that Utah will try to make sure that BYU doesn't get much underneath, in order to stop Hall from picking them apart with a short passing game. I further understand that Utah recognizes that as a result, they will give up a long ball or two to Collie.

OK by me, as long as the long ball isn't on 4th and 18 with the game on the line.

:eek:

Say it ain't so, LA.

Not giving much underneath is what has cost the Utes the last two years against BYU. It goes against the bend-but-don't-break philosophy that has been the trademark of KW defenses for years.

LA Ute
11-20-2008, 06:29 AM
Say it ain't so, LA.

Not giving much underneath is what has cost the Utes the last two years against BYU. It goes against the bend-but-don't-break philosophy that has been the trademark of KW defenses for years.

I may not have said it well. "Bend but don't break" is indeed what they have in mind. What they will not do is set up the entire defense to keep Collie from getting a long ball, thus opening up the short game for Hall.THey're simply acknowledging that Collie will get one or two longballs, and if they hold BYU to that much, they'll be fine.

I also think Kruger et al. will plan to be in Hall's face much of the game. BYU's offensive line is very good at protecting him, of course, and whether Utah can penetrate will be one of the keys to the game.

RockyBalboa
11-20-2008, 07:11 AM
See I think Utah will try and get pressure in Halls face early and often, while realizing that leaving their DB out on island with Collie will probably lead to 1 or 2 long balls, but if they physically rough up Collie like TCU did and use that kind of pressure to their advantage I think they will.