PDA

View Full Version : Honest question....

Goatnapper'96
03-29-2010, 01:40 PM
do any of you think the BYU coaches could do more to control the Heapsmania from getting out of control?

From what I can glean it appears that Jake Heaps is going to be BYU's starting qb because he is likely the one who gives BYU its best chance to win games next year. It appears from those who have watched practice that he is just the best qb out there. I think the kid is going to be good and perhaps there is nothing that could be done to stop the Heapsmania train from getting out of control. The kid might end up being just so damn good that SeattleUte will never tire of hearing stories about his greatness and glory. But I think even if he does reach that nirvanna of giving '71 guiltfree nocturnal emissions, he is going to have some pretty intense struggles next year. I am not convinced that the BYU fanbase handles disapointment well. It turns many of them into stringpullers.

Saying all that, I just think the only people who can do anything to try and keep this from goin' off the rails on a crazy train is the coaching staff and some of their comments are fueling the fire. Certainly, that is caused by parsing and the efforts to break down what a coach really meant but some of the praise has struck me as something I would think a more experienced coach would not be so forthright.

CardiacCoug
03-29-2010, 01:43 PM
do any of you think the BYU coaches could do more to control the Heapsmania from getting out of control?

From what I can glean it appears that Jake Heaps is going to be BYU's starting qb because he is likely the one who gives BYU its best chance to win games next year. It appears from those who have watched practice that he is just the best qb out there. I think the kid is going to be good and perhaps there is nothing that could be done to stop the Heapsmania train from getting out of control. The kid might end up being just so damn good that SeattleUte will never tire of hearing stories about his greatness and glory. But I think even if he does reach that nirvanna of giving '71 guiltfree nocturnal emissions, he is going to have some pretty intense struggles next year. I am not convinced that the BYU fanbase handles disapointment well. It turns many of them into stringpullers.

Saying all that, I just think the only people who can do anything to try and keep this from goin' off the rails on a crazy train is the coaching staff and some of their comments are fueling the fire. Certainly, that is caused by parsing and the efforts to break down what a coach really meant but some of the praise has struck me as something I would think a more experienced coach would not be so forthright.

Yeah, I think the coaches should temper the enthusiasm a little bit.

One thing we know for sure: Heaps is going to throw 3+ INTs in a loss sometime this fall and there will be a meltdown and calls for him to be benched.

Blueintheface
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM

The brief answer to your question is not really. 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't' when it comes to coaches answering the expected questions. What's more, in the information age it's an impossible train to stop. Kid was rated as the best by a few publications and from there you have a locomotive bound for many ups and downs and possibly a derailment.

SoCalCoug
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM

No, I don't know what they could do, other than completely close practices and not release practice stats.

The thing is, Heaps appears to be exceeding even the expectations of the most optimistic. His knowledge and execution of the offense, according to most accounts, exceeds that of the returning backup, with a year in the system, and a returning RM with two years in the system. Our last starting QB was neck and neck with Cade Cooper during most of spring practice the year he first started.

Heaps isn't helping to temper the enthusiasm by how he's performing. Why is it not reasonable to expect him (at this point, with virtually no struggles in spring practice, where we expected some sort of learning curve) to perhaps be on par with Max Hall as a sophomore?

Yes, two weeks ago, that was a pipe dream. Yet, he's exceeding even the most lofty expectations at this point. Even if he comes down to earth a bit, he's still going to be way beyond what you'd expect from a freshman.

Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't. The most prepared, and perhaps most talented freshman QB has joined BYU which has an experienced and talented returning supporting cast at offense. I don't think it's just Heaps' talent, but it's also the situation he's coming into.

Plus, I'd rather be surprised by disappointment than expect it. I don't want to turn into BYU71.

Commando
03-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Of course. Why don't they tell the players to be publicly neutral in their assessments of the QB race? Most of this has taken off due to commentary from Logan, Reynolds and Doman himself. It's almost like they want to instill bias.

Unless of course, Heaps is so amazing in person that it is futile to attempt neutrality for the sake of keeping the ongoing competition intense. Or maybe they do it to fire up Nelson and Lark. Who knows?

DU Ute
03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
One thing we know for sure: Heaps is going to throw 3+ INTs in a loss sometime this fall and there will be a meltdown and calls for him to be benched.

I'm looking forward to this.

Blueintheface
03-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Heaps isn't helping to temper the enthusiasm by how he's performing.

I'm wondering if some of this success has anything to do with our inexperience on the opposite side of the ball, especially in the front 7. Sure it's just spring drills but not a word out from the defense except of course when they intercept another Nelson pass.

byu71
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Heaps starting will send a clear signal to me that winning football games is the top priority with Bronco and his staff.

I am not saying the other QB's aren't better than Heaps, however if they start the signal isn't clear because they could be getting the nod based on other priorities.

I have no problems if Heaps struggles. My enthusiasm for BYU tosses to and fro based on a lot more than wins and losses per season.

If Heaps starts, for me it is a win for talented players coming to BYU and not having to wait because of some "earn the right thing". Also it tells me the kid plays based on his talent and not the example he is setting for deacons everywhere.

byu71
03-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't want to turn into BYU71.

If you did, you would have to go out and buy a much bigger jock.

SoCalCoug
03-29-2010, 02:40 PM
If you did, you would have to go out and buy a much bigger jock.

Why, you have some uncomfortable swelling? You should have that looked at.

Borg
03-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm wondering too, if the coaching staff walks the fine line of using Heaps to 'hype BYU and give props and pub" to anything and everything BYU.

Part of what these coaches have to do, is "sell their program". We have seen what Heaps can do on his own recruiting trail. If the coaching staff can build off what he has done, use his own hype and publicity..then BYU gains giant steps for the program for years to come (garnering in other recruits, making inroads to other recruits where we might not otherwise have gone, opening doors to new avenues, etc).

The only downside to all the hype, and you touched on this...is that I think there are soooo many uneducated BYU fans, that they turn on our own athletes so quickly.

I am amazed at perhaps some of our star athletes leaving BYU and not really being a "BYU guy" once he is in the pros or whatever. Beck is the only one that I can really pin that is still BYU blue through and through.

byu71
03-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Why, you have some uncomfortable swelling? You should have that looked at.

The swelling has never been for me. I am sorry if you have had such an experience.

UtahDan
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
This post is obviously TIC. Hype and front running are sine qua non of BYU football.

Commando
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
I am amazed at perhaps some of our star athletes leaving BYU and not really being a "BYU guy" once he is in the pros or whatever. Beck is the only one that I can really pin that is still BYU blue through and through.

Austin reps it pretty damn hard.

Commando
03-29-2010, 02:53 PM
This post is obviously TIC. Hype and front running are sine qua non of BYU football.

That's what happens when you have a big fanbase.

Lost Student
03-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Kehl?

SoCalCoug
03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Kehl?

And Chad Lewis

Indy Coug
03-29-2010, 03:07 PM
And Chad Lewis

Mahe

Blueintheface
03-29-2010, 03:10 PM
And Chad Lewis

If Chad Lewis doesn't make you want to maintain your BYU fandom, than you have no soul. This is the only conclusion I can draw listening to the guy.

Commando
03-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I also know that Nixon and Watkins hold it down for BYU in Oakland.

Borg
03-29-2010, 03:58 PM
That's true...all those you list are good "BYU guys". It doesn't get any better than Chad Lewis.

I guess I miss spoke.