PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Wynn interview for you Utes

Coach McGuirk
03-28-2010, 01:15 PM
College Football Nation Blog - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation)

Utah starting quarterback Jordan Wynn (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=482349) didnít have the easiest introduction to college football.

He started his first game against TCU, which had the nationís top defense, and was on the losing end of a thrilling and emotional game at BYU. But four games of starting experience were enough for Wynn to earn the respect of his coaches and teammates and be the undisputed starter this spring.

Wynn, who put on 45 pounds from last spring to last fall, is hoping for a similar transformation.

Wynn took a couple minutes to answer some questions about last yearís experience, his relationship with teammates and his goals for 2010.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0326/ncf_g_wynn1_sw_200.jpg
Ronald Martinez/Getty ImagesUtah quarterback Jordan Wynn is trying to put on weight in the offseason.

How much easier is it going into this spring that it was a year ago?

Jordan Wynn: Itís definitely night and day. Last year I came in and being at 150 pounds and not knowing the offense it was just all a blur. And now, being bigger and having command of the offense, it just makes practice fun. I know what Iím doing out there. Iím getting the reps and just trying to get better.

Iíve been reading everywhere that youíre trying to put on more weight. Howís that going?

JW: Iím actually the same right now. Iím still around the 190 range, but my goal and coach Whitís [Kyle Whittingham] goal for me is to be at 205 going into fall camp. So, thatís what Iím shooting for. I still have another 15 pounds to go.

Do you think your body is rejecting the weight now since you put on so many pounds when you first got to campus?

JW: Itís definitely hard. Iíve kind of hit a block right now. Iím just going to keep trying to fight through it. I know Iím going to get it. Iím determined. Itís just how long itís going to take me.

I know you got thrown into the fire there against some pretty tough teams, but do you look back on that thankful that you got the experience to go against some of those top teams that you played?

JW: Yeah, definitely. Especially the TCU game, playing a defense like that. And going into BYU and going into overtime in that environment. Both were just huge growing and learning experiences for me. It almost made me feel like I played a whole year just off of those two games and the bowl game. Just based off of that experience.

What have you done this offseason to assert yourself as a leader and really take control of this team?

JW: I just continue to be vocal. Thatís something I did last year even when I was behind Terrance. Just be vocal, be a leader and I just try to lead by example. I just try to do the right things on and off the field and just continue to grow and continue to lead this team.

What do the coaches want to see out of you this spring? What changes are we going to see in your game?

JW: Iím definitely going to keep taking ownership of the offense. Iíll continue to grow and just continue to get bigger and stronger. Those two things are big for me and thatís what weíve been talking about.

When you look at your film, what do you feel like you needed to work on from last year?

JW: Itís kind of tough to sum it up into one thing. My footwork can always get better and thatís something I noticed right off the bat. And just continue to make better decisions. You can never be perfect, but you can strive for perfection and so thatís something that, when I watch film, I look for.

How huge was ending the season the way you did with the big win over Cal, especially considering the schedule you went through leading up to that?

JW: It was definitely huge continuing our bowl winning streak. It gives you that confidence in the spring. Going into this offseason, we donít have that loss looming over our heads and thatís something Iím definitely going to continue to grow off of.

How quickly do you think this team started following you and really started believing in you?

JW: Honestly, I really think I had their respect from all the way back in fall camp. They really saw my transformation going from little skinny 150 to 190, 195. I think that opened a lot of their eyes. Itís just a matter of going out there and managing the game and showing them that I could do it.

Honestly, did you think all of this would happen this quickly? That you be able to come in and be the starter for Utah this quickly?

JW: That was always the plan. When I went through recruiting, me and my dad always talked about what was the school where I was going to get a chance to go in early. Thatís always really been my goal, so it didnít come as a huge shock.

What are your goals this year, not just in spring but heading into the fall?

JW: Right now, itís just beat Pitt. Theyíre coming in here on that Thursday night and thatís going to be a huge game. Thatís all Iím focusing on, game one. Iím just trying to take it day-by-day in practice and get better.

Jarid in Cedar
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks Coach. Nice interview.

old_gregg
03-28-2010, 03:36 PM
seems like a good kid, he was definitely put in a difficult spot last season.

il Padrino Ute
03-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for that link, coach.

SeattleUte
03-30-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm reading how he's 6-0 and 195 and trying to get up to 210 and I'm thinking that Griff Robles is 6-5 230 and 22 years old. I really like this kid; his interview after the Cal game convinced me he's got a great head. But I have a feeling Robles will wind up starting, some day. If the unthinkable happens and Wynne gets injured I wonder who starts.

Coastal Ute
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm reading how he's 6-0 and 195 and trying to get up to 210 and I'm thinking that Griff Robles is 6-5 230 and 22 years old. I really like this kid; his interview after the Cal game convinced me he's got a great head. But I have a feeling Robles will wind up starting, some day. If the unthinkable happens and Wynne gets injured I wonder who starts.

If half of the hype regarding Robles is true...

As much as I like Wynn, 4 to 5 inches plus 20 pounds usually makes a huge difference at QB.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
If half of the hype regarding Robles is true...

As much as I like Wynn, 4 to 5 inches plus 20 pounds usually makes a huge difference at QB.

FWIW, many in the uf.n crowd seem to think that Wynn starting isn't a foregone conclusion. His size automatically makes Robles an interesting possibility similar to Munns at the Y. (6'5'' 240)

SeattleUte
03-31-2010, 10:38 AM
FWIW, many in the uf.n crowd seem to think that Wynn starting isn't a foregone conclusion. His size automatically makes Robles an interesting possibility similar to Munns at the Y. (6'5'' 240)

Especially when you consider that Wynn doesn't have a lot of experience himself. If Wynn starts he will be a tentative starter like last year with Cain, I venture. Like Heaps and Wynn, Cain is also a smurf.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Especially when you consider that Wynn doesn't have a lot of experience himself. If Wynn starts he will be a tentative starter like last year with Cain, I venture. Like Heaps and Wynn, Cain is also a smurf.

Despite Cain's stature he proved by winning 7 of 8 that he can lead the Utes as well. Sure he doesn't have the deep ball and pocket presence of Wynn or possibly Robles, but he proved he hit the slant and is a legitimate running threat. With 2 healthy RBs Cain could still be an effective starter and has impressed again this spring. Good problem to have.

Coastal Ute
03-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Honestly, unless Cain has somehow miraculously developed into a legitimate D-1 QB who can do more than scramble and throw 3rd down slants, (which I really doubt has happened) I'm more than happy to observe him on the sidelines talking nonsensically into his Fisher-Price headset.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM

If there is one position in the game of football that height and weight doesn't play a major part in who plays is QB. It doesn't matter if one is 6'5 240 and the other is 6'1 195. It is all about moving the ball up and down the field. Jordan Wynn has proven he can do that. He had more ups than downs as a true freshman. The kid is good. I won't look into the height and weight of Robles and I don't think Utah coaches are either. It is all about who moves the ball. Same goes for BYU and Munns vs. Heaps.

SeattleUte
03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
If there is one position in the game of football that height and weight doesn't play a major part in who plays is QB. It doesn't matter if one is 6'5 240 and the other is 6'1 195. It is all about moving the ball up and down the field. Jordan Wynn has proven he can do that. He had more ups than downs as a true freshman. The kid is good. I won't look into the height and weight of Robles and I don't think Utah coaches are either. It is all about who moves the ball. Same goes for BYU and Munns vs. Heaps.

Robles and Munns sure are getting a lot of blessings for those missions. Good thing they went.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 03:37 PM

I think you're right, except for perhaps the part about Wynn having "proven he can do that". He's 3-2 as a starter and his coming out party truly happened in the bowl game with 4 weeks to prepare. To be fair though, the results would have probably been the same with Cain at the helm. "Proven" to me means drawing from a larger sample size than that. His games against BYU and TCU might be more indicative of how he handles pressure. He didn't play terribly but only completed 50% of his passes and overthrowing was common. Who knows. That's why the QB situation at BYU right now is so dicey. BYU fans have next to nothing to draw from.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 03:38 PM
Robles and Munns sure are getting a lot of blessings for those missions. Good thing they went.

The lord works in mysterious ways SU. I know you have heard that before.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
I think you're right, except for perhaps the part about Wynn having "proven he can do that". He's 3-2 as a starter and his coming out party truly happened in the bowl game with 4 weeks to prepare. To be fair though, the results would have probably been the same with Cain at the helm. "Proven" to me means drawing from a larger sample size than that. His games against BYU and TCU might be more indicative of how he handles pressure. He didn't play terribly but only completed 50% of his passes and overthrowing was common. Who knows. That's why the QB situation at BYU right now is so dicey. BYU fans have next to nothing to draw from.

Let's make sure we remember that Wynn was a true freshman last year. I actually thought Wynn was the only bright spot for Utah vs. TCU that night and he proved that he could step up and make some plays vs. a great Defense. He wasn't consistent but he made a couple of big plays. You could also argue that Wynn played better than Max Hall in the Utah/BYU. I personally thought that he did. So in my opinion he out performed a senior quarterback in one of the biggest games of the year. I think Wynn proved at a young age he could do it. He is only going to get better.

Jarid in Cedar
03-31-2010, 03:48 PM

There was some talk of Robles moving positions because of his size and willingness to deliver a blow. Instead, tt sounds like they are try to gear a package of plays for him to run and occasionally throw ala Tebow as a Frosh.

creekster
03-31-2010, 03:49 PM
Let's make sure we remember that Wynn was a true freshman last year. I actually thought Wynn was the only bright spot for Utah vs. TCU that night and he proved that he could step up and make some plays vs. a great Defense. He wasn't consistent but he made a couple of big plays. You could also argue that Wynn played better than Max Hall in the Utah/BYU. I personally thought that he did. So in my opinion he out performed a senior quarterback in one of the biggest games of the year. I think Wynn proved at a young age he could do it. He is only going to get better.

Your re-nascent Ute-ism is hard to take.

Jarid in Cedar
03-31-2010, 03:50 PM

To be fair, Reid made some ridiculous catches against TCU as well. I agree that Wynn has plenty to build off with the games he played in last year.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 03:55 PM

And you'd be absolutely right. Add in Max's tirade following the game and it's even more fodder for your argument. However, I made no comparison to Max. I realize you only make that comparison to demonstrate his youth but again "proven" to me speaks to a long track record freshman or not. Had he gone 10-3 instead of 3-2 he'd have a fantastic track record and definitely have proven his worth. Again, it's my definition of prove so you can certainly disagree.

cougjunkie
03-31-2010, 04:02 PM

The outplaying argument is kind of lame, because Wynn was clearly facing an inferior defense than what Max had to face.

Also Max Hall still had a higher pass efficiency than Wynn in the game. He also threw 2 tds with no ints.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
And you'd be absolutely right. Add in Max's tirade following the game and it's even more fodder for your argument. However, I made no comparison to Max. I realize you only make that comparison to demonstrate his youth but again "proven" to me speaks to a long track record freshman or not. Had he gone 10-3 instead of 3-2 he'd have a fantastic track record and definitely have proven his worth. Again, it's my definition of prove so you can certainly disagree.

I know that you didn't make a comparison to Max Hall. I did. You talked about Wynn's play in the Rivalry game and I simply pointed out that the true freshman out played the Senior 3 year starter on that stage. To me, that shows promising signs for the future of Jordan Wynn.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Your re-nascent Ute-ism is hard to take.

Sorry, I have always tried to call it how I see it.

I did say that Heaps was the best and most polished q.b. I have ever seen coming out of High School and the kid is the real deal. Does that help? :D

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 04:07 PM
The outplaying argument is kind of lame, because Wynn was clearly facing an inferior defense than what Max had to face.

Also Max Hall still had a higher pass efficiency than Wynn in the game. He also threw 2 tds with no ints.

Agree with the defensive comparison part, but I disagree with the overall comparison. Max played not to lose and it was obvious. He might have had a higher pass efficiency but he looked like the inexperience one out there. But for a number of overthrows, which again speaks to Wynn's inconsistency, the outcome might have been very different. I think we can safely say that neither QB really had a good day while one was starting his 4th game and the other his 34th...or thereabouts.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
To me, that shows promising signs for the future of Jordan Wynn.

Promising and proven are two different things. Your re-classification is more accurate IMO.

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 04:09 PM
Promising and proven are two different things. You're re-classification is more accurate IMO.

In my opinion he has proven he can make plays and move the ball. I wasn't trying to re-classify my statement.

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 04:14 PM
In my opinion he has proven he can make plays and move the ball. I wasn't trying to re-classify my statement.

Too late, you said promising. :D

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 04:21 PM

Actually I disagree with you. Max Hall made one play that game. His rating was boosted by a 1 yard td pass to Manase Tonga that both you and I could have made.

cougjunkie
03-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Actually I disagree with you. Max Hall made one play that game. His rating was boosted by a 1 yard td pass to Manase Tonga that both you and I could have made.

I could have made it for sure. One of us could not and that is why he switched positions. :)

Hot Lunch
03-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I could have made it for sure. One of us could not and that is why he switched positions. :)

:finger3:

Blueintheface
03-31-2010, 04:30 PM
:finger3:

No one likes a redundant Care Bear.

Edit: Wait, he has two hands!