Men can only root for 1 team!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men can only root for 1 team!

According to Scott Van Pelt on ESPN radio, men cannot have a 2nd favorite team. That is something that only women are allowed.

Discuss.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    According to Scott Van Pelt on ESPN radio, men cannot have a 2nd favorite team. That is something that only women are allowed.

Discuss.
    I generally agree with this. Exceptions are made for teams in different leagues. I.e., I feel fine having a secondary AL team or AFC team, with my primaries being playing in the NL or NFC.

The same does not hold true for College Football. You can't have a favorite team in each conference.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Agreed. SVP is very correct.

Comment

You can only have one favorite team in each sport or simply one favorite team across all sports?

By definition, how can you have more than one favorite team in each sport? How can you have 2 favorite football teams? You can follow 2 teams, but how can they both be your favorite?
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          You can only have one favorite team in each sport or simply one favorite team across all sports?

By definition, how can you have more than one favorite team in each sport? How can you have 2 favorite football teams? You can follow 2 teams, but how can they both be your favorite?
          He's saying you can have a favorite team, but not a SECOND favorite team. The "second" in this case is an ordering qualifier and not used with the meaning of "additional".

Comment

The question is issue framed very simply: you cannot have a 2nd favorite. I.e., one that is less favorite than your first. Don't get bogged down by the literal definition of "favorite" as allowing only one option.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

How can you have 2 favorite football teams? You can follow 2 teams, but how can they both be your favorite?
              Yes. How indeed?

Comment

I see hobgoblins in all of your minds. (not that tehre is much room for them there)
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  The question is issue framed very simply: you cannot have a 2nd favorite. I.e., one that is less favorite than your first. Don't get bogged down by the literal definition of "favorite" as allowing only one option.
                  i am not understanding your distinction.

If the second team is less favorite, than by definition, it is not your favorite team. So the maxim holds true: you cannot have more than one favorite team.

Is he saying that you cannot follow more than one team, regardless of which adjective you use to describe your respective allegiance towards that team?

sigpic

Comment

Yikes. I am doomed.

What about children? Do I have to pick just one to love?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                      Yes. How indeed?
                      I don't know. I don't think I have ever heard someone say, "This is my favorite team...and this other team is ALSO my favorite team."

sigpic

Comment

If the second team is less favorite, than by definition, it is not your favorite team. So the maxim holds true: you cannot have more than one favorite team.

Is he saying that you cannot follow more than one team, regardless of which adjective you use to describe your respective allegiance towards that team?

Comment

The maxim is mistaken.

favorite:
                          a. One that enjoys special favor or regard.
                          b. One that is trusted, indulged, or preferred above all others, especially by a superior: a favorite of the monarch.

Both are acceptable. Thus, in theory, it IS possible to have more than one favorite. However, per Scott Van Pelt (and me), definition 'a' violates the spirit and unwritten rules of sports fanaticism.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

He was saying that you could only root for 1 team. I think h gave concession that you can root for 1 team in each sport/category(ie both CFB and NFL)
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              I feel like Mark Grace must feel when he's reading my replies to him. I never know what these pictures are meant to signify.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X